de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Possible to exclude group of systems from folder?

We have ~1800 bundles in ~15 folders, various of which are force-run, in ZCM11.2.4. We have been working exclusively with Win7 up until now.

Now we're doing testing with a limited number of Win8 systems, and I'd particularly like to exclude the Win8 systems from receiving any force-run bundles, or preferably exclude the Win8 systems from getting certain of the folders. This is many times more preferable to going in & modifying all the unwanted bundles so they will only execute on Win7.

Is there any way to exclude an entire folder from deploying (or showing at all) based on some requirement, group, or other method?

Conversely is there any way to exclude certain folders from the device side?

I can't see a practical way to even block things en masse; to the best of my understanding, "block" is bundle-by-bundle, one device at a time, only.

Thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Possible to exclude group of systems from folder?

de;2406767 wrote:
We have ~1800 bundles in ~15 folders, various of which are force-run, in ZCM11.2.4. We have been working exclusively with Win7 up until now.

Now we're doing testing with a limited number of Win8 systems, and I'd particularly like to exclude the Win8 systems from receiving any force-run bundles, or preferably exclude the Win8 systems from getting certain of the folders. This is many times more preferable to going in & modifying all the unwanted bundles so they will only execute on Win7.

Is there any way to exclude an entire folder from deploying (or showing at all) based on some requirement, group, or other method?

Conversely is there any way to exclude certain folders from the device side?

I can't see a practical way to even block things en masse; to the best of my understanding, "block" is bundle-by-bundle, one device at a time, only.

Thanks.

You could place the Windows 8 Devices in their own Folder for now, so they do not inherit anything.
I may suggest an enhancement request to let you control the inheritance of applications on a device or folder level so nothing would flow down.
See my Sig on where you can do this.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm required to put the devices in their "normal" folders which are location-oriented, although they're also in dynamic device groups. I also realized that they're actually getting a bundle group rather than the individual bundles; however, I don't see a way to block anything by bundle group, or put requirements on it rather than just the associations with device folders ... only blocking I see is by individual app.

I just keep hoping I'm missing something at times like this ....
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

de;2406889 wrote:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm required to put the devices in their "normal" folders which are location-oriented, although they're also in dynamic device groups. I also realized that they're actually getting a bundle group rather than the individual bundles; however, I don't see a way to block anything by bundle group, or put requirements on it rather than just the associations with device folders ... only blocking I see is by individual app.

AFAIK, only blocking bundles on individual assignments is possible. Meaning:
No blocking by Group.

Would be nice, but there's some logistics involved because a user/device can be in more than one group, so there's the matter of how you'd handle that (someone would have to decide, but you'll probably not satisfy everyone).
0 Likes
Highlighted
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2406891 wrote:
Would be nice, but there's some logistics involved because a user/device can be in more than one group, so there's the matter of how you'd handle that (someone would have to decide, but you'll probably not satisfy everyone).

Well, that's just really the endless argument over whether "allow" or "deny" should prevail. I think the current way of thinking is towards "deny" always trumping "allow", which IMO is a sea change from 10 yrs ago.

My other wish right now is for a setting that would let me effect "don't show this bundle if it's already been installed". Oh, I can set to install once per device, but the app still shows past that point, and there is no criteria to block visibility based on having installed *this* bundle (vs having installed a different one). So, yeah, I can define criteria such as whether a component file exists, but I wish I could just say "Run this once and then don't show it any more".

Or maybe there is, again, something I'm just overlooking.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

de;2406889 wrote:

System Requirements such as OS or the existence of a File/Reg key would be the only options and not great.
Otherwise, as you noted blocking the app one by one.
--
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craigdwilson,
> System Requirements such as OS or the existence of a File/Reg key would
> be the only options and not great.

That is what I would do, possibly setting that key, based on address or
from a list of Mac addresses in the login script.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

I set OS requirements always. And in some bundles, other requirements like other bundles installed first and hardware requirements. A date range would be nice addition.
After all, MS will always have a new OS coming out.
(1800 BUNDLES !!!!!)
Cheers
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gerwil,
> A date
> range would be nice addition.

Agreed. I suggest you make an enhancement request

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Not sure what you mean by a Date Range....There is an availability Schedule...........
--
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Hi
Whoops, missed that one. Assignment Details\Availability schedule\Recurring\Days of week\MORE OPTIONS !!
Just trying to keep you on your toes 😉
Cheers
0 Likes
de Absent Member.
Absent Member.

GERWIL;2406927 wrote:
I set OS requirements always. And in some bundles, other requirements like other bundles installed first and hardware requirements.

Yup, that's exactly what I wish was there already!

Now I'm just adding it in to each bundle that has a force-run (e.g. only run if Win7); eventually I'll have to force some kind of re-organization, but at least the visibility of the apps won't break anything. I just was thinking how cool it would be if I could designate an entire folder with some set of requirements.

Don't get me wrong: there are requirements on almost every bundle, but NO thought of checking for Win7 at all. There's a lot of "make sure it's not Terminal Server" all the way to "is it this type of user in this location who also has this other app installed?"

I don't want to knock the folks who built all this up, because overall it's relatively awesome -- but every once in a while there's something that simply defies common sense & any awareness of planning ahead. (e.g. I have a running battle to get the packagers to use standard system variables instead of their own quirky idea of how to set things.)
(1800 BUNDLES !!!!!)
Cheers

Yuh, really -- this is a diversified collection of companies, when it comes down to it, even if they all have a common part of their name. What's really astounding is that it's 1800 active bundles for just twice that number of users. 3 primary and 6 satellite servers, because a good part of the company is scattered across the country, plus support for users who are totally remote and only connect over the internet.

But there are very few apps that are common to large sets of users; each business area seems to have a bunch of software that they *must* have for their specific industry segment or function.

This is also complicated by supporting FAR too many versions of some common apps. Due to the collection of businesses, any business area can decide to defer upgrading to a later version of <whatever> no matter how long it's been out-of-date.

But there's very little software that's allowed to exist on endpoints without coming via Zenworks. So the range of apps is everything from "turn off this service because it interferes with a given business area's SaaS app", to the whole Creative Suite ball-o'-wax.

Since I only occasionally package, it's kind of a blast for me, after working mostly with companies that have <100 employees, and doing all the Zenworks work on my own. It's probably much nicer to be able to refine and improve something like this, than to build it in the first place.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.