Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Talyn75 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell Client 2 + zenworks and slow logins?

I have read through a lot of the older posts regarding slow login processes and have tried to look at the schools computers to see if things can be improved with some of the solutions. I talked with another schools SysAdmin about it as well and he indicated that they have started to move away from using the Novell client and have the computers auto-logging into Windows and only associating bundles to the device and never to the user.

Although I feel this side steps the issue a bit, it does provide a solution. It also presents some questions that I have been told to resolve by the Supt. He would like the lower grades login's to be as quick as possible to allow the student as much trouble free time as possible with the computer. The teachers in the elementary buildings complain that the login (from boot up to the user actually doing something) is taking between 5 and 10 minutes. I had one try to convince me that she had some of her laptops that were taking 30 minutes to get to a stage that was useful. Although I couldn't find any of her laptops that did that for me I also don't want to dismiss her claim either.

Does anyone have tweaks to Windows 7 and zenworks that helped speed up the login process? Is the best course in this case to move away from user accounts on the local systems for each user and to only associate the bundles with the device and not with the user? I removed the existing GPO policy to see if it helped and since it seemed to be failing more then it was successful. But I can't really see any improvements. I also don't know if a pure novell based system where Active Directory isn't installed provides for a good GPO deployment.

I personally don't like the idea of having shared user accounts. I think it is better for the younger kids to start to learn how security and proper use of a username and password should be done. And that it is important. I push the staff to look at it as a ongoing learning opportunity that should be integrated in the students daily life. But I also understand that for most of them they get the student for 30 minutes so every minute counts to getting other work done.

Any help or advice would be welcomed. I have placed the exceptions in my Anti-Virus per the document so hopefully that helps.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2 + zenworks and slow logins?

Lots of variables here. whats the client. XP,win 7, 64bit 32 bit. 2 gig 4
gig. dual core single core, ide sata? Is the school served by a SAT server
or does the primary live at the building? Database internal, external?
Linux, SQL? version of ZCM? If primary at other building and no SAT what's
the connectivity between buildings. how many workstations being supported by
the realm? how many primaries to support it? Network location rules setup
properly? Bundles assigned to zenworks login? I ask all of this because so
many factors come into play that affect a workstations login process that
you need to consider. I have single core HP 5750 4 gig computers with SATA
drives that thrash like crazy and take a minuet and a half to log in with
Novell client and a new machine HP 6305 right next to it that takes about 50
seconds. Just a faster machine makes all the difference. If your systems are
taking that long then I would think there is a configuration issue on your
end. Even my slowest systems don't take that long on a slow link with no SAT
server at the site. longest is around 90 seconds. I have 7000 Win7 64bit
devices 7 64bit primaries (6 hardware one VM all boot from SAN) win2k8
external MSSql. I was running on 50MB wireless wan to 28 buildings but
upgraded to 1gig fiber last summer. Actually really did not make a
difference to the login times. Are your unique student logins volatile? If
yes the system has to create the user every time they login and that’s going
to take extra time. And that’s got nothing to do with Zen. I have a large
amount of bundles assigned to devices and users and groups (edirectory)
based on its function. Still decent login times. 11.3 is supposed to be even
better. Have you done any database maintenance? I have a contractor who is
good with SQL work mine every few months. when he is done the database is
always smaller and ZCM admin is snappier.

"Talyn75" wrote in message news:Talyn75.6bro3z@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

I have read through a lot of the older posts regarding slow login
processes and have tried to look at the schools computers to see if
things can be improved with some of the solutions. I talked with another
schools SysAdmin about it as well and he indicated that they have
started to move away from using the Novell client and have the computers
auto-logging into Windows and only associating bundles to the device and
never to the user.

Although I feel this side steps the issue a bit, it does provide a
solution. It also presents some questions that I have been told to
resolve by the Supt. He would like the lower grades login's to be as
quick as possible to allow the student as much trouble free time as
possible with the computer. The teachers in the elementary buildings
complain that the login (from boot up to the user actually doing
something) is taking between 5 and 10 minutes. I had one try to convince
me that she had some of her laptops that were taking 30 minutes to get
to a stage that was useful. Although I couldn't find any of her laptops
that did that for me I also don't want to dismiss her claim either.

Does anyone have tweaks to Windows 7 and zenworks that helped speed up
the login process? Is the best course in this case to move away from
user accounts on the local systems for each user and to only associate
the bundles with the device and not with the user? I removed the
existing GPO policy to see if it helped and since it seemed to be
failing more then it was successful. But I can't really see any
improvements. I also don't know if a pure novell based system where
Active Directory isn't installed provides for a good GPO deployment.

I personally don't like the idea of having shared user accounts. I think
it is better for the younger kids to start to learn how security and
proper use of a username and password should be done. And that it is
important. I push the staff to look at it as a ongoing learning
opportunity that should be integrated in the students daily life. But I
also understand that for most of them they get the student for 30
minutes so every minute counts to getting other work done.

