Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2069 views

LDAP - AD/ED Imports

I see that it is possible to perform Active Directory imports
into ZENworks Asset Management using a public AD import task.

Has anyone managed/does anyone know if it is possible to perform
an eDirectory LDAP lookup? I can connect on port 389 to an ED LDAP
server - public or authenticated however ZAM appears to be looking
specifically for AD tables as the 'mappings' are blank.

Any ideas on how to shoehorn this in? Or whether there are plans
to support it?

Cheers,

Dan

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

LDAP - AD/ED Imports

Hey Dan,

No, you can't import from eDir in this way, as the import is only designed
for the AD directory structure / object type (you may be able to emulate
this with some funky LDAP mappings in eDir, but then the object types and
all attributes would have to follow the AD format- so very probably this is
not practical).

In the next release of ZAM - integrated into ZCM (due this fall, I think)
I expect (read: sure hope) Novell will add this, as ZCM will be contacting
eDirectory (and AD) via LDAP for all user-based information.

If you're from a ZENworks background and you haven't heard of ZCM, look at
Novell Connection magazine and/or the Novell website, as it takes a little
while to get your head around the new ZCM architecture.

In the meantime, do you use ZfD / ZDM? If so, you can parse eDir
attributes into a ZfD application to write these to the workstation
registry, and then configure ZAM to pick up these registry entries - either
as UDFs or in the default ZAM fields (Site, Department, email address etc.).

This is covered in the ZAM ATT course - there may also be a TID or
CoolSolution on this, so worth you searching the Novell website (if you
haven't already).

Hope this helps.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: LDAP - AD/ED Imports

As I thought - you can but hope! Nice idea with the ZfD app - I'll give
that a go.

I've had a preview of ZCM/Pulsar last December at a ZENworker update in
Oxford, UK - looking good - we can't wait for it over here!

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Dan Packwood
dan.packwood@halliwells.com
Infrastructure Analyst
Halliwells LLP (UK)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:45:03 +0000, WoofaJB
wrote:

> Hey Dan,
>
> No, you can't import from eDir in this way, as the import is only designed
> for the AD directory structure / object type (you may be able to emulate
> this with some funky LDAP mappings in eDir, but then the object types and
> all attributes would have to follow the AD format- so very probably this is
> not practical).
>
> In the next release of ZAM - integrated into ZCM (due this fall, I think)
> I expect (read: sure hope) Novell will add this, as ZCM will be contacting
> eDirectory (and AD) via LDAP for all user-based information.
>
> If you're from a ZENworks background and you haven't heard of ZCM, look at
> Novell Connection magazine and/or the Novell website, as it takes a little
> while to get your head around the new ZCM architecture.
>
> In the meantime, do you use ZfD / ZDM? If so, you can parse eDir
> attributes into a ZfD application to write these to the workstation
> registry, and then configure ZAM to pick up these registry entries - either
> as UDFs or in the default ZAM fields (Site, Department, email address etc.).
>
> This is covered in the ZAM ATT course - there may also be a TID or
> CoolSolution on this, so worth you searching the Novell website (if you
> haven't already).
>
> Hope this helps.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: LDAP - AD/ED Imports

I wound up writing a VB Application to perform an LDAP query against my
company's Meta Directory tree using the user's login credentials. The
resultant fields are then added to the workstation as Environment
Variables (Could also be changed to write to the Registry). Then I
created custom fields that are read on collection by ZAM. The downside
is that it requires the Novell client to be installed. I previously
asked Novell about a real NDS import but haven't received any updated
info other that they are working on it (I asked a back line engineer,
Brainshare 2006).

I will have to see if I can publish the tool as a cool solution, but
have to get clearance first which may take a while.

Tom Napier
Senior Systems Analyst
QAWS Group
CBC/Radio-Canada



Dan Packwood wrote:
> I see that it is possible to perform Active Directory imports
> into ZENworks Asset Management using a public AD import task.
>
> Has anyone managed/does anyone know if it is possible to perform
> an eDirectory LDAP lookup? I can connect on port 389 to an ED LDAP
> server - public or authenticated however ZAM appears to be looking
> specifically for AD tables as the 'mappings' are blank.
>
> Any ideas on how to shoehorn this in? Or whether there are plans
> to support it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan
>

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: LDAP - AD/ED Imports

Thanks Tom - that could work as all of our workstations have the Novell
client installed. A tool would be wicked - if you can get it out before
ZCM!

Thanks for your time - I'll have a play around!

Dan
Infrastructure Analyst
Halliwells LLP (UK)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:52:44 +0000, Tom Napier wrote:

> I wound up writing a VB Application to perform an LDAP query against my
> company's Meta Directory tree using the user's login credentials. The
> resultant fields are then added to the workstation as Environment
> Variables (Could also be changed to write to the Registry). Then I
> created custom fields that are read on collection by ZAM. The downside
> is that it requires the Novell client to be installed. I previously
> asked Novell about a real NDS import but haven't received any updated
> info other that they are working on it (I asked a back line engineer,
> Brainshare 2006).
>
> I will have to see if I can publish the tool as a cool solution, but
> have to get clearance first which may take a while.
>
> Tom Napier
> Senior Systems Analyst
> QAWS Group
> CBC/Radio-Canada
>
>
>
> Dan Packwood wrote:
>> I see that it is possible to perform Active Directory imports
>> into ZENworks Asset Management using a public AD import task.
>>
>> Has anyone managed/does anyone know if it is possible to perform
>> an eDirectory LDAP lookup? I can connect on port 389 to an ED LDAP
>> server - public or authenticated however ZAM appears to be looking
>> specifically for AD tables as the 'mappings' are blank.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to shoehorn this in? Or whether there are plans
>> to support it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dan
>>


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.