Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
heavyhaze Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PXE Boot Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook usb nic? Does it work?

Help! I have to order some Dell Ultrabooks and I see they don't have built in NICs. They appear to offer a USB NIC that they say supports PXE but most things I have seen are talking about sccm and windows solutions. Will this thing image on our ZCM 11.2.1 infrastructure?

Thankz,

HeavyHaze
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
HenrLee Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: PXE Boot Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook usb nic? Does it work?

I had one of these to build at the tail end of last year and never managed to get it to image via PXE. In the end I ran out of time and had to build it manually and I haven't had another one in since to continue working with.
0 Likes
heavyhaze Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HenrLee;2255383 wrote:
I had one of these to build at the tail end of last year and never managed to get it to image via PXE. In the end I ran out of time and had to build it manually and I haven't had another one in since to continue working with.

Well I hope it is possible because it is an executive we really want to keep happy so I am crossing my fingers we don't have to build these machines manually.

Thanks for the reply,

HeavyHaze

Anyone else?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Even if you do not get the USB NIC working, you can still image from a
USB Drive.

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/13605/zenworks-111-imaging-usb-drive-additional-partition-large-image-files

On 3/29/2013 10:46 AM, heavyhaze wrote:
>
> HenrLee;2255383 Wrote:
>> I had one of these to build at the tail end of last year and never
>> managed to get it to image via PXE. In the end I ran out of time and had
>> to build it manually and I haven't had another one in since to continue
>> working with.

>
> Well I hope it is possible because it is an executive we really want to
> keep happy so I am crossing my fingers we don't have to build these
> machines manually.
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> HeavyHaze
>
> Anyone else?
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
kenrw Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes and no. In order to get imaging (from server) working, you'll have to manually compile the linux driver for the "StarTech USB21000S2" usb adapter. If you have another USB to ethernet adapter that already has the drivers integrated into the kernel (like the "StarTech USB21000S"), you can plug both adapters in, PXE off the USB21000S2, then download the files from the USB21000S. Or you can both off a thumb drive with an append line like this to use the image off USB21000S:

APPEND 5 initrd=/boot/initrd mode=5 USBBOOT=YES rootimage=/root ramdisk_size=67584 install=tftp://server.name.here/boot/ splash=verbose vga=0x303 tftptimeout=50

Anyone have updated docs on compiling drivers manually?
0 Likes
heavyhaze Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yikes. I will let you all know what I find I guess.

zenworks911
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.