Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Network speed during Imaging

I am just beginning to use imaging and have a dumb question.

When I restore an image to a workstation from the server, it just kills my network. Other users are unable to do even small things like check their email because of the lack of available bandwidth on the LAN.

Is this normal for a 100mb layer 2 switched network?

Thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Network speed during Imaging

Does the switch have igmp enabled. If not that cold be your problem.

Tony.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

arizzotto;1746753 wrote:
Does the switch have igmp enabled. If not that cold be your problem.

Tony.

Most of my switches do not support igmp. Is that a "requirement" for imaging?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

no it's not.

maybe plug a sniffer in or monitor your switches while doing some image dumps.

we normally dump 4 images at a time with no impact.

you got any routers in the path ? maybe with diffrent packet sizes configured ? (old school issue, but who knows).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You could have a duplex mismatch - I have seen issues where a new server with a 1GB/s network card won't connect to a 10/100 switch on auto/auto. You get link and traffic flows through, but you see problems during high traffic operations like imaging and backups. You could try setting the NIC and switch port to 100/full.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.