jscotto Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is my satelite server working?

I have setup a Satelite Server at a secondary location connected through a fairly slow WAN link. I then setup my closest server rules based on IP range. However, after installing my first workstation at the remote location, I noticed that the agent status screen says that the management server is my primary server.

How can I tell if my workstations are working from (and reporting to) the satelite server and not just going across my WAN link to talk directly to the primary? I'd like to ensure that things are working correctly before I deploy 75 workstations and possibly saturate my WAN connection.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Is my satelite server working?

jscotto;1939141 wrote:
I have setup a Satelite Server at a secondary location connected through a fairly slow WAN link. I then setup my closest server rules based on IP range. However, after installing my first workstation at the remote location, I noticed that the agent status screen says that the management server is my primary server.

How can I tell if my workstations are working from (and reporting to) the satelite server and not just going across my WAN link to talk directly to the primary? I'd like to ensure that things are working correctly before I deploy 75 workstations and possibly saturate my WAN connection.

Thanks in advance.

How to determine the closest server rules as seen by the managed agent

Thomas
0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi jscotto,

The device is always contacting the primary server for configuration, authentication and bundle assignement. This is why you can see the device is manage by the primary.

After the device know what bundle is assign it should contact the satelitte for content, inventory, and status messages instead of the primary.

To now what closest rule the device know
How to determine the closest server rules as seen by the managed agent

If you have windows satellite on your remote site you can see in the properties on the zicon something talking about the size of the content delivered to devices.

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
jscotto Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mdallair;1939163 wrote:
Hi jscotto,

The device is always contacting the primary server for configuration, authentication and bundle assignement. This is why you can see the device is manage by the primary.

Ok... I'm scared.

How much traffic is generated by this communication with the primary? I was getting ready to roll out 75 PC's and my only connection back to the primary is a n already heavily utilized T1 (1.5mbps up/down)

Am I asking for trouble here?
0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

If you have a local satellite server with all the content your devices needs you don't have to be scare. You should not configure your device to refresh too often.

The traffic for authentication and bundle assignement is not to heavy.

Please look at the best practice guide for information about wan setup

Novell Documentation

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.