Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

How to show Certificate remint status on managed Windows devices

In time of Corona we are in a certificate remint process. Students are sent home in quarantine and, no VPN from remote is possible, so student have to drive by there school to reach WiFi and get connected to ZENworks.

Info: All client is Windows 10

What actions has to be taken from the client side to make sure ZCM agent is home safe according to Certificate remint schedule?

- is "zac ref" enough ?

- can i see the Remint status from the Windows client side ?

Remint status can be seen in ZCC, but a little notice about "all done, you can drive home now" to the student, so they don´t have to stay there for hours.

Regards Ole (be careful out-there)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Hasser, 

I am going to avoid answering publicly because CA-Remints need to be handled very carefully.  I want to avoid a case where someone reads my answers incompletely, out of context, or on a future date when they may no longer be valid. 

I am going to send you a private message.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Looks like your account does not have Private Messages Enabled.

Please send me one with your Contact Info....Thanks!

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

Hi Craig

I'm not able to send you my email here or send private message (I'm limited), so how to carry on?

Regards Ole

0 Likes
Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

Hi Craig

Remint is allready in process, the old certificate expires 1. may 2020, so we are in a hurry, remint is scheduled to 26. april and some of the client has received the certificate already (only 30 of 3000).

For now student have to wait approximately 15 min. before succes in ZCC.

But where to see update complete from client side, maybe tool ”ZENworks_Certificate_Update_Windows.exe” ?

Regards Ole

0 Likes
Highlighted
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I think that will become an issue because we are almost in the same situation. We are changing the internal certificat to external. Mine finish April 12. We will have a decision to make very soon.  I could not do a remint certificate because of a bug when I try the remint process, I decide to try to go external.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore
Commodore

Hi Ole,

without ignoring Craig's warning I would like to share my experiences (Craig also found out something useful for me), running ZCM 2017 U4.1:

• You might check for CertificateActivator.exe in %ZENWORKS_HOME%\bin
  • In addition you'll find a log folder in logs\system-update\<guid of your update>
  • ZENworks_Certificate_Update_Windows.exe was (it still is for a few devices) a nice tool, I used it to fix an issue during remint time and of course afterwards (but then I need an admin to execute).

Regards

Dirk

0 Likes
Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

Hi Dirk, thank for the advice.

It's not possible to get the student to school or near by, so they can reach WiFi do to Corona virus restrictions.

We decided to start over with a clean install of ZENworks 2020 system, recreate applications and deploy newest Windows 10 through Microsoft MDT.

Regards Ole (be careful out there)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Ole,

Be sure while remint is in process to go to the zenworks setup  "Updates" section and grab the Stand alone update executable/rpm.
Location: https://<PriIPAddr>/zenworks-setup under Updates (tab) to download the ZENworks Standalone System Update certificate installer.

You can send via your company's policy (ftp, share, email, etc.).
Once this is ran, it will install the new certificate while the other is in place.
Once expiration happens the new cert will be active when they return after 1 May.

NOTE: Once the old certificate is expired and the new certificate is active... the standalone System Update certificate installer files are removed.  So grab them while in that wait state so you can distribute later.
So even if it is removed from the network a year later you can install this standalone system update certificate installer file and it will connect back, given the object still exists in the zone.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.