Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Managed machines disappear from inventory

We are currently running ZCM10.3.3 on Win 2003 server. Works fine with the exception of a few bugs, one of which is, for no apparent reason machines disappear from the ZCM folders. It would appear (although I am not quite sure) that when we upgraded to 10.3.3 there were some agents still on version 10.3.1 and possibly lower. Even though we pushed the update to all managed devices thru system updates they never updated. As a result they were dropped from the ZCM folders.

The problem is with having over 40 remote sites this becomes a problem when trying to do any kind of HW or SW inventory for licence compliance or planning for pc replacement. When we discover a machine which has not updated we have to mail a batch file to the user to run to unreg and then reg the machine. It then appears back in the ZCM folders and will attempt to apply the update to 10.3.3 (generally successful). Why does this happen, is it avoidable, and is there a better way to ensure that machines are not dropped ? it is happening randomly and to a lot of pc's (although we don't know until we discover the users machine is no longer "managed").

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Managed machines disappear from inventory

ahennessy,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm posting a reply to this thread to bring it back to the fore - should I re-post the original?

Since my original post we have updated ZCM from 10.3.3 to 10.3.4 - we could not move to ZCM 11 because of database support issues- but plan to move to 11.2 when released shortly.

We are still having this issue and would love to know if any solutions exist as machines which existed at my original post have disappeared. Surely the records exist on the Database somewhere or is ZCM server randomly deleting them?

Am I really the only one with this issue?

ANY help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just in case anyone is interested I've found where this was set

Configuration>Device Refresh and Removal Schedule

This was obviously set on original installation.

The removal schedule was set to remove machines that have not reported in XX Days. I've modified this to leave removal a manual process as we scrap machines.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for following through with an answer! I appreciate that!

ahennessy;2198455 wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested I've found where this was set

Configuration>Device Refresh and Removal Schedule

This was obviously set on original installation.

The removal schedule was set to remove machines that have not reported in XX Days. I've modified this to leave removal a manual process as we scrap machines.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.