Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Prevent Workstation automatic reboot after agent update

How can the automatic reboot after successfull automatic upgrade of the ZCM agent be supressed? I configured deployment stages with "Prompt User" Reboot Behavior, but the upgrade process reboots the workstation after 5 minutes timeout automaticaly if the user does not click on the >Supress< button in the message window which pops up after finishing. This behaviour is *unacceptable* in our environment and Management thinks about canceling ZCM deployment if no solution is present for this.

Werner Seifert
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Prevent Workstation automatic reboot after agent update

Novell have a document listing registry settings for the update watcher. They can provide a copy if you ask them. However, the key you need is:

"Reboot Prompt Timeout: When an update is assigned with the prompt user for reboot option,
the default behavior is to wait 5 minutes for a response from the user and, in the absence of a
response, automatically initiate the reboot. I have added the ability to change the time out for
this prompt. To do this, create the following Registry Key/Value on the device prior to
initiating the update:
Key: \\HKLM\Software\Novell\ZENworks\SystemUpdate String Value: RebootPromptTimeout
This value should be specified in minutes the prompt should wait, or -1 to wait indefinitely.
Invalid values are ignored and the default timeout is used"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

...forgot to mention that the update watcher registry keys work with agent update 10.2 and later...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

itsslicences;1844914 wrote:
Novell have a document listing registry settings for the update watcher. They can provide a copy if you ask them. However, the key you need is:

"Reboot Prompt Timeout: When an update is assigned with the prompt user for reboot option,
the default behavior is to wait 5 minutes for a response from the user and, in the absence of a
response, automatically initiate the reboot. I have added the ability to change the time out for
this prompt. To do this, create the following Registry Key/Value on the device prior to
initiating the update:
Key: \\HKLM\Software\Novell\ZENworks\SystemUpdate String Value: RebootPromptTimeout
This value should be specified in minutes the prompt should wait, or -1 to wait indefinitely.
Invalid values are ignored and the default timeout is used"

That might come in very handy the next time we deploy a update. It would be ideal to have a longer period of time for the user to finish what they are doing before updating.

Brand Howard - Texas State Technical College Waco 3 - ZCM 10.3.1 primary servers on SLES 10 and 11 1 - Oracle database server on SLES 10
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jeeproject;1845145 wrote:
That might come in very handy the next time we deploy a update. It would be ideal to have a longer period of time for the user to finish what they are doing before updating.

There are a few other useful keys too. I don't want to post them all here as I don't think that the document I have from Novell has been officially released yet. The keys that have used so far have all worked though. Novell should be able to provide a copy of the dcument on request, or perhaps someone from Novell can link this post to it?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the information, was very usefull and solved my problem. Maybe Novell (SPond ??) is reading this thread and can provide us with the document(s) ..

Werner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wseifert,

if I knew what they were, maybe I could?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,

The document I was sent is called "ZCM_10_2_Systemupdate_Enhancements.pdf" if that helps. I'm told it came from Novell, and looks like it was written by the engineer who made the agent enhancements.

Martin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Itsslicences,

thanks, I've written to the guy who did the work on SU, see if it's his
🙂

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but does this registry tweak still work in Zenworks 11.1 ?
and does it work for installation too not just upgrades ?
Thanks

Cheers!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Ipst13,
> Sorry to wake up an old thread, but does this registry tweak still work
> in Zenworks 11.1 ?
> and does it work for installation too not just upgrades ?

Not sure why you ask here as it is 11.x related 🙂 and in 11.x you can
select whether to reboot or not on update.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Anders,

True but I didn't find an already started thread regarding this.
Mainly it's for imaging purpose. In the process of imaging the device, it reboots and a script starts configuring the device.
In the process it installs a few apps including the zenworks agent 11.1. But we end the process with a windows update and that is the trigger to reboot.
Before using the previous solution, we intended to windows update , then install the zenworks agent in the end, and let the agent reboot the device.

That's why I need to know. I'm testing now the old value, but not too sure it will work on installation. Maybe on upgrade, but I'm not there yet.

thanks

Cheers!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.