Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
odegos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Priamary Server High Utilization

I have been running my primary server now for about 10 months and all of a sudden it started to be very busy. The CPU utilization is spiking allot, its as if its getting stuck on something. This has been ongoing for 2 months. It keeps spiking and dropping agian - once its in a spiked position I cannot log into the portal, server too busy to accept new connections.

Here is an extract from my top command:

top - 14:19:32 up 12 days, 22:47, 1 user, load average: 28.60, 22.41, 12.53
3948 root 20 0 1949m 69m 980 S 99 2.4 7805:50 dbsrv10
3623 root 20 0 988m 145m 1696 S 16 5.0 45:55.73 jsvc

Primary Server running the embedded DB.
SLES 11 SP1 64bit
ZCM 11.0.0.40909
5 Satellites Attached
60 ZAA Clients

Any idea what I can look at?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Priamary Server High Utilization

odegos;2145606 wrote:
I have been running my primary server now for about 10 months and all of a sudden it started to be very busy. The CPU utilization is spiking allot, its as if its getting stuck on something. This has been ongoing for 2 months. It keeps spiking and dropping agian - once its in a spiked position I cannot log into the portal, server too busy to accept new connections.

Here is an extract from my top command:

top - 14:19:32 up 12 days, 22:47, 1 user, load average: 28.60, 22.41, 12.53
3948 root 20 0 1949m 69m 980 S 99 2.4 7805:50 dbsrv10
3623 root 20 0 988m 145m 1696 S 16 5.0 45:55.73 jsvc

Primary Server running the embedded DB.
SLES 11 SP1 64bit
ZCM 11.0.0.40909
5 Satellites Attached
60 ZAA Clients

Any idea what I can look at?

What kind of maintenance do you normally run (as in scheduled backups) and in which way?

Have you tried verifying and maybe also rebuilding your database? I'm curious to the size of your ZCM database as also the transaction log.

-Willem
0 Likes
odegos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Magic31, I was away and only able to followup with this post.

I have not to date done any maintenance on the DB, could you point me into the Best Practice steps?
The size of the DB is sitting at 700Mb (/var/opt/novell/zenworks/database/zonename.db)
Backups are managed by a CA ArcServer agent.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

odegos;2149316 wrote:
I have not to date done any maintenance on the DB, could you point me into the Best Practice steps?
The size of the DB is sitting at 700Mb (/var/opt/novell/zenworks/database/zonename.db)
Backups are managed by a CA ArcServer agent.

Are you making a separate sysbase backup, stopping services (including the embedded database) before running the backup, or does your ArcServe agent run with a special Sybase agent? If not you are risking not being able to restore the database if ever needed.

Also having Sybase run a backup of the database will truncate the transaction log which will bring the size down, have a look here : Novell Documentation, 31.3 Backing Up the Embedded Sybase SQL Anywhere Database

Also make sure to backup the CA & ZENserver configuration : Novell Documentation, 34.0 Backing Up and Restoring the ZENworks Server and Certificate Authority

Rebuilding the database will also shrink and defragment the database, which is also good from a performance perspective : Novell Documentation, Section 33.1.1, Rebuilding the Sybase Database

Good chance the unusual high loads will come down after having made a backup using the Sybase tools & having rebuilt the database.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Yea ... what Magic31 said.
Would be good if this was all 'point and click' and a response like 'Backup completed' in the logs. I'm still not sure how my backups work. Copied in the script from doco from 10.1.3 days and haven't touched it since. No idea where it is etc other than the backups get updated.
Hacking from the back end is crude. Enhancement perhaps.
Cheers
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.