Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Partition size given is too large...

Running ZENworks 11.1a, SLES 11

A few weeks ago I created a Win 7 Pro image, from an HP OEM syspreped laptop, ProBook 4530s. It worked fine on the three laptops I imaged the next day, but now the image won't take. I get the following error when imaging: "partition size given is too large (not enough space on the drive)." It created a 297 Mb partition and a 3XXGb partition. I tried erasing all partitions with ZENworks, same problem. I also tried making a single large partition, activating and assigning it; the image took, but the system rebooted with a can't find winload.exe error, (working from memory). Is there something I need to do with ImageExplorer?

The OEM setup has 4 partitions on a 360Gb drive. No, I don't have a Win7 disk, can't get my boss to buy even a few vol. licenses we currently need.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

elphantasmo,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi
I know this is a bit late, but here is my solution

I have seen this with some Dell systems.
If you do a img pd-all then reboot and do a fdisk -l the partition is still there.
Various fdisks etc dont seem to clear it either
It seems like the bios is 'protecting' the partition.
If you move the disk to another system the imaging works perfectly.

So if you have a system that is the same config, image it on that and then move the disk back

If you haven't do it manually, but don't allow the system to reboot.
The move the disk back to the original system and let it boot
All good from there.

Im sure someone will come up with a better solution

Mark
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Don´t use OEM.
Microsoft will not support it. OEM may not be transferred to another computer
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any news on this? Have some Dell Latitude E6430 with same problem here now (ZCM 11.4.2).

When trying to image these devices (no matter what harddisk inside) the imaging process begins with trying to formatting the drive and the error appears immediately: "Partition size given is too large."
Had to image the hdd (same hdd same image) in another dell model (E6320) and replace it back to the Latitude E6430 - like markcasey described
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Martin,

BIOS upgrade needed perhaps?

--

Shaun Pond (now working for ENGL)
newly reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Latest BIOS already installed. Maybe thats the problem.
I could imagine, that in the past i already imaged a Dell Latitude E6430. And now, it doesn't work anymore. So maybe a Bios-Udpate in the meantime is the reason for the problem now...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Martin,

😞 I guess an SR is the way forward...

--

Shaun Pond (now working for ENGL)
newly reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK SR#101032281621 is open...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

martin_schukar;2441795 wrote:
Any news on this? Have some Dell Latitude E6430 with same problem here now (ZCM 11.4.2).

When trying to image these devices (no matter what harddisk inside) the imaging process begins with trying to formatting the drive and the error appears immediately: "Partition size given is too large."
Had to image the hdd (same hdd same image) in another dell model (E6320) and replace it back to the Latitude E6430 - like markcasey described

After doing THIS, would it THEN image?
This could indicate that the BIOS was protecting portions of the HDD, but those areas would then have been cleared by the imaging process.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Also Check the BIOS for HDD Emulation Settings across those two systems.....See if a difference may be a root cause.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Shaun, your idea with imaging update was the right one ;).
Normally we are updating bios automatically via the "dell command update utility". Unfortunately, the utility on the Latitude E6430 said that the already installed Version "A16" for the "Dell Latitude E6430" is the latest one. Now i checked the dell support website again to be sure and evoila: There is a newer Bios "A18". So i downloaded the Bios-Update manually as an exe-installer, did an bios-update on the problem-notebook and now the imaging works perfectly 😉
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.