ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Captain
Captain

Problems applying preboot imaging script bundle w/ 11.3.2

Hi all,

Just wondering if its just me with these issues.

I had our preboot imaging script bundle assigned to the Workstation folder within the ZCC, but since the update to 11.3.2 when attempting to apply the imaging script bundle to a device within the ZCC it throws an error saying that no imaging script bundle is assigned to the device. The only way to get around this issue has been for me to assign the preboot imaging script bundle to each device within our zone, not the folders they exist within.

Another issue I've had is if I select more than one device within the ZCC the action option "apply assigned imaging bundle" is greyed out. If I only select one device I am able to use that option again.

Can anyone else confirm if they're experiencing the same issues?

We're running 3x SLES 11 primaries running 11.3.2, all with the imaging role (our imaging script load balances between the three).

I've tried accessing the ZCC with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome and they all experience the same issue above.

Regards,

Matt
Labels (2)
0 Likes
26 Replies
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

I to opened an SR and was informed the same thing. I don't know what the reason is for this design change, but for us it is really unwanted and has put a stumbling block into our deployment strategy. Meaning a re-design from our side if it is a design change rather than a bug.

I don't know if it makes sense but maybe I create another SR to try and get to the bottom of this.

Regards

Robert

simonpalmer123;2347814 wrote:
We have just upgraded to 11.3.2 and found these two problems. We opened an SR: 10938382211 and have engineer comments that the new behavior is by design, which is something we're most disturbed about! The engineer opened a bug report to correct the documentation to reflect the loss of functionality. I'll push this as hard as I can, but from our point of view, they have just removed the ability to re-image our labs on a regular basis without resorting to CLI.
Very frustrated here,
Regards,
Simon
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

The latest comment on our SR was that the problems are now being regarded as bugs...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Would someone please explain as Calmly, Politely and Clearly as possible how they used the options before, how they cannot work now, and the problems you are encountering because of the change.
It is true there were some intentional design changes.
I recall being presented as enhancements with more functionality.
Perhaps it may just be a matter of better documentation on how to operate after the changes.
Or it may be that the new design did not take certain functionality into account.

If I can get some nice, pleasant, clear clear customer feedback it would be great.
I know much of the details are already in here, but the more detail the better when I forward this thread onward.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

In 11.3.1, we had a single imaging bundle with "Relationship" to high level containers in our Workstation hierarchy, permanently. If we wanted to image a lab, we would either:
1) multi select 30-40 workstations, and "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle"
2) select some workstation containers (we separate them by room) and "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle"
reboot them, and they'd re-image

So, the first problem our helpdesk came across when they went to image a workstation is that the associated imaging bundle to our containers is no longer valid, so, even if if we "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle" to a single workstation, we get the error:
"No imaging bundle has been assigned to the selected device" - our helpdesk had never had to do this before.
Since 11.3.2, only imaging bundles assigned to single workstation objects are valid. Folder inheritance is now ignored.

So, since 11.3.2, we can't multi select workstations, or Folders to "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle",
And, the use of inheritance for either the or Relationship assignment is no longer working.
0 Likes
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Hi,

we have applied the update 11.3.2 last week.
So, the action "APPLY RULE-BASED IMAGING BUNDLE" no longer works...
waiting for a bugfix

Regards,
Matthias
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

simonpalmer123;2348467 wrote:
In 11.3.1, we had a single imaging bundle with "Relationship" to high level containers in our Workstation hierarchy, permanently. If we wanted to image a lab, we would either:
1) multi select 30-40 workstations, and "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle"
2) select some workstation containers (we separate them by room) and "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle"
reboot them, and they'd re-image

So, the first problem our helpdesk came across when they went to image a workstation is that the associated imaging bundle to our containers is no longer valid, so, even if if we "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle" to a single workstation, we get the error:
"No imaging bundle has been assigned to the selected device" - our helpdesk had never had to do this before.
Since 11.3.2, only imaging bundles assigned to single workstation objects are valid. Folder inheritance is now ignored.

So, since 11.3.2, we can't multi select workstations, or Folders to "Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle",
And, the use of inheritance for either the or Relationship assignment is no longer working.

