Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
kmaule Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Reboot Action hangs PC

Hi there,
We're using ZCM 10.3.1 and have experienced a hang when the Reboot/Shutdown Install action kicks in. Just leaves a black screen with the arrow on XP sp3. We've set the Time to Wait for Shutdown to "-1" so we don't inadvertently reboot anyone's PC but this should not be the issue.

Anyone else?
Cheers,
Kirk
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Michael_Fleming Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reboot Action hangs PC

kmaule;2021473 wrote:
Hi there,
We're using ZCM 10.3.1 and have experienced a hang when the Reboot/Shutdown Install action kicks in. Just leaves a black screen with the arrow on XP sp3. We've set the Time to Wait for Shutdown to "-1" so we don't inadvertently reboot anyone's PC but this should not be the issue.

Anyone else?
Cheers,
Kirk

What happens if you create a bundle script to reboot using shutdown.exe? Do you get the same behaviour?
0 Likes
Highlighted
chasb73 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We get this too. Any suggestions?
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Same here. I've been doing it as a directive bundle. There was a thread on this a while ago - no solution as I remember.
Cheers
0 Likes
patrick_reeder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We started getting this behavior after rolling out the 10.3.1 update. What I can say is that it only hangs if a user is left logged in when our shutdown bundle executes. Little more information on the sutdown bundle:

Install action set to install always.
Runs a Shutdown Action w/ prompt that allows the user to cancel. Shutdown timeout is set to 300 seconds (5 minutes).

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm on zcm 10.3.0a but i have never seen a working install - reboot action.
The user will get a prompt with you own text as example "This application needs a reboot, save your files and click Yes".
It doesn't matter which option the user is chosen it is going further with the launch actions... and sometimes nothing is working anymore because machine is currently shutting down messages... but hangs..

So i'm not satisfied with the reboot actions
0 Likes
patrick_reeder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun was able to duplicate the issue in the test lab:

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-bundles/425551-reboot-bundel.html

He is raising a bug incident for us all that are having this issue.

- Patrick

floort;2044336 wrote:
I'm on zcm 10.3.0a but i have never seen a working install - reboot action.
The user will get a prompt with you own text as example "This application needs a reboot, save your files and click Yes".
It doesn't matter which option the user is chosen it is going further with the launch actions... and sometimes nothing is working anymore because machine is currently shutting down messages... but hangs..

So i'm not satisfied with the reboot actions

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.