Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Managing access to bundles with device groups

We have ZCM 11.3.1 just configuration and patch management modules (not asset mgt etc)
We add devices to workstation groups to give them access to non-core apps.
When we upgrade to a new version of an application eg ArcGIS10-2-2 we create a new workstation group and initially
add test workstations, then additional pilot users until it eventually becomes the new production group for ArcGIS.
We have a project to upgrade all users on old versions of ArcGIS to the new 10.2.2 version and need to move them
from their current ARCGIS-10-0-SP5 device group to ARCGIS-10-2-2.
I can change the relationship and link the old ArcGIS group to the new version as a workaround , which does the job
but it ends up getting very messy.
Is there a way to copy or move devices from one workstation group to another workstation group.
It seems a very basic thing to need to do but I can't see it in ZCC or as a ZMAN command.
Greg K
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Managing access to bundles with device groups

keegang;2333328 wrote:
We have ZCM 11.3.1 just configuration and patch management modules (not asset mgt etc)
We add devices to workstation groups to give them access to non-core apps.
When we upgrade to a new version of an application eg ArcGIS10-2-2 we create a new workstation group and initially
add test workstations, then additional pilot users until it eventually becomes the new production group for ArcGIS.
We have a project to upgrade all users on old versions of ArcGIS to the new 10.2.2 version and need to move them
from their current ARCGIS-10-0-SP5 device group to ARCGIS-10-2-2.
I can change the relationship and link the old ArcGIS group to the new version as a workaround , which does the job
but it ends up getting very messy.
Is there a way to copy or move devices from one workstation group to another workstation group.
It seems a very basic thing to need to do but I can't see it in ZCC or as a ZMAN command.
Greg K

I'm not sure about workstation groups, I know it can be done with user groups (ZCM groups), so I'm guessing it can be done with workstation groups
It's in the documentation under the zman commands in the workstation commands section

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks113/zen11_utils/data/b74pt40.html#b8al0yk

I'm guessing it would have to be these commands
workstation-group-members (wgm)
and/or
workstation-group-remove (wgr)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Keegang,

> It seems a very basic thing to need to do but I can't see it in ZCC or
> as a ZMAN command.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks113/zen11_utils/data/b74pt40.html#b8akz3u

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks113/zen11_utils/data/b74pt40.html#b8al0yj
any help?

--

Shaun Pond
newly reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey, Thanks for the replies.
I guess I failed to mention.....I have looked at zman wgm and wgr etc commands
Some of these groups have hundred of device members and I'm trying to find a simple way for our service desk
to be able to do this work.
Using the existing ZMAN commands they would need to list the group members (wgm)
Then add the hundreds of workstations with wga commands
Then remove the workstations with wgr (or do this step in ZCC)
This is not something they would be able to do easily, hence my question is there an easier way.

Being able to tick and copy/move devices to another workstation group inside ZCC would be the best
(enhancement request submitted)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Should not be that hard to script it.
I know quite a few folks who script that type of stuff.

I suspect most folks would just assign the new app to the existing group.

On 9/16/2014 5:36 PM, keegang wrote:
>
> Hey, Thanks for the replies.
> I guess I failed to mention.....I have looked at zman wgm and wgr etc
> commands
> Some of these groups have hundred of device members and I'm trying to
> find a simple way for our service desk
> to be able to do this work.
> Using the existing ZMAN commands they would need to list the group
> members (wgm)
> Then add the hundreds of workstations with wga commands
> Then remove the workstations with wgr (or do this step in ZCC)
> This is not something they would be able to do easily, hence my question
> is there an easier way.
>
> Being able to tick and copy/move devices to another workstation group
> inside ZCC would be the best
> (enhancement request submitted)
>
>

--
Going to Brainshare 2014?
http://www.brainshare.com
Use Registration Code "nvlcwilson" for $300 off!

Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Technical Support Engineer

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.