Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: PCs wont start after Agent Deployment

I would recommend an SR if possible based on this and the other thread
in which you posted.

If you create an SR, send the details to craig_d_wilson at yahoo.

On 3/30/2012 11:06 AM, stesjo wrote:
>
> Have a customer running ZAM.
>
> Have made some test to deploy to Win7 and XP, works fine.
> Using a deployment-task in ZCC.
> Yesterday we deployed to a larger group of PCs.
> Most of them worked fine. 4-5 of the 70 pc needed a restart, the others
> just installed fine, and registered.
>
> But...
> Two of them, worked fine yesterday after deployment, but when
> rebooting, one yesterday, and one today, they wont start.
> Both Win 7 -machines.
> When booting it says: �Launch startup repair� or �Start windows
> normally�. Chosing repair, it tries to repair and come back to same
> meny, chosing Start Normally it tries to start, but gets a black screen
> with a white marker in upper left corner, and stays so untill you power
> off...
> Customer tried to run HP Recovery Disk to reinstall machine, but it
> wont work either...
> So... Did the agent write something to some startsector?
>
> Machines are HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF, and HP Z210 Workstation. Both of
> them came in fine in ZCC.
>
> Anyone that have any ideas?
> /Stefan
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
stesjo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok, Craig.
Will do so.
/Stefan
0 Likes
coreyhansen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Was there a resolution to this problem? I have over 200 HP Z210 Workstations I would like to start deploying but only the stock image will take the agent. A fresh build with Windows 7 SP1 and all the HP drivers off the website throws the errors you describe.

Thanks

craig_wilson;2186451 wrote:
I would recommend an SR if possible based on this and the other thread
in which you give.

If you create an SR, send the details to craig_d_wilson at yahoo.

On 3/30/2012 11:06 AM, stesjo wrote:
>
> Have a customer running ZAM.
>
> Have made some test to deploy to Win7 and XP, works fine.
> Using a deployment-task in ZCC.
> Yesterday we deployed to a larger group of PCs.
> Most of them worked fine. 4-5 of the 70 pc needed a restart, the others
> just installed fine, and registered.
>
> But...
> Two of them, worked fine yesterday after deployment, but when
> rebooting, one yesterday, and one today, they wont start.
> Both Win 7 -machines.
> When booting it says: �Launch startup repair� or �Start windows
> normally�. Chosing repair, it tries to repair and come back to same
> meny, chosing Start Normally it tries to start, but gets a black screen
> with a white marker in upper left corner, and stays so untill you power
> off...
> Customer tried to run HP Recovery Disk to reinstall machine, but it
> wont work either...
> So... Did the agent write something to some startsector?
>
> Machines are HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF, and HP Z210 Workstation. Both of
> them came in fine in ZCC.
>
> Anyone that have any ideas?
> /Stefan
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

coreyhansen;2208459 wrote:
Was there a resolution to this problem? I have over 200 HP Z210 Workstations I would like to start deploying but only the stock image will take the agent. A fresh build with Windows 7 SP1 and all the HP drivers off the website throws the errors you describe.

Thanks

Which version of the ZCM agent have you installed?
Also curious if you have installed any specific tools and drivers for the drives when reinstalling Win7.

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

magic31;2208504 wrote:
Which version of the ZCM agent have you installed?
Also curious if you have installed any specific tools and drivers for the drives when reinstalling Win7.

-Willem

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the slow response, I've opened an SR on this and have been working furiously to try to find an answer. I honestly forgot I had posted here(Friday memory lapse), and found the post through a Google search!

We have tried 11.1, 11.2, and the latest version of the ZCM(SP1?) without results. Also, we separated the ZESM drivers out and installed them first with a successful reboot, but the the ZCM install yields a BSOD: fvevol.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA STOP: 0x050. No memory dump can be generated from this crash for some reason. It's driving me crazy, but I just can't seem to get one to generate. Any cool secrets on getting one?

I've tried several driver configurations with the same failure. I've tried just a vanilla Win7 x64 install with no HP drivers, all the HP drivers, and Intel drivers straight from them. Most recently I found that the SATA controller driver I was using was different from the stock image(which works). Changing that didn't change anything. The stock image will take the ZCM install, but I fear that whatever is causing the issue will randomly rear it's head right after I deploy it. Doesn't make sense that I can't use my own image.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

coreyhansen;2211153 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the slow response, I've opened an SR on this and have been working furiously to try to find an answer. I honestly forgot I had posted here(Friday memory lapse), and found the post through a Google search!

We have tried 11.1, 11.2, and the latest version of the ZCM(SP1?) without results. Also, we separated the ZESM drivers out and installed them first with a successful reboot, but the the ZCM install yields a BSOD: fvevol.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA STOP: 0x050. No memory dump can be generated from this crash for some reason. It's driving me crazy, but I just can't seem to get one to generate. Any cool secrets on getting one?

I've tried several driver configurations with the same failure. I've tried just a vanilla Win7 x64 install with no HP drivers, all the HP drivers, and Intel drivers straight from them. Most recently I found that the SATA controller driver I was using was different from the stock image(which works). Changing that didn't change anything. The stock image will take the ZCM install, but I fear that whatever is causing the issue will randomly rear it's head right after I deploy it. Doesn't make sense that I can't use my own image.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Bump
Please Help
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

coreyhansen;2212080 wrote:
Bump
Please Help

Sorry, not too substantial ideas here. Some thoughts;

- Going back to the basics... Is there any customization that has been done to the Windows installation/configuration or some change/addition of hardware that might be causing this? The memory in the PC's, for example, are as originally shipped by HP?
- Also check you MBR partition layout to see if it is consistent and no other issues on disk level are apparent (have you tried the Windows repair options using the installation disk?).
- Double check there is nothing going on due to virus infections or other.

