Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Migrate Sybase-DB to Postgres running on a Appliance

I want to migrate the Sybase-DB, which is running at a separate SLES, to Postgres. This new Postgres-DB should run on a ZEN-Appliance, but without any other parts of ZEN.

How can I archive that (only) the PostgreSQL packets get installed?

After a standard rollout of the appliance I end at the webadmin(9443) where i cloud choose join the existing zone or build a new one.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Migrate Sybase-DB to Postgres running on a Appliance

That is not a supported or licensed configuration.   The Appliance is only valid as a Full Primary.  Not as a dedicated DB Server or a Satellite Server.  The SLES Server on which the appliance runs is only valid for very specific configurations.  

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

This is odd ...
They should have a look to FiLR. They are able to offer a separate VA for the DB.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Whats about PostgreSQL-Appliance-1.1.1-OS / PostgreSQL-Appliance-1.1.1-Product and PostgreSQL-Appliance-1.2-OS/PostgreSQL-Appliance-1.2-Product?

This seems VA with PG-SQL without a special binding to FiLR. (At last at the name level)  Are there usable for ZCM?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Licensing for that VA is still required because SUSE is not going to give away SLES licenses for free.  ZCM does not provide any licensing for that VA, other products may.

ZCM definitely does not test against that VA.  I doubt whoever maintains that VA is going to make sure that any and all OS and/or PostGres patches that may be required for ZCM would be maintained if they were not required for FILR or whatever other product licenses it.

Further, while this deals more with SLES than PostGres Licensing, it's quite possible and likely there are restrictions built into the appliance to prevent General Use which is not prohibited.  The Sybase that shipped with ZCM was that way so that any attempt to use a Non-ZCM Database on the Sybase Server was probably not going to work .

On the ZCM 2020 Appliances, it now supports "SAMBA".  This was provided specifically to allow for managed devices to pull content from the Content-Repo via SAMBA/Shares.  This is why, even when customers try and tweak the SAMBA to be R/W, it remains R/O.   To prevent the Appliance from becoming more of a general use server outside of scope.

ZCM does not do any testing on "External Databases" on any VA, only "Internal Databases".   It is supported to virtualize an OS for use an external database, but ZCM does not provide any license for that.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.