Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New Zen 11 Install - Advice Needed

Hi,

We're looking at migrating from Zen 7 to ZCM11 and was hoping for some advice about the best way to set it up.

We have about 1200 machines and from what I read it looks as though the internal Sybase database isn't quite up to the task for larger numbers of machines.

Out of the options below what would be best (or none of them)? What's the best OS for Zen 11 Sles11/Windows 2008?

Option 1) Windows 2008 on a new server and run Zen11 and MS SQL 2008 from the same server, with potentially a satellite server or 2...

Option 2) Setup SLES11 Zen 11 virtual machine on vmware as well as Windows 2008 and MS SQL 2008 virtual machine, and keep the imaging component on physical hardware.

Option 3) Sles 11 and Zen 11 on new physical server with windows 2008 and MS SQL 2008 on vmware.

Thanks!

Peter
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Currently, the default internal Sybase is a bit lacking. However the next update to 11.1 I think has a newer version of Sybase and should cover that number of machines. I get the impression that most installations have local database experts that can setup and manage an external database. For the rest of us we make do with the internal one.
There is the option of having several zones if you have distinct locations. I'm a Linux newbe but so far, our server (SLES 10.3 SP3, internal sybase and virtualised) has been reliable and cheap. I've only had to resort to the manual once for a VM rollback.

If your intending to migrate in one hit and expect it to happen overnight then......
Try not to do the migration thingy. A clean slate would be my option.

You only need to set up masters/satellites as required.

My two bobs worth anyway
Cheers
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you want to use SQL 2008 before ZCM 11 SP1 has been released, the database must be configured in a special way to be compatible with the MSSQL 2005 driver and DB layout which is only what ZCM 11 supports on the MSSQL side.

Regarding another note, it MIGHT it will be possible to migrate from Sybase to MSSQL/Oracle once SP1 hits, if you want to play with the internal Sybase first.

As GERWIL said regarding a clean slate, I highly recommend that. If you have bundles in ZDM7 that are snapshots, they cant be moved to ZCM because ZCM does not support snapshots. Starting with a clean slate is a good opportunity to update software too 😉 We've done clean slate in two environments with 5000 computers each(one in pilot(W7), one in migration phase(XP), we dont regret throwing out all the old!)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you want to use SQL 2008 before ZCM 11 SP1 has been released, the database must be configured in a special way to be compatible with the MSSQL 2005 driver and DB layout which is only what ZCM 11 supports on the MSSQL side
We are running ZCM 11 on SQL 2008R2, at compatible level 2008(100), no problem here. Could there then maby be some kind of issue regarding that? I havn't noticed any errors, but it's not always everything you se 😉

Thanks

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In addition to that; we are going from ZEN 7 to ZCM 11. Well we are allready running ZCM 11, but only the inventory part, later on the Patch Management part. We also chose to start from scratch, so we have a lot of work ahead of us regarding the new bundles etc. Looking forward to it 😉

If you would like I can make a view of what our setup is going to be, with 2500-2700 clients?

/Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for advice about SQL 2008. We've just upgraded our vmware cluster so I'm probably going to setup a virtual sql 2008 server and a zcm 11 appliance. I also now have a spare physical server to instlal zcm 11 onto for imaging.

ZCM 11 SP1 sounds promising but we're aiming to setup ZCM11 this summer. The question I'm wondering now is if we do use a sybase database would the service pack update it to the new better performing version?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peter_horner;2099852 wrote:
Thanks for advice about SQL 2008. We've just upgraded our vmware cluster so I'm probably going to setup a virtual sql 2008 server and a zcm 11 appliance. I also now have a spare physical server to instlal zcm 11 onto for imaging.

ZCM 11 SP1 sounds promising but we're aiming to setup ZCM11 this summer. The question I'm wondering now is if we do use a sybase database would the service pack update it to the new better performing version?

It would be an updated version of Sybase, yes. There *should* also be a tool to convert from Internal/External Sybase to MSSQL2008R2/Oracle, when you outgrow Sybase.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.