Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Which is why you could have a master bundle even with 25 bundles with an
order set and end up having all 25 run at once

or

you could have no ordering, but still have the 25 wait on each other.

All depending n how you configure the bundle.



On 7/31/2012 10:39 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Craig,
>
> well duh 🙂
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

craig wilson wrote:

> Which is why you could have a master bundle even with 25 bundles with
> an order set and end up having all 25 run at once
>
> or
>
> you could have no ordering, but still have the 25 wait on each other.
>
> All depending n how you configure the bundle.
>
>
>
> On 7/31/2012 10:39 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> > Craig,
> >
> > well duh 🙂
> >


But did this not happend by default in ZDM?

--


-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

No, they work the same in that regard.

In ZDM, I could get the same results.

Both rela

On 8/1/2012 9:23 AM, Niels Poulsen wrote:
> craig wilson wrote:
>
>> Which is why you could have a master bundle even with 25 bundles with
>> an order set and end up having all 25 run at once
>>
>> or
>>
>> you could have no ordering, but still have the 25 wait on each other.
>>
>> All depending n how you configure the bundle.
>>
>>
>>
>> On 7/31/2012 10:39 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
>>> Craig,
>>>
>>> well duh 🙂
>>>

>
> But did this not happend by default in ZDM?
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

craig_wilson;2210386 wrote:
No, they work the same in that regard.

In ZDM, I could get the same results.

Both rela

On 8/1/2012 9:23 AM, Niels Poulsen wrote:
> craig wilson wrote:
>
>> Which is why you could have a master bundle even with 25 bundles with
>> an order set and end up having all 25 run at once
>>
>> or
>>
>> you could have no ordering, but still have the 25 wait on each other.
>>
>> All depending n how you configure the bundle.
>>
>>
>>
>> On 7/31/2012 10:39 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
>>> Craig,
>>>
>>> well duh 🙂
>>>

>
> But did this not happend by default in ZDM?
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.


Yes and no

In ZFD if you did not:
check the box "wait on force run"
and left the apps as the default "force run" order of 0
AND checked the associations as "force run"

Then they would all basically "run at the same time".

IF, however, you checked the box "wait on force run" and STILL left them at "force run order of 0", and had them associated as "force run", then they would run one at a time, based upon the alphabetical name of the app.

Novell changed/added that same functionality in 11.2.1 with those new options.

You could, alternatively, accomplish the same thing (even in 11.2.1) by creating a "master" bundle with launch actions of like:
zac bln "bundle name"
and have those wait until the action is complete.

Pros and cons to each, to be honest. The Master bundle is nice because you have a visual order of your bundles via the Install Actions (vs. the new feature, where you have to manually maintain some sort of spreadsheet about what the order was that you gave the bundle). But, that's at the expense of a rather busy/cumbersome set of install actions every time you want to do something (not to mention re-ordering anything in there).

All the above assumes of course, that you have ALL your bundles (that are "force runs") in either a master bundle or you've set them up accordingly with the new feature set.

Forget to do that in EITHER case, and you'll have more than one bundle running at the same time (which, depending on what you are doing may or may not cause problems).
0 Likes
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Hi Shaun,

I worked and still work with bundle groups in order to have the bundles installed in the right order and one after the other. This worked very well with version 10 and earlier versions of 11. Now with version 11.2.1 the bundles do not respect any installation order nor do they wait for any previous bundle to complete.

I have opened an SR because I guess that this change of behavior is not normal

--

Calimero
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Calimero,

no it's not normal, if you are taking advantage of the new feature...

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Highlighted
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Shaun,

The point is that I haven't made any change except upgrading the servers and test the new agent on a fresh install respectively on a re-imaged pc. And what was working before is not working any more or at least it is not working as it worked before. So right now I am not using the new feature.:)

--

Calimero
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Calimero,

bundle groups never controlled installation order - it's the whole
reason that the new feature was added. You've been lucky up to now...

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Shaun,

Ok then I must have been very lucky! I did my whole deployment like this and it worked ! I guess I used un undocumented hidden feature. 🙂 But at least I am not the only one. I was discussing the issue with my contact at Novell Luxembourg and he told me that he was also using the bundle groups in the same way as I did. That's why he told me to keep him informed about it. I will change my configuration and use the new feature then. I have an SR opened on this should I tell them to close it?

Thanks

--

Calimero
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Calimero,

you could wait until they come back and confirm what I said 🙂 TID
7006162 was created back in 2010 for this, I'm going to update it with
a reference to the new bundle ordering feature...

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Hi Shaun,

I have one little problem with the new feature. If I change my bundles to use the feature, I have to publish the bundle in a new version and this will have a huge impact on all my workstations that already have these bundles. This brings me back to an enhancement request I made more than I year ago, to be able to publish the bundle as the current version, then the changes would only have an impact on newly deployed workstations.....:)

--

Calimero
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Calimero,

and I remember seeing that request, and it's in the bucket for PM
consideration 🙂

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Calimero;2213394 wrote:
Hi Shaun,

I have one little problem with the new feature. If I change my bundles to use the feature, I have to publish the bundle in a new version and this will have a huge impact on all my workstations that already have these bundles. This brings me back to an enhancement request I made more than I year ago, to be able to publish the bundle as the current version, then the changes would only have an impact on newly deployed workstations.....:)

--

Calimero


We usually put system requirements in our bundles to avoid having them pushed out in cases like this.

For example:

Code necessary registry keys/file requirements so that if say, Office is already installed, it doesn't try to install it again. Thus, even if you DO publish a new version it'll see that the system requirements aren't meant and won't deploy again.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Calimero;2212424 wrote:
Shaun,

Ok then I must have been very lucky! I did my whole deployment like this and it worked ! I guess I used un undocumented hidden feature. 🙂 But at least I am not the only one. I was discussing the issue with my contact at Novell Luxembourg and he told me that he was also using the bundle groups in the same way as I did. That's why he told me to keep him informed about it. I will change my configuration and use the new feature then. I have an SR opened on this should I tell them to close it?

Thanks

--

Calimero


I wonder if the tech is confusing Bundle Grouping with Bundle Dependencies

Bundle Dependencies COULD (in certain cases) do what you described.

The downside is that you could only make assignments to the one/single/parent bundle. Which only worked if ALL your users/devices need that bundle, and every single bundle below it.

For customers like myself, not all our bundles are assigned to everyone. But we still needed the ability to control the ORDER in which they were deployed.

Prior to 11.2.1, Craig had come up with a pretty nifty neat method to do this, which we used for a bit, but now that we have 11.2.1 we can have our cake and eat it too (mmm, cake)
0 Likes
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Multiple Bundles Deploying

Hi,

I have no dependencies on these bundles. All our bundles are assigned to devices and I have grouped the default bundles in a bundle group which is assigned to all our workstations. I have done my initial deployment of 1100 workstations and on every workstation the bundles installed in the order they were listed in the bundle group. This was made with version 10.3.x of the Agent. After that all new workstation, in the mean time with Agent 11.1, had the same behavior when deployed. With Agent 11.2.1 it doesn't work anymore. And I was not the only one who was successfully deploying bundles like this. And honestly when I started my deployment I was happy to have something that worked like I wanted it to do and I did not care to check if this was supposed to work like this or was documented to do so.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.