Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Launch executable command line parameters ignored

We have created a bundle to install and launch GroupWise client (2012). This "online" version uses a Launch Executable action with no command line parameters in the launch phase and works fine to launch the client in online mode after install has completed.

We have another bundle, "caching mode" version, which uses a Launch Executable action to launch GW Client in caching mode by passing command line parameters:

/ipa-127.0.0.1 /ipp-1677 /pc-C:\Novell\Groupwise

This also works, except in a certain situation. The situation is this... we have a remote access solution that provides a way, using a laptop while offsite connected to any wifi, to launch the locally installed GW Client in caching mode but using different command line parameters than those noted above, we'll call this the "offsite" version. For argument sake let's say these are the parameters used for the "offsite" version:

/ipa-gw.company.com /ipp-1677 /pc-C:\Novell\Groupwise

Once back onsite, and connected to our wired network, both the "online" and "caching mode" bundles fail to launch the client correctly. The "online" version presents the Novell GroupWise Startup window which shows that the "Address:" field still contains the setting from the "offsite" version (gw.company.com). The "caching mode" version launches but is unable to connect for the same reason, and the "Updating Mailbox" window shows that it is attempting to connect to the same address used by the "offsite" version (gw.company.com).

Ignoring the "online" version, my real question is this, why is the "caching mode" version bundle ignoring the command line parameters assigned to it at launch? Shouldn't it be passing it's own parameters at launch time, effectively forgetting those parameters passed to the client by the "offsite" version?

I suppose the "online" version could be configured to pass command line parameters telling the client to launch in online mode with the correct address, but I suspect it may have the same problem as the "caching mode" bundle in the situation described.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Launch executable command line parameters ignored

This is probably best asked in the GroupWise Forums.
You may need parameters for the "Online" version to tell GW how to start.
I don't think it has anything to do with what ZCM is doing.

I doubt you need to work it any differently.
The GW Folks know where to find me if they have questions.

Note: I don't think you need 2 bundles.
You could create a single bundle with an "Online Action" and a "Caching Mode" Action.
Create a System Requirement for Each Action with IP Segment as a System Requirement.
then the Bundle will launch the correct action depending on if the device is On or Off Site.

This will do nothing to address your core issue of GW "remembering" some of the cache mode settings at launch when back onsite.
The GW folks would have to answer that.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

CRAIGDWILSON;2439319 wrote:
This is probably best asked in the GroupWise Forums.

done... https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/500330-Launch-executable-command-line-parameters-ignored
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Will follow there, just don't know enough about GW parms.
I've always been able to just run GW from any internet connected device w/o parms.
So I just don't know anything about getting it to switch back between modes.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Basically, what I would do is to test both commands from a command
prompt. Do they work then?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If it turns out to be NOTIFY, it may be possible to tweak how it runs so it only launches when on the corporate network. (Bundle perhaps instead of auto-windows start....)
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Craigdwilson,
> If it turns out to be NOTIFY, it may be possible to tweak how it runs so
> it only launches when on the corporate network. (Bundle perhaps instead
> of auto-windows start....)

Ah, yes. If Notify is launched prior, then the GW client will pick
settings from that, no matter what you feed it.

Never run notify from autostart, always use a bundle.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.