CameronT_Aus4006 Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Install of 2nd Primary Server 11.4.1 from base iso has version Sys Update warning

Hi,

I am new to ZEN administration but have been tasked with urgently moving our ZCM 11.4.1 (on expirying W2k8 OS) to a new platform (W2016).

Using the Novell instructions on adding a second Primary Server (in order to remove the existing Primary Server), I have joined to the production Management Zone with the newly-created 11.4.0 server (base .iso), but in the Control Centre GUI there is a persistent warning about version mismatch in the Zone, as the new server is reporting all 11.4.0 versions and the existing server is all 11.4.1 versions.

The Post 11SP4 prerequisite System Update is in the deployment bundle, but fails to deploy to the new server (ie. 'Error' status).  I tried running the zman sui command line option and also running .msi files manually, however, from within ZCC it appears that the 11.4.1 System Update thinks it has succeeded auto deploying to this new server. (I guess this is why the older patch is failing). 

In the install subfolder there are .msi's from both System Updates, but the ones to run for the older patch are labelled as "superseded". Also the 'version.txt' in the install root dir is 10.4.1.5619.

I was able to run CA backup and configuration backup on the production Primary Server ok (although the database backup times out with a Java memory error I haven't worked out how to resolve yet), but the auto replication of the content-repo is 100% fine and both the Post SP4 prereq and 11.4.1 System Update bundles also 100% replicated on both Primary servers. So the two servers are apparently talking to themselves fine and are healthy (other than the version mismatch)

So the new server is stuck with reporting as an unpatched/earlier version of all Zenworks services and cannot get the update to install.

Is there a way to manually sort out this mess in the current state - or alternatively is it possible to remove ZENworks and reinstall the base 11.4.0 iso for the second Primary Server without the install wizard connecting to the Management Zone, which is what I assume auto starts the replication and patch installing (in a random/incorrect order)?

The Error dialogue that appears to every admin when logging in to production ZCC is:

Upgrade Primary Servers Notification:

"Your zone is being upgraded to ZENworks 11.4.1. However, the following Primary Servers in this zone have not yet been upgraded to 11.4.1. You need to take these servers offline, and manually upgrade them at the earliest  (sic)

Note: if any of these servers are in the process of being upgraded, you can ignore this warning. They will be removed from this list once the Agent refresh is completed [OK] "

regards

Cameron.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Regular Contributor.

Re: Install of 2nd Primary Server 11.4.1 from base iso has version Sys Update warning

Additional possibly unrelated info:

I found the VM had zero Reserved Memory despite 16GB of allocated memory, so changed this to 8192MB Reserved and restarted the server gracefully.

I ran the zman database-backup command but it still failed..

C:\Windows\system32>zman database-backup d:\backup\dbbackup.bak

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "C3P0PooledConnectionPoolManager[identityTo
ken->15s7xvna61cq1gy91dftoh4|6b2e36b2]-AdminTaskTimer"
com.novell.zenworks.datamodel.exceptions.InternalDataModelException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at com.novell.zenworks.datamodel.session.hibernate.HibernateInfo$2.run(HibernateInfo.java:196)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:3332)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.java:137)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(AbstractStringBuilder.java:121)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:421)
at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:136)
at org.hibernate.sql.SelectFragment.toFragmentString(SelectFragment.java:151)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.propertySelectFragment(AbstractEntityPersister.java:1409)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.selectFragment(AbstractEntityPersister.java:1374)
at org.hibernate.loader.AbstractEntityJoinWalker.initStatementString(AbstractEntityJoinWalker.java:123)
at org.hibernate.loader.AbstractEntityJoinWalker.initStatementString(AbstractEntityJoinWalker.java:108)
at org.hibernate.loader.AbstractEntityJoinWalker.initAll(AbstractEntityJoinWalker.java:90)
at org.hibernate.loader.AbstractEntityJoinWalker.initAll(AbstractEntityJoinWalker.java:77)
at org.hibernate.loader.entity.CascadeEntityJoinWalker.<init>(CascadeEntityJoinWalker.java:50)
at org.hibernate.loader.entity.CascadeEntityLoader.<init>(CascadeEntityLoader.java:46)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.createLoaders(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3687)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.postInstantiate(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3620)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.SingleTableEntityPersister.postInstantiate(SingleTableEntityPersister.java:1016)
at org.hibernate.internal.SessionFactoryImpl.<init>(SessionFactoryImpl.java:462)
at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1744)
at com.novell.zenworks.datamodel.session.hibernate.HibernateInfo.contructSessionFactory(HibernateInfo.java:473)
at com.novell.zenworks.datamodel.session.hibernate.HibernateInfo$2.run(HibernateInfo.java:192)
... 1 more
Error:com.novell.zenworks.datamodel.exceptions.InternalDataModelException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

