Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Primary Server Diagnostics Problem

Jump to solution

Hi All

I am currently having a problem with our Zenworks 2017 update 4 Primary (and only) server where the diagnostics are not working at all, the status simply says “server not reachable” it has been like that for a while but everything else seemed to be working perfectly, so sadly fixing this took a bit of a back seat.

I am now trying to fix it, I have tried to remove and then redeploy the probe on the server (I got the msi from the ZENworks_17.4.0_Update.zip) and I am still receiving the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

I want to upgrade our server to 2020 soon but would like to get this fixed first.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Primary Server Diagnostics Problem

Jump to solution

Try this TID and see if the errors in your logs match to the ones in the TID. If so, try the resolution by running those novell-zenworks-configure commands.

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7015138

View solution in original post

0 Likes
20 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you send the following information?

1) How many primary servers do you have in the zone?

2) If you have multiple servers, can the servers reach each other? Or are they connecting only to localhost in diagnostics page..

3) Can you send a screenshot of the diagnostics page ?

4) Can you send the zcc.log from the server where you see this failure?

5) Can you see whether you can ping using the IP addresses of the server..

6) On the servers, can you ensure whether the ports 61491, 61492, 61493, 61495 are listening and allowed in firewall.

Will request for more info if required.

Mani

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the reply

1. We only have 1 server running Zenworks.
  2. See above.
  3. See attached.
  4. See attached, I have replaced the servers IP address on the request of my network manager.
  5. Pinging the server works fine.
  6. All those ports are open inbound, do they need to be open outbound as well? And I cannot see them in the list of listening ports in resource monitor.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

From the logs, I suspect something wrong with the primary server's keystore file.. I would suggest to open an SR. We can take it from there.

Mani

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi

Sadly we are a school and as part of our plan we do not get access to service requests.  Whenever we have enquired about a service contract with our supplier they have said it would be about £2500 which is sadly more then we can afford, well that’s usually all we can get out of our supplier as they want us to use there engineers at £100 per hour instead, and I have struggled to find (or have time to try to find) someone else to help us with it.   

Is there anything I can do to try to fix this?

Is there any kind of “pay as you go” SR service?

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

There should be "jmxagent" folder underneath the logdir. It should contain files such as

zen-jmxagent_61491.log (one for each of the listeners) which should give further insight.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi thanks for the reply

They all seem to be saying this over and over again, and i

[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:058.914][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][starting connector server][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.10][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][port is 61491][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.133][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][keystore password is null..][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.133][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][Trying to read password from passphrase file][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.149][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][Use ssl is true][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.149][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][Setting the ssl provider][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.164][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][Original socket factory is null][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]
[DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.524][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][There is an exception ][java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to check if the cipher suites and protocols to enable are supported
at javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory.<init>(SslRMIServerSocketFactory.java:188)
at javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory.<init>(SslRMIServerSocketFactory.java:118)
at com.novell.zenworks.javaagent.JMXAgent.startConnectorServer(JMXAgent.java:161)
at com.novell.zenworks.javaagent.JMXAgent.premain(JMXAgent.java:113)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:386)
at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(InstrumentationImpl.java:401)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.net.ssl.DefaultSSLSocketFactory.throwException(SSLSocketFactory.java:248)
at javax.net.ssl.DefaultSSLSocketFactory.createSocket(SSLSocketFactory.java:255)
at javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory.<init>(SslRMIServerSocketFactory.java:184)
... 9 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.novell.zenworks.javaagent.security.JmxSSLSocketFactory.<init>(JmxSSLSocketFactory.java:85)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:442)
at javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.getDefault(SSLSocketFactory.java:109)
at javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory.getDefaultSSLSocketFactory(SslRMIServerSocketFactory.java:368)
at javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory.<init>(SslRMIServerSocketFactory.java:180)
... 9 more
][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]

Do i need to set/enter a password somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

So something's going wrong in between

[DEBUG][04/09/2020 15:30:026.577][4184][ZEN JMX Agent][1][zenworks][JMX Agent][][Original socket factory is null][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]

and

[DEBUG][04/09/2020 15:30:027.43][4184][ZEN JMX Agent][1][zenworks][JMX Agent][][Current socket factory is com.novell.zenworks.javaagent.security.JmxSSLSocketFactory][][][][ZENworks JMX Agent]

(from a working system)

Maybe what you get ...

DEBUG][04/08/2020 14:47:059.524][6404][ZEN JMX Agent][1][__z_160_49__][JMX Agent][][There is an exception ][java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to check if the cipher suites and protocols to enable are supported

really indicates a cipher mismatch of your OS and ZCM version / patchlevel. On a current 17.4.1 system the probe version e.g. is

Micro Focus ZENworks Probe Version 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT (r270824 2019-03-27 13:43 +0530)

So if you really are at 17.4.0 i'd think about patching up.

Unfortunately, as i have absolutely no clue of ZCM backend on Windows, i'll have to pass this one to the public.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the help this has at least given me something to try, is there somewhere I can get/downlaod the correct probe version for my version? I have checked the server and it says 17.4.0.0

Thanks again for the help

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Check PM. And use at your own risk. I'd doubt that it'll help too much unless the entire system gets lifted to 17.4.1.a.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi all

I have now tried a different version of the probe and the same problem persists, i have uploaded the 17.4.1a update to my server so just wondering what is the best course of action now,

1: Should I update the server to 17.4.1a and hope this fixes the problem.

Would I have to make sure all the devices agents are updated before I move to 2020? As in the current situation that could be problematic in that the school is almost fully shut down (only children of key workers in) and all the devices are either off or not on site, so they would not receive the update until they come back on site which could be weeks or even months which would stop me from upgrading to 2020 for quite a long time.

2: Should I just upgrade to 2020 again hoping this fixes the problem.  I know I will have the same problem with updating the device agents but this should happen when the machines come back on site and I won’t have multiple agent updates to do.

Thanks for the help.

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

I'd go for option #1for the time being. Less intrusive, especially facing the fact that you currently just want  to resolve the "diagnostics / probe" issue. Just make sure to check all hints listed here

https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=2M3vKyHbNmA~

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.