New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Patch Management Interfering With Bundle Launch

It seems that any bundles that try to launch while a patch is being installed just stack up behind it. After the patch is finished then everything opens. This behavior makes sense to me, but it needs to change. I have users launching simple shortcut bundles as many times times as they can click and getting frustrated when nothing happens until a few minutes later when they get 50 tabs open or something.

I assume bundle ordering has something to do with this, but I'm confused about it's use. If I enable ordering on a user-assigned bundle and assign it a priority of 0, will it launch while a device assigned patch that doesn't have ordering enabled is being installed? How do I make this work?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

coreyhansen;2329929 wrote:
It seems that any bundles that try to launch while a patch is being installed just stack up behind it. After the patch is finished then everything opens. This behavior makes sense to me, but it needs to change. I have users launching simple shortcut bundles as many times times as they can click and getting frustrated when nothing happens until a few minutes later when they get 50 tabs open or something.

I assume bundle ordering has something to do with this, but I'm confused about it's use. If I enable ordering on a user-assigned bundle and assign it a priority of 0, will it launch while a device assigned patch that doesn't have ordering enabled is being installed? How do I make this work?

You don't, really.

The main issue is that ZCM is not aware of all things "bundle". ZPM doesn't know/care that you have bundles that are also set to launch at the same time and the bundle code doesn't know/care that ZPM is doing stuff.

Throw in System Update in there and you've got a world of hurt.

About the only suggestions I can come up with:
1) Deploy your bundles on user login, but deploy your patches on a schedule like 1:00 p.m. or something in the afternoon and don't do an auto-reboot
2) Try to deploy your patches on days where you're not deploying Bundles (sometimes easier said than done)
3) Use WOL to wake up the machines, patch them, and then shut them down.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you very much for the reply! So the WOL option seems the better of the three, but I have a question concerning the viability of ZPM in general. If ZPM actually impedes the use of bundles and seems to be a bit of a pain to get working anyway, what's the benefit over WSUS? It's possible I'm nowhere near a best practice in my patching habits, but this last problem feels like the last straw for me. Using a different solution would free me up to push updates during the day. Perhaps that's a bad idea and I'm flat doing it wrong?

I appreciate your input on this. I'm pretty new to, well, everything.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 8/19/2014 12:06 PM, coreyhansen wrote:
>
> It seems that any bundles that try to launch while a patch is being
> installed just stack up behind it.

True

> After the patch is finished then everything opens.

True

> I have users launching simple shortcut bundles as many times times as they can click and getting frustrated when nothing happens

Consider a Prompt so the Users can Accept or at least know an Install is
Running and they need to wait.

> I assume bundle ordering has something to do with this

Bundle Ordering should have nothing to do with the ability to manually
launch a Bundle while patch is installing patches.

Generally after patches have been installed it would be STRONGLY
recommended to reboot the device, especially for Windows Patches.

Otherwise, Locked Files will not be updated and another install could
try to update those same locked files and result in incorrect files
being the final result.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Technical Support Engineer

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.