Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Install Directory broken?

I've been seeing some strange problems trying to create Install Directory bundles since 10.2. We usually have a dir structure like this on workstations:

C:\Apps\Install
\Logs
\Adobe
\Novell

etc.

When I want something to be installed, I create the bundle by putting all of the installation stuff in a directory structure like that and when I upload to the bundle I simply add the application Apps directory and install it to C:\ and run the script (C:\Apps\Install\MyApp.bat) to install.

This has been working fine until the 10.2 upgrade. Now, when I try to upload during the Directory Install I cannot set the destination directory to C:\. When I do, it simply saves the Action:Directory Install:Destination Directory as C:\\Install. When I go into the action to change it it gives me an error:

An error occurred while saving the bundle information

And will not allow me to save with the correct directory. Also, our bundles setup like this prior to 10.2, have changed their destination directories to include forward slashes:

C:\\Apps/Install

That dir was C:\ before the upgrade.

Anyone else having this type of issue?

jcm
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Install Directory broken?

Jcmeller,

are you running on Windows or Linux? I see this issue if I launch ZCC
from a Linux server, but not Windows... In any case, I will raise a bug
for this,
can you get me customer details please?
Company Name:
Customer Name:
Contact email:
Number of users affected now:
Percentage of Total affected now:
Total users that may be affected:
Production or Test:

please can you send that to spond at novell dot com

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Shaun. I've sent an email with the information you requested.

jcm
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcmeller,

and I have responded 😉

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jcmeller;1805634 wrote:
I've been seeing some strange problems trying to create Install Directory bundles since 10.2. We usually have a dir structure like this on workstations:

C:\Apps\Install
\Logs
\Adobe
\Novell

etc.

When I want something to be installed, I create the bundle by putting all of the installation stuff in a directory structure like that and when I upload to the bundle I simply add the application Apps directory and install it to C:\ and run the script (C:\Apps\Install\MyApp.bat) to install.

This has been working fine until the 10.2 upgrade. Now, when I try to upload during the Directory Install I cannot set the destination directory to C:\. When I do, it simply saves the Action:Directory Install:Destination Directory as C:\\Install. When I go into the action to change it it gives me an error:

An error occurred while saving the bundle information

And will not allow me to save with the correct directory. Also, our bundles setup like this prior to 10.2, have changed their destination directories to include forward slashes:

C:\\Apps/Install

That dir was C:\ before the upgrade.

Anyone else having this type of issue?

jcm

I was just wondering if adding environment variables for your application directories would work as a work-around?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,

Have you heard any word on this on your end?

jcm
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcmeller,

my fault, I should have written a TID for this, doing it now. The issue
is sitting with engineering. However, I can tell you that it's cosmetic
- if you look at the bundle using ZCC launched from a windows server,
the bundle looks fine. I just tested this, and the bundle launches as
expected.

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Already created bundles do seem to work fine, but I get misconfigurations when creating new bundles. They install with incorrect directory structures, which in turn causes my script to fail and the install to fail. I would never have noticed the problem otherwise.

jcm
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcmeller,

can you give me a brief example of what you did, so I can double-check?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I try to have a relatively modular install process. Everything is first copied into the C:\Apps directory.

C:\Apps\My_Application (this is the setup files and config stuff)
C:\Apps\Install (this is filled with batch files for silently installing the app)
C:\Apps\Logs (log files from setup and batch processes)

Since everything is in a common directory structure, I create the images already in that structure and Install the entire directory structure with one action.

New Bundle -> File Bundle -> Install Directory -> MyAppName -> and select the base Apps directory for my install and install it to C:\

When I try to install on the desktop I get:

Zenworks Progress:
Installing
Failure occurred
Complete

Event Viewer:

Category: BundleManager
GenericActions.FileCouldNotBeFound: Could not find the file "" to install.

Bundle Message Log:

Could not find the file "" to install.
Additional Information: None
Severity: Error
Acknowledged Date: None
Message ID: GenericActions.FileCouldNotBeFound

I can get around installing stuff one directory off by simply selecting my parent directory to install to C:\, but the error keeps me from starting the installation script. These errors occur even if nothing else is set as actions.

Thanks,
jcm
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcmeller,

can you set the log level to debug and above, clear the log, re-run
this then send it to spond at novell dot com ? I am trying to reproduce
this again, and by following your notes, I created
c:\apps\app1
c:\apps\app1\file1.txt
c:\apps\app1\dir1
c:\apps\app1\dir1\file1.txt
c:\apps\app1\dir2
c:\apps\app1\dir2\file1.txt
I then created an install directory bundle, with c:\apps\app1 as the
source, and c:\as the destination
When I ran it, I got
c:\file1.txt
c:\dir1\file1.txt
c:\dir2\file1.txt
as I'd expect - this was the same if the bundle was created on linux or
on windows. I only see an error if I choose c:\apps as the base
directory, that's when it doesn't work...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcmeller,

The problem will occur if your ZCM server is on linux. In this case:
1. You will see the destination directory to be different from what you had entered when you created the action.
2. You cannot change the destination directory.

However, your bundle will run fine on the device and will install the bundle to the directory it was supposed to install to. This error is only in the view.

If you want to change the destination directory, then you will need to re-upload the same content again in the action, or you will now have to delete and recreate the action with the correct directory.

If you are finding this to be a major headache, please request Shaun for an ftf for this problem.

- Ananth
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.