Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrating from ZfDS 6.5 to 10.

99% of our 6.5 Zenapps are as such, and I need to know how I can recreate this;

The Zenapps are workstation associated. We test with groups of PC's but 99% end up associated to the workstation container, getting all existing and new PC's.

They run as a secure system user, hidden, with no prompting nor distribution screens.

They copy files, set registry settings, and usually launch scripts which uninstall previous versions typically by issuing an MSI command or launching an EXE uninstall if required (like with Java.) At the end they install the latest version.

I have a file which is created at system bootup by a computer startup script which is removed by a user login script. In Zen 6.5 I have a system requirement for this file existing. This way I run these Zenapps at system boot before user login.

The applications are force run, run application once, with logging enabled and system requirements.

We use Zen to roll out updates to things like Quicktime, Alternatiff, .NET, VB runtimes, Citrix clients, and anything WSUS doesn't update.

I'm attempting to build my first Zen 10 bundle and am completely lost as to how to reproduce this setup. Unlike ZfDS 6.5 which had excellent help, I'm finding the help in 10 to be somewhat lacking.

I am running 10.1.1 (SP1) with SystemUpdate_434844 and I deleted and recreated the PreAgentPkg_AgentComplete.exe package (rebuilding it without deleting has a bug where it doesn't rebuild the proper package.)

If I don't have a distribution schedule, is it going to distribute immediately after the policy refresh interval update like ZfDS 6.5 does? How do I do a force run?

Thank you;

Edwin
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrating from ZfDS 6.5 to 10.

First off, use the migration tool to migrate one or a couple application objects and check out in ZCM what it looks like.
You will have to test.

Usually the Help/Current page will give you a good explanation of things.

Cheers

Cheers!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ipst13;1669898 wrote:
First off, use the migration tool to migrate one
or a couple application objects and check out in ZCM what it looks like.
You will have to test.

Usually the Help/Current page will give you a good explanation of things.

Cheers

Yea, it doesn't migrate the associations. It can't map from my old
eDirectory to my users in my new AD. So I can't really look to see
what it did. Tried that before I posted.

Help;

>>Launch Schedule: Defines the dates and times when the ZENworks
Adaptive Agent automatically launches the bundle. If you do not
establish a schedule, the bundle is launched only when the user does so.

So force run means I have to have a launch schedule. I look at this and
I have various options. None appear to replicate force run.

Since I have these things checking to see if they are needed (eg most
check for a version #) then I would GUESS that I want a recurring
schedule, when device is refreshed. Right? I am checking for a file
existing, justbooted.flg, which I create on computer startup scripting
and delete on user login scripting - checking for that too as a system
requirements.

Alternatively I could modify my apps to run on system boot, but that has
not been to stable in my testing. I have Adobe reader 9 associated to
launch on computer boot on my test PC, and after 2 days it still shows
associated on the client but never ran. This after many reboots. When I
login, the only system requirement failure is my check to see if a user is
signed on -- which of course it will fail when I am logged in..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think you're looking at doing a Distribution schedule and then choosing the type of scheduling you need. You will easily find the best way to replicate what you want to obtain with this.

So when associating a bundle to a workstation choose Distribution Schedule then in the next page choose the schedule type (event, noschedule) and tick on the "install immediately after distribution" and "launch immediatly after installation".

With ZCM 10 the possibilities are endless. Basicaly this is what you should do!

Cheers

Cheers!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you. I have tried this. I incremented the version and then rebooted the XP device so a refresh interval occurs.

A preinstall script is doing logevents to create an event log record of the app distributing.

I see this.

The next step is to make a registry change, then to copy a file set, then another file set, then launch the .bat file which installs the application, then a post distribution script doing another logevents.

So I see the first preinstall script gets processed. But nothing else. The registry change isn't there, nor anything after this.

If I move the registry change above the preinstall script, then nothing happens at all. It doesn't do the registry change (1st thing) nor does it do the logevent.

I might mention this was a working Zen 6.5 app migrated as is (not MSI) so it's got the settings configured the way the migration tool would migrate them. I did create from scratch a Zen app that I did eventually get to force run, but I have hundreds off apps I need to manually associate force run & kinda want to get it right the first time.

thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Your app is probably failing at the registry because of a lack of permissions.

If you write values to the registry either your users are local admins or you need to elevate the rights of the action at that point for it to be "successfull".

Difference here is the elevated privileges have changed since 6.5.

6.5: user is temporarily put member of the local admin group.

10: a temporary user equivalent to admin is created, the task is accomplished, then the user is deleted.

And I understand your frustration regarding the new way of bulding bundles, its quite a change from 6.5.

Cheers

Cheers!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.