ERROR: 11
*** In rolling file appender close()

C:\Windows\system32>

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Re: Install of 2nd Primary Server 11.4.1 from base iso has version Sys Update warning

More info:

ZENworks Adaptive Agent  reports itself as "11.4.0.12063 Update on ZCM11SP4" and it reports ZENworks Updater Service version as "11.4.1.4814".

But the ZCC GUI reports ZENworks Agent version ON THIS SAME SERVER as "11.4.0.8141" and ZENworks Updater Service version as "11.4.0.7900"         

And there just aren't any explicit errors coming up other than the warning at the start of every login to ZCC GUI..

I can't move forward and install to production any newer patches until this problem is resolved....

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

A further clarification, the new server is definitely reporting that all its services are running the SP4.0 binaries ("pre" prerequisite SP4 update that is required before can go to SP4.1) despite the version.txt file in the root of the ZEN-home directory showing 11SP4.1 is installed, and despite many restarts and refreshes in the last few days.

I am about at the point of wiping out the whole server and starting from scratch, but given I followed the Novell instructions the first time I am concerned the same failure will arise again.

0 Likes
obiwan Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Cameron,

I waited a bit to see if Craig comes up with a possible fix for this unsupported configuration 😐 

This spring I had to do upgrades/replacements for two reasons: Remove pretty old W2K8 servers and get the new features of ZCM 2017,  https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7018169# was a great help and approved my plans to avoid 2016 at this step. Right now all my primaries are running 2012R2 and ZENworks 17.4.1 and I would be able to add 2016 primary servers.

So, if no one comes up with a "dirty fix", I would recommend getting rid of the 2016 and use 2012R2 instead.

Regards

Dirk

Regular Contributor.

Hi Dirk, 

Thanks for the heads up. i did not know this platform was unsupported. 

I did see that on the ZCC properties page for the new server it was reporting as a Windows Server 2012 R2 and I assumed that 2016 was just so close to 2012 that it did not see any difference.

Unfortunately, the organisation I work in is extremely under-resourced in the IT area so hundreds of supported applications and platforms are significantly behind their available/recommended versions, but it has been impossible to get management to resolve this. We just have to work with what we've got and struggle through.

I can try recreating a new Primary Server on 2012R2, but am a little concerned this won't be the issue. 

regards

Cameron.

0 Likes
obiwan Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Well, 2012R2 should work like a charm.

However I want to mention this thread where Craig suggested the method of using the "Disaster Recovery" to replace the origin server. Sound like a pretty good idea especially when running  a single primary server.

I can see the advantage, if it's done correctly you don't have to worry about CA and database.

I forgot about this option because I was able to have my process going slowly, so we only had to move the CA Role, our database is external.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The Reason why the ZCM 2016 Server failed is because the Server's Agent will look at the list of supported platforms and go " Oops I'm unsupported and not grab it's assignments....including the System Update".

If you set the following Registry key....

DisableZENCredentialProvider

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-3/zen_sys_registry_keys/data/bvj1efc.html

The the Win2008 to Win2012 of your existing primary should also work.....

From the ZCM side, there should not be an issue so long as the OS itself does not have upgrade issues.

If the VM is virtual, this is great because you can both snapshot and you are not worried about retiring old hardware....

If it's not virtual, you may really want to retire the old server due to old hardware.

Note: Direct OS upgrade is not officially tested....but I know lots of folks who have done it, and the only issue is the same one that impacts Win7 OS upgrades to Win8 or later....which is the need to disable and/or remove the ZCM credential provider prior to upgrade.  On ZCM primaries, you probably do not want automatic ZCM logons anyway.....no accidental software pushes to your primary 🙂

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
Regular Contributor.

Yes, our servers are VM's.

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Thanks, the referenced thread is useful.

Due to the culture of my organisation the preferred method is to not replace the existing production Primary with another server of the same name in one big hit, but to take more smaller steps and add in a second Primary so to migrate the database, CA etc across once everything is healthy. Upgrading to 2017 is unlikely to garner exec approval, unfortunately.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.