pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell Client 2.0 SP1 (IR6) - Install Issues

Hey Guys,

It was a toss-up on this one whether to throw it into the OES - Client forum or the ZCM10:Bundles forum, but I figured I'd start here.

We recently began a small-scale test deployment of this client and have noticed a strange problem.

Some clients receive "Error code: 0xE0000242 (-536870334)", which from what I can see is simply Windows complaining about an unsigned driver package.

I recall reading in the post-IR6 update files readme that this can occur if you attempt to overlay the post-IR6 update over the IR6 client install files, but we did NOT do this.

So far it's happened on about 10 of our 60 or so users, although there are still a number of users who have not received the update (set to run on ZENworks Login).

Currently our user base is on IR3, and any deployments we have done have not had any issues (IR3, etc).

We're simply copying the installer locally to the workstation hard drive, and executing it from there (setup.exe /NCPF:unattend.txt). (There is a 60 second delay action directly before the action which copies the files down, which I used as a troubleshooting step.)

Jacob
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2.0 SP1 (IR6) - Install Issues

Okay, so here's an update.

I figured since it was a signing-related issue that I would jump on a machine that the new client successfully installed on, export the Novell cert from the "Trusted Publishers" store, and import it on a machine that displayed the aforementioned error code (this one was a virtual machine, so it could easily be reverted to a state where the problem occurred).

We imported the certificate to the localMachine TrustedPublisher store on that workstation, rebooted, and the Novell client installed successfully (No error code as described in my previous post).

Looking at the workstation before the certificate import, it became clear that the Novell certificate was not in the TrustedPublisher store of either the local machine or the current user hive.

We've never had to import the certificate before running the installer before, it's always either popped up and asked to trust the certificate (at which point you either click "yes" to continue, or check the box to always trust the publisher and it would import the certificate to the appropriate store).

Was there some kind of change in how the signing was done on the IR6 build that changed how Windows interprets the fact that the certificate is not in the TrustedPublisher store? (The error message is informational, of course, and the user simply needs to click "OK" at the end of the install, but this error is much more serious looking than the simple prompt about trusting the publisher...)
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2.0 SP1 (IR6) - Install Issues

(Of course, we're going to work around this by importing the cert with certmgr ahead of time, but this would have been nice to know...)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.