Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
927 views

Patch Policy Deployment when no Desktop available?

I finally have my Patch policy setup working the way I would like and have it deploying patches when a desktop session is available using zac pap type setup. I am now looking at a way to deploy the same setup only have zac pap process run at the login prompt. Essentially I would like the desktops that I have auto-booting during the weekend. I had looked at setting the process to run scheduled during that time but don't want to limit the process to only that deployment. I still would like to allow the end user to launch the patch process manually.

Is this something that can be easily setup using a scheduled bundle calling the zac pap process as a system user? Or is there a better way to get this functioning?

Thanks

Rich
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Patch Policy Deployment when no Desktop available?

rhuhman,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.novell.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com


0 Likes
Highlighted
bradleyjohnson
New Member.

Re: Patch Policy Deployment when no Desktop available?

For the most part we have our patch policies run on a schedule. We do
have a "zac pap" bundle that we use occasionally when we want to run the
patch policy outside the normal schedule. Launch action, Command =
${WinSysDir}\cmd.exe, Command Line Parameters = /c "zac pap", Run as
secure system user. This has been working fine for us.

Brad Johnson



rhuhman wrote:
>
> I finally have my Patch policy setup working the way I would like and
> have it deploying patches when a desktop session is available using zac
> pap type setup. I am now looking at a way to deploy the same setup only
> have zac pap process run at the login prompt. Essentially I would like
> the desktops that I have auto-booting during the weekend. I had looked
> at setting the process to run scheduled during that time but don't want
> to limit the process to only that deployment. I still would like to
> allow the end user to launch the patch process manually.
>
> Is this something that can be easily setup using a scheduled bundle
> calling the zac pap process as a system user? Or is there a better way
> to get this functioning?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich
>
>


0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Patch Policy Deployment when no Desktop available?

I changed a few of my configuration items to see if it will give me a better reboot option. I can't tell if it is actually working. Do you know if i do not set a scheduled Patch Policy push of updates will the update settings at the bottom of the page still take effect and reboot the system only if it is required. Currently my bundle does a reboot after the zac pap process finished. I haven't found a way to detect a reboot is needed.

I am planning to set the Patch Policy function to run scheduled patch installs but that might only be after hours which will not be effective to the bulk of my systems.

Thanks

Rich
0 Likes
bradleyjohnson
New Member.

Re: Patch Policy Deployment when no Desktop available?

rhuhman wrote:
>
> I changed a few of my configuration items to see if it will give me a
> better reboot option. I can't tell if it is actually working. Do you
> know if i do not set a scheduled Patch Policy push of updates will the
> update settings at the bottom of the page still take effect and reboot
> the system only if it is required. Currently my bundle does a reboot
> after the zac pap process finished. I haven't found a way to detect a
> reboot is needed.


I've not done much testing on this, but I believe the Patch Policy
Reboot Behavior settings should be effective whether the Scheduled
Enforcement schedule is set or is left as manual using zac pap.

>
> I am planning to set the Patch Policy function to run scheduled patch
> installs but that might only be after hours which will not be effective
> to the bulk of my systems.


We have a Wake On LAN bundle that runs prior to the Patch Policy
Enforcement Scheduled time so the machines are alive for the patch
policy to run.


Brad Johnson

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.