Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
gshaw0 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Moving to ZCM 2017 and Windows Server

Hi all,

We'd like to move from ZCM 11 SP3 to ZCM 2017 but also at the same time move to running the product onto Windows Server as the base OS.

Although we were advised to use the ZCM Appliance going forward we can't due to limitations on our ESXi hosts so given that Windows guest licenses aren't a problem for us (Datacenter licensing) it seems to make more sense to move everything to Windows going forward.

Question is which of the two options below are preferable?

1. introduce Windows servers to SP3 Zone, retire Linux servers then upgrade
  2. upgrade Linux servers to SP4 then 2017 and when done then introduce Windows servers to upgraded Zone

Perhaps there's no real difference either way but any input would be appreciated.

ZCM 2017 U2 on VMware| SQL 2016 database | 4 primary servers over 3 sites | 3000+ Windows 10 images to deploy via MDT :cool: Check out my blog http://gshaw0.wordpress.com - ZCM imaging and other tech stuff
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Moving to ZCM 2017 and Windows Server

I would recommend an SR...........
They can help work thru the process.....

Part of the Equation may be the exact version of your current Linux Servers and what they support.......
Your process will involve upgrading to 11.4 and then 2017.
I suspect your Linux Servers are not supported all the way thru 2017....but I don't know.
I can see that ZCM 11.3.1 and later will support 2012 R2 SP1, which is also supported in ZCM 2017.

If you can get your primaries over to Windows 2012 R2 SP1, then you will not need to do OS upgrades as part of the ZCM Upgrades.
This will involve migrating the CA role over to a Windows server.....which is not technically supported but doable with a little manual work.
I would recommend an SR to make sure this goes correct..........

gshaw0;2463117 wrote:
Hi all,

We'd like to move from ZCM 11 SP3 to ZCM 2017 but also at the same time move to running the product onto Windows Server as the base OS.

Although we were advised to use the ZCM Appliance going forward we can't due to limitations on our ESXi hosts so given that Windows guest licenses aren't a problem for us (Datacenter licensing) it seems to make more sense to move everything to Windows going forward.

Question is which of the two options below are preferable?

1. introduce Windows servers to SP3 Zone, retire Linux servers then upgrade
  2. upgrade Linux servers to SP4 then 2017 and when done then introduce Windows servers to upgraded Zone

Perhaps there's no real difference either way but any input would be appreciated.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
gshaw0 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply, tbh we want to drop as much of the SLES-based appliances as CentOS is our preferred distro for Linux, otherwise we run on Windows.

I've built new 2012 R2 VMs in preparation so that side won't be an issue. I'm thinking that putting those into the Zone with 11.3.1 may be a good idea as they'll be clean installs whereas the existing servers have been upgraded multiple times.

I've just been re-reading up on the process of moving the MasterPrimary role as I remember having to do that in the past when we retired old servers. The CA sounds a bit more involved so the SR sounds like a good idea.

ZCM 2017 U2 on VMware| SQL 2016 database | 4 primary servers over 3 sites | 3000+ Windows 10 images to deploy via MDT :cool: Check out my blog http://gshaw0.wordpress.com - ZCM imaging and other tech stuff
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

gshaw0;2463168 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, tbh we want to drop as much of the SLES-based appliances as CentOS is our preferred distro for Linux, otherwise we run on Windows.

I've built new 2012 R2 VMs in preparation so that side won't be an issue. I'm thinking that putting those into the Zone with 11.3.1 may be a good idea as they'll be clean installs whereas the existing servers have been upgraded multiple times.

I've just been re-reading up on the process of moving the MasterPrimary role as I remember having to do that in the past when we retired old servers. The CA sounds a bit more involved so the SR sounds like a good idea.

The Hiccup with the CA process is that the backup/restore process includes a config file with hardcoded paths....that will be incorrect going from Linux to Windows.
Make sure to backup everything 1st. (Security Folder on the original CA) and the zCertificate Table.
Make sure to test creating an Auth Satellite after you are done to verify the process works.....

Any Future Certs will always say "Issued by Original CA Server Name".....This is perfectly normal and do not try to fix.
The anomaly is caused because the "CA" has its own name that cant change that is independent of the OS Server Name on which it runs.
However, ZCM sets the CA name to make the OS name upon install....which causes confusion when it is moved...since folks see the name and think it is the name of the OS server and not the name of the CA which is OS Server independent....
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
gshaw0 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just had some replies from support (very speedy 🙂 ) and they've recommended going to SP4 first, which has a Move CA option in the ZCC GUI

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

gshaw0;2463179 wrote:
Just had some replies from support (very speedy 🙂 ) and they've recommended going to SP4 first, which has a Move CA option in the ZCC GUI

I can confirm that runs with an easy click-with-the-button (regardless of target/source OS).

But I guess you are now aiming to upgrade to ZCM 11 SP4 (leaving the SLES OS as is), then add the new Windows primaries/move the DB and then drop the Linux primaries at that point... then upgrade to 2017?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
gshaw0 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2463392 wrote:
I can confirm that runs with an easy click-with-the-button (regardless of target/source OS).

But I guess you are now aiming to upgrade to ZCM 11 SP4 (leaving the SLES OS as is), then add the new Windows primaries/move the DB and then drop the Linux primaries at that point... then upgrade to 2017?

Cheers,
Willem

Yup that's the new plan 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

gshaw0;2463395 wrote:
Yup that's the new plan 🙂

Good one if you ask me 🙂

Do make sure to let enough time pass after having added the new Windows primaries (two to three weeks at least I'd say.. and a month or so if you have the option to wait before upgrading to 2017), before removing the Linux primaries from the zone. That way the devices know about the new servers in town and not get isolated because the Linux primaries are no more (assuming the managed devices have all/mostly checked in after having added the Windows primaries). That's following good advice Craig gave me once or twice... 🙂

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
gshaw0 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2463402 wrote:
Good one if you ask me 🙂

Do make sure to let enough time pass after having added the new Windows primaries (two to three weeks at least I'd say.. and a month or so if you have the option to wait before upgrading to 2017), before removing the Linux primaries from the zone. That way the devices know about the new servers in town and not get isolated because the Linux primaries are no more (assuming the managed devices have all/mostly checked in after having added the Windows primaries). That's following good advice Craig gave me once or twice... 🙂

Cheers,
Willem

That's a very good point and not something I'd considered, think I'll do the 11.4 upgrade before term starts then look at the 2017 part during a half term to allow for the changeover in servers.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.