Highlighted
Visitor.

Multiple windows group policies with ZCM

Hello, I am sorry if this question has been asked before. With AD the best practice is to have many group policies or separate them into groups. For example you have one with power settings, one with printers, etc... Is this the correct way to use group policy with ZCM as well? I have always just had one user policy and one computer policy for each user group. I am just wondering if it is ok to break them up for easier editing? I don't know if applying more than one user policy to a group with ZCM causes issues. Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Multiple windows group policies with ZCM

ZCM will use only a Single User and a Single Device GPO, selecting the
one it determines to be the closest assigned.

On 4/18/2013 11:36 AM, dflansy wrote:
>
> Hello, I am sorry if this question has been asked before. With AD the
> best practice is to have many group policies or separate them into
> groups. For example you have one with power settings, one with printers,
> etc... Is this the correct way to use group policy with ZCM as well? I
> have always just had one user policy and one computer policy for each
> user group. I am just wondering if it is ok to break them up for easier
> editing? I don't know if applying more than one user policy to a group
> with ZCM causes issues. Thanks
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So what your saying is that we should bundle all our separate policies into one big policy?
Or am I misunderstanding?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's what we did and were supposed to do by Novell Support when we experienced our separated group policies not applying correctly/always.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Popopinsel;2262577 wrote:
That's what we did and were supposed to do by Novell Support when we experienced our separated group policies not applying correctly/always.

This is another reason for me to just ditch Zenworks Policy and just using plain AD group policy.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Was just about to post the exact same thing! Was getting rather confused about why ZCM kept resetting my Google Chrome policy and \ or Security Settings when one or the other was applied.

So basically I need to have a bunch of large policies then choose the overall winner rather than building them up in a modular fashion, seems a very odd way to apply policies in comparison to the accepted Windows GPO way of doing things?

ZCM 2017 U2 on VMware| SQL 2016 database | 4 primary servers over 3 sites | 3000+ Windows 10 images to deploy via MDT :cool: Check out my blog http://gshaw0.wordpress.com - ZCM imaging and other tech stuff
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.