Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
MCCFL_MLA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Invenotry - Non Agent Devices / Manual Add additional items

Maybe I have missed this in the documentation, Is there a way to add non inventoried devices to the inventory or asset list?

For instance, we have a bunch of VIDYO video codecs that we would like to have in our inventory in zcm, however they are not able to have an agent or inventory agent installed. Instead of having to keep track of this in a different database, can these be added manually?

If someone has the info or can point me in the direction in a manual or TID, that would be great.

Thanks!
Patrick
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Invenotry - Non Agent Devices / Manual Add additional it

I think the "Portable Collector" is what you want....
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-1/zen_inventory/data/ba8ydh6.html
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
MCCFL_MLA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have not used the portable before, and it may help however, I believe after reading the documentation, this would allow me to manually collect the data via Running the agent on a device. This will work in some circumstances. However, I am looking to see if you can manually import or enter a printer, or a Device that is not connected to the network, and is not able to have a portable agent ran against it (NO operating system). (I could be missing this in the portable agent documentation!)

For instance,

Non networked UPS
IP Phone
Printer
"Vidyo" Video Codecs (They are a custom locked down Windows PE Image)
Other Items as well.

I am attempting to eliminate the numerous different locations for tracking equipment.

Does that Make sense?
0 Likes
Highlighted
MCCFL_MLA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I may have found a way.

Run a deployment discovery. This will Identify all network devices that respond. Once complete, and Once identified. You can go to "Devices" select tab "Discovered" This will list all the devices identified including "unknown"

You can then manually add the ASSET information:

• Manufacturer
  • Model
  • Serial Number
  • Asset Tag

This may even be able to be used with the SNMP strings for printers, etc.... I have not tested it. Will take a run and reply back once confirmed.

This said, still unsure how to add an asset thats not discovered.

Thanks!
Patrick
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.