New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Primary Server(s) cleanup?

I have an older Primary server that keeps filling up the drive space. I created a Appliance based primary which has been running great. I have started to look at several posts and cleaned up a few areas that have helped a little. I am still seeing a large use of space that I am hoping someone has a good idea or resource to follow to help clean up unneeded files/items.

I looked at larger drive space items and found a few items I am unsure whether I can delete or not.
/var/opt/novell/log/zenworks/ZENServer has three files, java_pid<4digitnumber>.hprof which is taking up 7.4 gig each. The Data Modified time is back in July and August. Are these needed or can I delete them without issue?

This particular server has been upgraded repeatedly with items still showing up from 11.4.0. I haven't been able to a script or utility that might help go through the system and remove older items that haven't been used for some time.

Any other items or processes I can run to help with the clean up process?

Thanks

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I don't believe there will be any issues if you delete them: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Java_HProf_Files

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply. I removed those items and a few others that freed up some space. Still seems like a lot of items, specially in the /var/opt/novell/zenworks/content-repo for the first primary server compared to the latest one I deployed. Granted none of my imaging files have been synced over yet so that might be part of it. I am trying to determine if the system just needs additional drive space or if I need to continue to look at cleaning things up.

Thanks for the help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

I am not sure if this will be related to your space issues.

We have an older ZENworks server that has been around since ZCM 11.0
days. Currently it is running 2017 update 1. We get a build up of
directories under /opt/novell/zenworks/bin/tmp, with names of the form
file??????, that I periodically need to remove or the partition fills
up. I believe these "temporary" files are related to patch management
subscription updates. I believe these are supposed to be automatically
cleaned up, but for some reason on this server that is not happening.

Brad Johnson

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

bradleyjohnson;2474495 wrote:
I am not sure if this will be related to your space issues.

We have an older ZENworks server that has been around since ZCM 11.0
days. Currently it is running 2017 update 1. We get a build up of
directories under /opt/novell/zenworks/bin/tmp, with names of the form
file??????, that I periodically need to remove or the partition fills
up. I believe these "temporary" files are related to patch management
subscription updates. I believe these are supposed to be automatically
cleaned up, but for some reason on this server that is not happening.

Brad Johnson

Thanks for the info, there is a TID about that also: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018254

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That helped a lot. 115GB in that folder. Brings the space issue to a manageable level.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class

Interesting that the TID states: "This is fixed in version ZENworks
Configuration Management 2017 Update 1", however, we are on 2017 Update
1 and we are still seeing the issue.

Brad Johnson

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

bradleyjohnson;2474674 wrote:
Interesting that the TID states: "This is fixed in version ZENworks
Configuration Management 2017 Update 1", however, we are on 2017 Update
1 and we are still seeing the issue.

Brad Johnson

Ok, if you are able then please open a SR and tell MF about it.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Is it filling up again.....
Or did it just require cleaning once.........
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It has been several days since I cleaned that location and I don't see anything new in the folder since then. I am seeing the 2017 Update 1 system update re-download and wait for processing once per month around the end of each month since I deployed it several months ago. Each time I redeploy the ZAA update through system updates and it shows Update waiting on each client with only a few clients (currently 71 out of over 900) showing Successful deployment of the agent. This is actually what prompted me to look further at the server. January's download and process of the update failed with not enough disk space. Not sure if this is related or not and I will be interested to see if the tmp folder has additional items show up at the end of this month do to this process.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class

CRAIGDWILSON wrote:
>
> Is it filling up again.....
> Or did it just require cleaning once.........
>
>

It took a few days since I cleaned it out last, but I have a folder
named filep38K4B dated Feb. 5 at 2:01am.

Brad Johnson
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.