Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mikekhad Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to include the agent in base image? - best practice

Hello,

I would include the ZCM adaptive agent as part of our standard desktop image.

I am planning to install the agent on the master image and right before taking the snapshot do the following:

- Delete the guid (ZAC FSG -d)
- Clear the Image Safe Data
- Clear Cache (ZAC cc - clears)

Are there any other steps that I need to follow to ensure that the agents register correctly on newly imaged PC's.

Thanks,

Mike
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
adrockk Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: How to include the agent in base image? - best practice

Well, in ZCM10 I've found it's helpful to delete the contents of %zenworks_home%/cache/zmd/ (not cleared when you do zac cc) and the devicedata.sav and deviceguid.sav after running "zac fdg -d".

Also, it's very important to rename initial-web-service.bak to just plain "initial-web-service", so that the device registers automatically after the next boot.

(I hope these still apply to zcm11)

0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

If you are reimaging a workstation then don't forget to delete the old registered device in ZCM. I'm not sure if others have issues if you do not. I also have reimaged and in some cases not had issues. But to be sure to be sure, delete the old device.
I have the install file in the image and run it with scripts after the image is loaded, and delete it after registration. If you use the /s switch it will reboot for you after it has installed.
Cheers
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Sorry hit the enter key to quick.

To add to the above, always delete the Image Safe Data before creating your image - zisedit -c
Cheers
0 Likes
adrockk Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with both of these.

GERWIL;2120978 wrote:
If you are reimaging a workstation then don't forget to delete the old registered device in ZCM. I'm not sure if others have issues if you do not. I also have reimaged and in some cases not had issues. But to be sure to be sure, delete the old device.
I have the install file in the image and run it with scripts after the image is loaded, and delete it after registration. If you use the /s switch it will reboot for you after it has installed.
Cheers

ZCM is designed so that you can re-image a device without removing anything from the database. The guid of the device will be saved in ISD, and restored after the machine is re-imaged; It will remain registered as the same object in ZCM after re-imaging it. The Novell Zenworks ISD service should take care of this after the machine is imaged.

To add to the above, always delete the Image Safe Data before creating your image - zisedit -c

Creating an image has nothing to do with the MBR of the disk, which is where the ISD is saved. I see no reason to clear the ISD on the reference machine before making the image. Care to explain why you suggest this?

-Adam

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

so....what is THE BEST practice for including the agent in the image...
0 Likes
wseifert Absent Member.
Absent Member.

erichardson;2122128 wrote:
so....what is THE BEST practice for including the agent in the image...

Here my solution for a standard windows 7 base image used to image new workstations never registered in ZCM:

First You need to build a smal app with autoit, Quick & Dirty Basic or something else (I did it with Delphi) which changes the workstation Netbios Name (for my environment this works, we do not use MS networking stuff as we do not use AD), calls ZCM agent installation via setting runonce option in registry and reboots the workstation imediately.

Take a Windows 7 Installation, add Novell Client, Anti Virus.
Copy appropiate ZCM agent installation package and the app from above to a temp location (i.e c:\windows\temp).
Modify Windows 7 to meet your needs (Default Background Image, UAC Level, ...) You will find tons of how to's for this on the net.
Add registry string value in hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runonce to call the app.
Shut down the master image workstation and take a image.

Now You have a master image which auto runs Your app to change the workstation's name and after rebooting automaticaly installs the ZCM agent which will register the workstation in the ZCM zone after automaticaly rebooting the workstation.

It is a good idea to register the workstation with the name You entered in the app in DNS, ZCM works much smoother in this case.

Werner Seifert
Sen.Systems Engineer
Information Management of the Johannes Kepler University Linz
0 Likes
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is really no one best pratice method for having the zcm agent inside of the image. Going by the postings from both zcm 10 and zcm 11 forums, everyone creates their own steps. For example: I unplugged the prep computer from network before installing the zcm agent in the image, delete the devicedata.sav and deviceguid.sav files, restart the computer into imaging mode and do zisedit -c before taking the image. I have not had any problems imaging computers and in the end that what counts, your results. Develop a method that works for your environment.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Werner,

Although I think there is really no "best practice" for the agent integration, I have to agree with your procedure as we did almost the same because we too have no AD. We call a .bat file where we can put whatever we want easily. Worked like a charm for our initial deployment.

Now as the computers are deployed we use scripted imaging, and in order not to have to load the entire windows image in image explorer we split the part that contains the .bat, the install program, the novell client and the zenworks agent and put it into an add-on image. So we have one add-on image with an install program if we need to reset the computer and don't want to use ISD and we have one add-on image if we want to use ISD for recovery. Works great an no need to delete anything.

Regards,

Marc
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.