Buster1234 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Raspberry Pi 4 Satellite

Has anyone managed to get a Raspberry Pi 4 working as a satellite server? I have found a solution that would likely work for a 3+ but OpenSuse for the 4 seems to be lacking Ethernet support.

My goal is to have the Raspberry provide PXE booting for imaging and storage for some bundle content.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Satellite

I highly doubt any part of the ZCM code can run on an ARM cpu. You don't have sources to compile...

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Concur, ARM would be a real issue.......

If looking for Skunkworks Projects, there are ways to make have both of those functions serviced by a simple SAMBA share, which apparently is something the Rasbery PI can do.

#1 - Content can be pulled from a SAMBA Share instead of over HTTP if defined in the location rules.  The tricky part is getting it to the SAMBA Share.  Some customers have built a 'Remote Location' satellite in their data center and replicated the content from there to remote "Samba servers" using various MS Share Synch Tools.  AFAIK, MF has only tested with the Samba server being on the SAT itself but some customers have done the above on their own.

#2 - If you use ZCM's support for Scripted WinPE, it would be partially feasible.  You would still pull the WinPE image down from a remote location, but the script could end up pulling from your local share with some built-in logic.

Honestly, it's likely more effort than it's worth.....I'd just grab an older business class refurb....which can often be had for next to nothing. 

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@CRAIGDWILSON wrote:

Concur, ARM would be a real issue.......

Honestly, it's likely more effort than it's worth.....I'd just grab an older business class refurb....which can often be had for next to nothing. 

Or just use one of the many happily available x86 Mini PCs like Atomic PI instead. Or a NUC. What's really important is GB Lan, either direct on board or via USB3. 

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Buster1234 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't thinking about it being ARM, just trying to get a compatible OS on there...the other cheap options mentioned look like the way I need to go.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.