Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No more directive bundles, but need a replacement action

From what I have been reading directive bundles will no longer be around going forward in ZCM. I am about to the upgrade from 10.3.0 to ZCM 11 CAP 2, but the directive bundles provided me with one feature that I like and that was being able to increment the version number of the bundle when I mades changes to the bundle and not having it deploy to devices that had previous installed the bundle. It looks like my only option going forward is to use the windows bundle, but being force not to increment the bundle when I make changes to the bundle in order to prevent it from deploying out to devices that has previously installed the bundle. Is my thinking correct?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: No more directive bundles, but need a replacement action

Hi cjwardedu,

If I am not wrong the scenario that you describe is true in ZCM 10 for bundles when you don't increment the version! I am not sure if the behavior for the directive bundle was different but I know for sure that at least for me the windows bundles worked that way. As for ZCM 11 this has to do with the ability to create a sandbox version which can be tested by devices that have been flagged as test devices before, if your tests succeeded, publishing the bundle as new version. But I agree with you, I liked to have the ability to make changes to a bundle, which was then only applied with the changes to the newly assigned devices if I didn't increment the version.

I made an enhancement request to be able to publish a sandbox as the currently published version to have the same behavior as in ZCM 10.
For now I didn't get any feedback on my request.

--

Marc
0 Likes
rlewis313 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I feel like I am in the same situation that is being explained here. I would love the new feature that Calimero suggested. If someone can suggest a different way to operate I am willing to do that, but I operated the same way cjwardedu did in 10 and am having a hard time in 11 now as a result.

I will have to experiment with requirements in 11. In 10 I always seemed to have a few machines that would randomly fail or pass a requirement incorrectly. I actually messed with this today (11 cumulative agent 1. I tried cumulative agent 2 but it seemed to introduce another new set of problems.) on a bundle that calls installs for other bundles. It worked on all my test machines and on all but one machine in production. That machine reinstalled everything. Simple fixes to get it back to running but doesn't give me confidence that it is 100% reliable still. From my perspective that machine had the bundle installed just like all the others.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Calimero Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi cjwardedu,

On second thought you may be referring to the internal version number that each action has in the bundle. So if you applied and changes to an action in a bundle the internal version of this bundle is incremented in order to prevent it from rerunning all the action. This behavior should still be the same in ZCM11. What changed is that they regrouped the directive bundle and other bundles in the windows bundle. Nevertheless you still can perform any task in your windows bundle. If I am not wrong you could also in ZCM10 also perform any task from a directive bundle in a windows bundle but I am not 100% sure on that.

--

Marc
0 Likes
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From all my tests and in my production environment in ZCM 10 I was able to create actions in a directive bundle and then change out the different actions as needed. Never really got a answer from Novell about whether the directive bundle was design to work in this manner, but it gave me the ability to hot swap different actions without having to worry about the application re-installing on devices. For example a computer lab gets a new application, I go ahead install the new application but then I add that new application to that computer lab directive bundle follow by incrementing the bundle. Devices that already had installed that directive bundle are not effect by incrementing the bundle, but any new or re-image devices that install the bundle will get the new changes. It looks the best option would be not to increment the Windows bundle in ZCM 11 and it should give me the same ability that I had before with the directive bundle. The only down side is that I lose track of how many times I have made changes to the directive bundle.

With a windows bundle my understanding is if you increment a bundle that it will re-push out that application to all the devices that had previously installed it.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

cjwardedu;2117677 wrote:
With a windows bundle my understanding is if you increment a bundle that it will re-push out that application to all the devices that had previously installed it.

Unless you have an Requirement set on the bundle, like file exists = c:\path\to\your\file.exe

Thomas
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cjwardedu,

unless you have changed the actions, just incrementing the version will
not cause the bundle to be reinstalled

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The problem Shaun is that I often change the actions of the directive bundle as different departments purchase new software all the time. Putting all the actions into one bundle made it alot easier to keep track of all the software that a certain lab needs to function as requested and made setup dead easy when having to install applications after reimaging a computer. From the looks of it though, after reading the documentation on zcm 11, the best option would be not to increment the bundle at all, disable the uninstall and verfiy options, and more than likely use simple action windows bundle.

The question now beomes when I upgrade to ZCM 11 and all of the directive bundles get converted over to windows bundles, will deleting those newly converted bundles (so that I can recreate them as simple action windows bundles) cause those applications that where install by the actions inside of the directive bundle to uninstall from the computer? If the above is the case, will disabling those bundle before upgrading prevent them from converting to windows bundles?

My thinking is that the application will not uninstall given the application bundle (for example adobe reader) is still in zcm.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cjwardedu,

I'm curious - what actions do you have in the bundle? A series of
"install bundle" actions?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You are correct all the actions are "install bundle" actions in the directive bundle. I average about 12 "install actions" per directive bundle, with the largest being 25 or so "install actions". To update my earlier post creating a simple windows application bundle will not work, but a empty windows bundle configured like I stated earlier looks to be the work around for now. Need to do some testing when I have free time.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cjwardedu,

🙂

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just did the upgrade to ZCM 11 CAP2a in my test environment and it converted over all directive bundles to windows bundles even if the bundle was disable.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cjwardedu,

it would have to convert all of them regardless of status

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.