Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Newer agent without server upgrade or ??

I am being pushed to find a way to deploy some Win10 workstations far too soon. We are currently on 11.2.4. I gather that support for Win10 is not until 11.4.1, but I am not ready to upgrade the servers quite yet.

Is there any way that I can run the newer agent with the current servers, on the Win10 systems? I thought I read something about creating a separate zone, but am not sure I understand what it would mean to do that. e.g. Do I need to create a separate zone for an 11.4.1 server and for the Win10 systems with the 11.4.1 agent? If I do that, does it share the database with the 11.2.4 servers?

Is there any kind of easy resolution to have a primarily Win7/11.2.4 environment for now, but still have the Zenworks agent on some Win10 systems? We would be primarily using Zenworks to do initial software installs, but we want the agent running, hopefully to at least push critical updates, inventory, and perhaps remote mgmt.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Newer agent without server upgrade or ??

De,

simple rule with ZENworks: servers must always, *always* be at the same
level as the agents or higher - agents will not work if they are a
higher level than the primaries. So no, you cannot upgrade the agents
until the servers have been upgraded. 11.4 is the absolute minimum
level to get any kind of Win 10 support, and since 11.4.1 has been
released, that's where I'd recommend you go to.

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Shaun. You've always been right in your advice to me, but ....

is there a way to define a separate zone somehow & set up a server with 11.4.1 for systems with that agent, or some other way to do this without breaking the working Win7/11.2.4 stuff? I thought I'd read about this possibility, but might have gotten it wrong. And I hate to think that I will have to go to 11.4.1 site-wide before I can deal with any Win10 systems.

OR, is there anything I can do to make the 11.2.4 agent at least sorta work for my Win10 installs, until I can push the upgrade? The idea is to install but not run the NAL on the desktop, and after those installs just have the agent do the system (not user) authentication.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The only solution would be to install a completely separate zone for the Windows 10.x Devices.
Once the main zone is upgraded, it would be possible to use a bundle to put the 10.x Devices back on the main zone.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

De,

like Craig says - you'd need it to be a completely separate, new zone,
and you'd need to re-create bundles, policies etc., on that zone

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

ZCM 11.3.x and Later Zones allow you to Synch some items such as bundles/policies, but 11.2.4 does not support that feature.
Also I'm not sure if ZCM supports synching between Zones that are Different Versions. (It May, but just not sure....)
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. I might be able to live with that, since I'm ending up building new bundles anyway.

-- DE
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.