New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Installing iPrint client with ZCM

I am trying to install the iprint client to Windows XP WS with ZCM 10.3. I am just learning ZCM and am struggling to understand some of the concepts.

First of all, should I use a 'Directive' bundle or a 'Windows' bundle? I used a Windows-Simple application bundle because that seemed to make the most sense but it looks like I could use a Directive bundle as well. Which is correct?

What I want to achieve is to have a shortcut for the iPrint client appear on the desktop. When the user clicks on the shortcut it will launch nipp-s.exe and install the client.

In the Windows bundle, I set up the action of installing the client under the 'Install' tab. I'm just using nipp-s.exe and with ZfD, all I would have to do is to run this program and it would install correctly. In ZCM, when I double click on the icon on the desktop, I see the iPrint client unpacking the files but then it never installs. What am I missing?

Finally, is it correct to put the launch of the iPrint client under the 'Install' tab or under the 'launch' tab? It seems like both do the same thing in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchuntdnc,

why don't you use a printer policy, which allows for this?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun, this is part of a series of ZfD 7 app objects that we have historically run right after we image a machine. I guess I could use a printer policy - I have used that in ZfD but have not explored it yet in ZCM.

However, doesn't that beg the question? I mean - you really can't have a simpler install than to run nipp-s.exe to install the iPrint agent. How should I be doing this using a bundle? Should I use a 'directive' or 'Windows' bundle? And should I be using an 'Install' or 'launch' action?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchuntdnc,

> Should I use a 'directive'
> or 'Windows' bundle? And should I be using an 'Install' or 'launch'
> action?
>

your choice ZCM isn't as rigid as ZDM, it just needs to be configured
to run the executable - how are you running it, as the logged-in user
perhaps, and if so, do they have the correct rights?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I am running it as the logged in user. The user is a local administrator on the WS I believe, but I will check. I do see the nipp-s.exe unzip dialog where the files are unzipped but then I don't see the installation and nothing shows up in the system tray or iprint executibles in system32.

In general, when should I use the 'Install' option and when should I use the 'launch' option when setting up a simple Windows app? I assume that 'launch' would be used more for running an app over and over such as a shortcut to a program that is already installed? But I could 'install' an application or 'launch' an application from either the Install or Launch tabs of the bundle, is that correct? I'm trying to learn the correct way to set up applications.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchuntdnc,

> Yes, I am running it as the logged in user. The user is a local
> administrator on the WS I believe, but I will check. I do see the
> nipp-s.exe unzip dialog where the files are unzipped but then I don't
> see the installation and nothing shows up in the system tray or iprint
> executibles in system32.
>

OK, I would ensure that you local logs are set to debug level, try this
and look at zmd-messages.log

> In general, when should I use the 'Install' option and when should I
> use the 'launch' option when setting up a simple Windows app? I assume
> that 'launch' would be used more for running an app over and over such
> as a shortcut to a program that is already installed? But I could
> 'install' an application or 'launch' an application from either the
> Install or Launch tabs of the bundle, is that correct? I'm trying to
> learn the correct way to set up applications.
>

yes, you are right, launch would usually be best for actions that need to
take place every time - the different schedules allow for even more
flexibility...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun, I was able to get a debug log on the PC when I try to install iPrint. My problem is I can't figure out how to post it as an attachment.

According to the help in the forum, you should see a 'Manage Attachments' button at the bottom of the reply but I don't see it, even when I choose the 'advanced reply'. I have checked my forum settings and I have 'Enhanced Attachment Uploading on' in my settings but I don't see how to upload an attachment.

What am I missing?

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchuntdnc,

for the moment, you can send it to me spond at novell dot com

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.