I was reviewing some things and it appears that ZCM 11.4, The next update after ZCM 11.3.2 FRU1, may address many of the concerns here that a ZCM 11.3.2 design change caused.
--
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

*LOL*

Design change? Ok, how should we image our workstations in future? 😉

I think novell should give us these informations before we start updating our ZENworks environments and environments of our customers.
So it´s easier for us and our customers to ajust the imaging proccess and to inform the helpdesk or every other who is involed in the imaging proccess.

99% of our customers are working with scripted images which were applied via hardwarerules.

If they need to reimage a or some workstation(s), the prefered way is to select the affected workstation(s) -> Action -> "Apply rule-based imaging bundle".

Workaround in 11.3.2 = open the workstation object -> Imaging Work (select Advanced) -> Scheduled work (Apply Rule-based Imaging bundle)

In my point of view and I think of our customers too, it would be very nice to get this function back as soon as posible...

Greetz
Michael
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I wish I had found this thread before updating. This change has made our imaging process painstakingly slow. We're trying to rebuild our computer labs during spring break, and two things are affecting us:

1) After updating to 11.3.2, assigning image bundles by Folder or Dynamic group isn't working. We have our labs separated by folder, so we assign the appropriate image bundles to their folder. Configured that way, applying assigned image bundles gives an error that there is no effective image bundle for that workstation. I tried dynamic groups with the same result. I had to assign the image directly to the workstation to get it to work. Now if we add/remove a machine from a lab, it won't be enough to our registration rules ensure that machine ends in the right folder and group. We'll also have to manually assign that image bundle that machine. We lose a lot of speed and flexibility with this change (exactly the kinds of reasons you have groups in the first place).

2) If we're rebuilding a lab of 60+ machines, we may set all 60 to rebuild then remotely restart them in batches. Before the change, this was a quick process. Go to that lab's folder, select all, Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle. Now? We select 1, Apply Assigned Imaging Bundle. Select the next, Apply assigned imaging bundle. Setting 1 takes as long as it used to take to set 60, so it now takes 60x as long to set that lab as it used to.

I tried creating hardware based rules, because I still have the option to apply rule based images when I select multiple machines, but it hasn't been working for me. I tried creating a couple different basic rules - I tried IP address starts with... and set the first 3 octets of my test machines. I also tried setting by bios manufacturer. When I apply the rule based images to my test machines, they show up as having no work to do. Has anyone gotten this working on registered machines?

It's looking like my best bet might be to use scripts like the ones posted above, but that doesn't work for everyone (not everyone that we have do rebuilds gets access to a server with zman on it).
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does anyone know if this was fixed in FRU1? The only thing close I saw in the notes was BUG 912216 - Apply rule based imaging bundle from action menu does not work, but I was hoping it might have been fixed without being mentioned in the TID.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

From the Bug, the following was caused by some ZCM 11.3.2 imaging changes with the following Fix:

Root cause:
-----------
Null check for bundle id when applying imaging work to a device. But for rule-based imaging work no specific bundle id is associated.

How it was fixed:
-----------------
Included check to apply rule-based imaging work even if bundle id is empty.
--
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The support told me that it was fixed with 11.3.2FRU1. So, i installed
the update: yes, the function "Apply assigned imaging bundle" via
Actions-Menu is back and working, but only when i select one device.

If i select a folder or more than one device the option in the
Actions-menu is greyed out. I can select only the option "Apply
rule-based imaging bundle". But thats not the correct one for us.
Can anybody confirm this?
The scripted imaging-bundle is definitely associated to the folder.

Kind regards,
Thomas
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thomas,

Your issue is a slightly different issues.
Direct your Support Engineer to Defect#920149
That is NOT addressed in 11.3.2 FRU1.

Thomas Degenhardt;2392268 wrote:
The support told me that it was fixed with 11.3.2FRU1. So, i installed
the update: yes, the function "Apply assigned imaging bundle" via
Actions-Menu is back and working, but only when i select one device.

If i select a folder or more than one device the option in the
Actions-menu is greyed out. I can select only the option "Apply
rule-based imaging bundle". But thats not the correct one for us.
Can anybody confirm this?
The scripted imaging-bundle is definitely associated to the folder.

Kind regards,
Thomas
--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.