Any help or advice would be welcomed. I have placed the exceptions in my
Anti-Virus per the document so hopefully that helps.

--
Talyn75
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talyn75's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=149082
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=475810

0 Likes
drops1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i use the novell Clients AutoAdminQueryNDS Setting and a shared Windows account. As a result we have Login times of about 5-10 seconds for a "warm" machine. this is for a place where students frquently pass between lectures to print lessons. there are dozens of users per single machine.

You Need to know what you do if u use shared local accounts: mandatory Profile, disable search, disable recycle bin, scheduled Tasks even the user Icon in start menu has to be locked since it is not in the Profile.

this Setup is running since 2 years here without Problems. only advert effect: students thinks something went wrong if Login takes 30 seconds ore more which can happen after a fresh boot.
0 Likes
jvmorrell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just my two pence here

I don't personally have any issues with performance on the network, I'm on a AD domain. not so sure about in a e-directory environment.

But I have just raised a call for off network logins, I am determined to get it sorted this time.
0 Likes
Talyn75 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Most of the systems, and all the laptops are running at least 3 Gig of RAM and a dual core or i3 processor. The WAN is 1Gig between buildings. They upgraded the WLAN to N based AP's recently and haven't see a large consumption of bandwidth at any of the locations. The server is an older server Proliant ML 350 G5 with 14 Gig of RAM. I was thinking of moving it to a VM but don't want to slow other items down if it is a resource drain. I have one Host that I think I could place it on with enough drive space. (I wanted to put in a SAN but money is really tight right now and that was axed).

I was thinking of configuring the DSFW and looking at removing the Novell Client but have so many other things to catch up on this is low on my list. I am still trying to figure out whether I have some end users that are crying wolf and their isn't as big of a problem as they claim of if I do have a real issue.

Any registry changes I should look at doing to help? I went through the documents and have started to deploy the documented changes to see if they help but haven't revisited any of those clients to see if they noticed large changes in the way it performs.

Thanks for all the responses!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Talyn75;2313125 wrote:
I have read through a lot of the older posts regarding slow login processes and have tried to look at the schools computers to see if things can be improved with some of the solutions. I talked with another schools SysAdmin about it as well and he indicated that they have started to move away from using the Novell client and have the computers auto-logging into Windows and only associating bundles to the device and never to the user.

Although I feel this side steps the issue a bit, it does provide a solution. It also presents some questions that I have been told to resolve by the Supt. He would like the lower grades login's to be as quick as possible to allow the student as much trouble free time as possible with the computer. The teachers in the elementary buildings complain that the login (from boot up to the user actually doing something) is taking between 5 and 10 minutes. I had one try to convince me that she had some of her laptops that were taking 30 minutes to get to a stage that was useful. Although I couldn't find any of her laptops that did that for me I also don't want to dismiss her claim either.

Does anyone have tweaks to Windows 7 and zenworks that helped speed up the login process? Is the best course in this case to move away from user accounts on the local systems for each user and to only associate the bundles with the device and not with the user? I removed the existing GPO policy to see if it helped and since it seemed to be failing more then it was successful. But I can't really see any improvements. I also don't know if a pure novell based system where Active Directory isn't installed provides for a good GPO deployment.

I personally don't like the idea of having shared user accounts. I think it is better for the younger kids to start to learn how security and proper use of a username and password should be done. And that it is important. I push the staff to look at it as a ongoing learning opportunity that should be integrated in the students daily life. But I also understand that for most of them they get the student for 30 minutes so every minute counts to getting other work done.

Any help or advice would be welcomed. I have placed the exceptions in my Anti-Virus per the document so hopefully that helps.

Could you give us more information?

Like what login times are you referring to?

Which ZMC version are you on?

We use Windows 7 Enterprise w/SP1
Novell Client 2 SP3
ZCM 11.2.3 MU1 -> 11.2.4 MU1 agents

Once we adjusted our McAfee VSE AV settings appropriately, we see very little difference in login times with or without the Novell Client (maybe 3-5 seconds difference).

Nothing special was tweaked other than the AV settings.

I DO know that if you have your Agent Zone settings set to refresh "too quickly" (the default is random refresh from 5-6 minutes), it can make the login times hideously slow.

If you're on ZCM 11.2.3 or higher I think the default is also to show the zcm login process, so you can time how long it takes for the:
Login to User Source,
etc.

To help narrow down any culprits.
0 Likes
tbattista1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hello there.

I actually was having some long log in times for users, after the user logged in with the novell client, zenworks would say "signing in from user source" and just sit there for a good 45 seconds to a minute. I came accross this documentation and now login times on a cold start are about 30-45 seconds, 10-15 on a warm login.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_system_admin/data/bbtsocd.html

hopefully this will help you as well!

Cheers!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.