Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OS specs

According to my reading of system requirements zcm 2017 requires Windows 2012 or higher. We have zcm 11,4 x running on windows 2008. Do I actually have to upgrade to 2012 or 2016?

Thomas
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That is correct. The ZCM 2017 Installer will not allow itself to run on Windows 2008 R2.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well It is supposed to prevent it and it should not be done.........can't say I've actually verified it will abort but that has historically been the behavior for unsupported Primary Server Operating Systems.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note Upgrading the OS to ZCM 2012 prior to upgrading to 2017 was officially tested.
(No ZCM Issues discovered, though not 100% of the OS upgrades themselves were successful...some VM Boot issues, but totally unrelated to ZCM)

I would not recommend upgrading the OS to Windows 2016 to prep for the upgrade, because the primary will still be running ZCM11.4.x, which does not support Windows 2016.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK thanks for the heads up.

Thomas

Note Upgrading the OS to ZCM 2012 prior to upgrading to 2017 was
officially tested.
(No ZCM Issues discovered, though not 100% of the OS upgrades themselves
were successful...some VM Boot issues, but totally unrelated to ZCM)

I would not recommend upgrading the OS to Windows 2016 to prep for the
upgrade, because the primary will still be running ZCM11.4.x, which does
not support Windows 2016.

--
--
Any Opinions, Thoughts, Solutions, or Blog Entries are my own and may or
may not be shared by Novell or any Sane Person
Please Use at your Own Risk.

Blog - https://forums.novell.com/blog.php/5830-CRAIGDWILSON

https://ideas.microfocus.com/mfi/novell-zcm

-
What's the future of ZENworks and how can you get involved as it evolves
to a converged Unified Endpoint Management solution?
We're entering beta soon and want your feedback, click '*-here-*'
(https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/zenworks-2016-enter-next-phase-life/)
to find out more.-
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRAIGDWILSON's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5830
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=501890
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am intrigued by "not 100% of the OS upgrades themselves were successful...some VM Boot issues, but totally unrelated to ZCM" and here's why. I am in the situation of having 5 ZCM primaries at 2008R2. In my test bed I took an 11.4.3 primary running 2008R2 and did an inplace upgrade to 2012. It "worked fine" with the teensy-weensy problem of not allowing me to log into the server, except in safe mode. Not handy. You'd probably think that having had that result I wouldn't try it on a live server, but I thought, what the heck. Did it on a production server, and same result. It's not a disaster, since I can easily revert to pre-upgrade. However, doing inplace upgrades would be way faster than doing five new servers from scratch and copying a fairly large content repository manually.

So I'm just wondering if by any chance the problems you were referring to might have been the inability to log on to the server except in safe mode, and if so, if a fix for that was found. You said it didn't seem related to ZCM, and yet the two ZCM servers I tried had the same result. Since there is nothing but ZCM installed on them, it's hard to imagine it isn't somehow related to ZCM. Seems to me the ZCM agent has a certain amount of interaction with the GINA... could that be related?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

kennolson;2455920 wrote:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am intrigued by "not 100% of the OS upgrades themselves were successful...some VM Boot issues, but totally unrelated to ZCM" and here's why. I am in the situation of having 5 ZCM primaries at 2008R2. In my test bed I took an 11.4.3 primary running 2008R2 and did an inplace upgrade to 2012. It "worked fine" with the teensy-weensy problem of not allowing me to log into the server, except in safe mode. Not handy. You'd probably think that having had that result I wouldn't try it on a live server, but I thought, what the heck. Did it on a production server, and same result. It's not a disaster, since I can easily revert to pre-upgrade. However, doing inplace upgrades would be way faster than doing five new servers from scratch and copying a fairly large content repository manually.

So I'm just wondering if by any chance the problems you were referring to might have been the inability to log on to the server except in safe mode, and if so, if a fix for that was found. You said it didn't seem related to ZCM, and yet the two ZCM servers I tried had the same result. Since there is nothing but ZCM installed on them, it's hard to imagine it isn't somehow related to ZCM. Seems to me the ZCM agent has a certain amount of interaction with the GINA... could that be related?

For your case, Remove the "User Spoke" from the server prior to upgrade. (still can do after....)
This is necessary for WIn10 as well due to a change in some things.
The user spoke can then be added back.

No, not related to my comments above.
--
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

added back after upgrade of course.........
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hoo! Magic!

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by "user spoke", but when I overrode the ZENworks Agent settings for that server (using ZCC) and cleared the checkbox for "User Management Installed" under "Agent Features" and issued a refresh: voila! my login screen returned. Very nice. I'm guessing that once I install ZENworks 2017 I can put that setting back to "install"?

Thanks so much for your help!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

kennolson;2455959 wrote:
Hoo! Magic!

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by "user spoke", but when I overrode the ZENworks Agent settings for that server (using ZCC) and cleared the checkbox for "User Management Installed" under "Agent Features" and issued a refresh: voila! my login screen returned. Very nice. I'm guessing that once I install ZENworks 2017 I can put that setting back to "install"?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes you can put it back, but normally I would not recommend enabling the "User Spoke" on most Server PCs unless they are designed to be used by End Users, such as a terminal server.
Helps avoid a case where you accidentally push Desktop PC User settings to a server.

Normally User specific Bundles/Polices are not needed to be delivered to you ZCM Primary Servers, Your Database Servers, Domain Controllers, etc.. etc...
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2456030 wrote:
Yes you can put it back, but normally I would not recommend enabling the "User Spoke" on most Server PCs unless they are designed to be used by End Users, such as a terminal server.
Helps avoid a case where you accidentally push Desktop PC User settings to a server.

Normally User specific Bundles/Polices are not needed to be delivered to you ZCM Primary Servers, Your Database Servers, Domain Controllers, etc.. etc...

Good point. I will leave it off. I tend to go with default settings when I don't know better. This is the sort of thing where I almost wonder if the default setting for user management in the ZEN agent on servers should be off. Anyway, thanks again for the info.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.