Any progress on your SR and/or any clues/discrepancies with these failing setups that you already have spotted?

Next to the SR you have open with Novell, you might also want to consider opening one with Microsoft/HP.

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2212124 wrote:
Sorry, not too substantial ideas here. Some thoughts;

- Going back to the basics... Is there any customization that has been done to the Windows installation/configuration or some change/addition of hardware that might be causing this? The memory in the PC's, for example, are as originally shipped by HP?
- Also check you MBR partition layout to see if it is consistent and no other issues on disk level are apparent (have you tried the Windows repair options using the installation disk?).

Any progress on your SR and/or any clues/discrepancies with these failing setups that you already have spotted?

Next to the SR you have open with Novell, you might also want to consider opening one with Microsoft/HP.

-Willem

One more thing... As you mention the stock image seems to work without these issues. Have you compared driver versions on the stock vs your own Win7 install?

Also, looking at the HP support site there is a recent BIOS that includes updates related to disk controller : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=5053190&swItem=wk-107058-1&prodNameId=5053192&swEnvOID=4053&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0
If not already applied, have a go with that?

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

magic31 wrote:

Thanks for the response. There hasn't been any customization to the Win7 x64 SP1 disc. I like to make sure I can get it to work prior to building an unattended disc or anything like that. The hardware is also stock from HP. I have duplicated this issue across 5 identical machines, so it has to do with this build. We don't have issues with other machines.

magic33 wrote:

I'm not sure what you would have me check. Are there tools I can leverage to work with the MBR? I haven't tried Windows repair from the disc, just startup repair after the failure. What should I do with the Windows repair?

magic33 wrote:

As these are fresh builds on machines straight out of the box, I should hope we don't have this problem.

magic31;2212127 wrote:
One more thing... As you mention the stock image seems to work without these issues. Have you compared driver versions on the stock vs your own Win7 install?

Also, looking at the HP support site there is a recent BIOS that includes updates related to disk controller : HP Z210 Small Form Factor Workstation -  HP Z210 Series Workstations System BIOS - HP Business Support Center
If not already applied, have a go with that?

-Willem

Novell has gone through the MSInfo reports from both and found that the Intel SATA Controller driver was different. Changing that didn't seem to change anything though. I have also tried the BIOS update, but with so many weird combinations of different fixes I've tried I'm not sure that I've tried BIOS update + new SATA driver. I will give that a go.

magic33 wrote:

Most of what we've done on the SR end has already been listed in my previous posts. I've mostly been bounced around to different departments with a lot of shrugged shoulders. I just now got another engineer on the line today so we will see if we can make some more progress. I have contacted HP and have been assigned a tech, but I believe I'm in the queue. Microsoft won't even talk to us without a credit card number so I've been loathe to deal with them.

Thanks again for your help. I will keep this thread updated.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

coreyhansen;2212314 wrote:
I'm not sure what you would have me check. Are there tools I can leverage to work with the MBR?

Well, mainly check if the partition layout is correct (no overlapping and/or incorrect start/end sectors). A tool like Parted or BootIt can be used to check this.

On the base image you've created, did you remove all prior partitions before choosing to install? Could it be something got messed up in the layout at primary install?

With the Windows repair you could run a chkdisk and see if that shows real issues on disk.

Those are the things I'd try to double check with such issues. It is very strange indeed that the stock image does not give you these headaches. 😕

You might want to try a vanilla reinstall using a new/untouched/fully cleared disk taken from another (brand) system.

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

magic31;2212368 wrote:
Well, mainly check if the partition layout is correct (no overlapping and/or incorrect start/end sectors). A tool like Parted or BootIt can be used to check this.

On the base image you've created, did you remove all prior partitions before choosing to install? Could it be something got messed up in the layout at primary install?

With the Windows repair you could run a chkdisk and see if that shows real issues on disk.

Those are the things I'd try to double check with such issues. It is very strange indeed that the stock image does not give you these headaches. 😕

You might want to try a vanilla reinstall using a new/untouched/fully cleared disk taken from another (brand) system.

-Willem

I did remove all prior partitions before installing Windows. Chkdsk came back clean and GParted doesn't show any problems. The disc I'm using is already untouched, and I've tried building from another disc already with no success.

I'm starting to worry that this might not get resolved in a timely manner. I have too many groups all working on the issue telling me they don't know. 😞
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Also, I've tried setting the SATA Emulation setting int he BIOS to both AHCI and IDE without result.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Looks like the BIOS + SATA driver had been tried already but I did it anyway. No joy.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

So after 3 months and countless hours of work we've finally discovered the problem. I ended up sending a machine to HP to have them look at it and they found that it had a GPT file system on it. Apparently the ZCM agent is not compatible with UEFI, and therefore exhibits the symptoms I've described.

Thanks to those who attempted to assist me.
0 Likes
mrichter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

coreyhansen;2223494 wrote:
So after 3 months and countless hours of work we've finally discovered the problem. I ended up sending a machine to HP to have them look at it and they found that it had a GPT file system on it. Apparently the ZCM agent is not compatible with UEFI, and therefore exhibits the symptoms I've described.

Thanks to those who attempted to assist me.

Thank you so much for this posting!

I've the same problem with our HP Elite 8200 workstations and i can't find any information in novell knowledgebase.
I only wish I had read this post before I created the image for the workstations 😞

Thank you again!

Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.