Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Hi Eric,

Can you post the anti-virus exclusion you have made. Maybe it can help someone else.

Thank You

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Along those lines, I would suggest removing AV as a test and if that helps
significantly we can investigate from there.
But, yes, posting those would be useful.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"mdallair" <mdallair@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:mdallair.3lwnvb@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Can you post the anti-virus exclusion you have made. Maybe it can help
> someone else.
>
> Thank You
>
> Martin Dallaire
>
>
> --
> mdallair
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> mdallair's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3076
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=352713
>



0 Likes
donasutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Symantec AV corp being removed DOES infact, help. Good call. LightSpeed AV doesn't seem to mess with ZENAgent as much as Symantec AV Corp did.

Don
0 Likes
andystewartSL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Still on 10.0.3.2 here, but our AV was rolled out to all 800+ clients (CA eTrust) with the cache folder and ZenworksWindowsService in as exceptions.
0 Likes
Highlighted
baltazb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Does Novell have an official resolution for this problem? My organization has about 500 machines deployed iand we are also experiencing slow logins. It's pretty frustrating given that we have taken the time to set everything up according to product documentation and still end up with a problem that can't even be solved by the developer. I have read through this post and have taken the suggestions inot consideration, but it would be nice if Novell addressed officially addressed the issue.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Have you opened a Service Request?
This is not the place to see official Novell help, just the help of other
folks.

There could be many causes of your slowness.
Is your ZCM server powerful enough? What Type of Database are you running?
How often are you running Maintenance and what type?
What is your patch level?
Is the Slowness tied to GPOs? Applications Being Delivered? Conflicts with
GPOs? What Level of Overhead vs No Agent? How Powerful of a Workstation?
What Client OS? Is Anti-Virus Getting in the way? etc.. etc.. etc...



"baltazb" <baltazb@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:baltazb.3mszan@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Does Novell have an official resolution for this problem? My
> organization has about 500 machines deployed iand we are also
> experiencing slow logins. It's pretty frustrating given that we have
> taken the time to set everything up according to product documentation
> and still end up with a problem that can't even be solved by the
> developer. I have read through this post and have taken the suggestions
> inot consideration, but it would be nice if Novell addressed officially
> addressed the issue.
>
>
> --
> baltazb
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> baltazb's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=17849
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=352713
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Regarding slow login times

Good news!
I received 2 patches today that resolved our issues with slow logins.
These patches reduced login time by 18-23 sec on our workstations.

Thomas
0 Likes
jchipman
New Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Wondering what the patches include. Also will they be in the 10.1.3 released that is supposed to "possibly" come out this week
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Regarding slow login times

jchipman;1736369 wrote:
Wondering what the patches include. Also will they be in the 10.1.3 released that is supposed to "possibly" come out this week


It contains fixes for Windows Group Policy module and Temp Directories Cleanup. This fix will not be available in 10.1.3 😞

But you could probably get these fixes from Novell support, don't know if I am allowed to distribute these dll's, sorry.

Thomas
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

Thsundel,

> don't know
> if I am allowed to distribute these dll's, sorry.
>

we would ask you not to - that way we can keep track of who's got them,
so if there's a problem we discover down the line, we can tell you
about it...

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Regarding slow login times

spond;1736394 wrote:
Thsundel,

> don't know
> if I am allowed to distribute these dll's, sorry.
>

we would ask you not to - that way we can keep track of who's got them,
so if there's a problem we discover down the line, we can tell you
about it...

--

Shaun Pond


Okay, I'll keep them to my self then.

Thomas
0 Likes
rvhskent Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

thsundel;1736402 wrote:
Okay, I'll keep them to my self then.

Thomas


i always assume that the patch files they send while I'm working on a SR with them could potentially be coded specifically for my environment also, so i have to assume that sharing them could hurt someone elses system.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

It's extremely rare that they would be coded for your environment, or you
would need custom patches after each and every update process.
However, Novell does not want them shared.

However, such patches can sometimes be obtained by a Sysop for a poster.
It often depends on the patch and the how close to a completed state its in.

"rvhskent" <rvhskent@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:rvhskent.3nrs2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> thsundel;1736402 Wrote:
>> Okay, I'll keep them to my self then.
>>
>> Thomas

>
> i always assume that the patch files they send while I'm working on a
> SR with them could potentially be coded specifically for my environment
> also, so i have to assume that sharing them could hurt someone elses
> system.
>
>
> --
> rvhskent
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> rvhskent's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3298
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=352713
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

And the Reason the Files need to come from Novell is because that way Novell
can communicate with the folks who get the patch.

Novell may need to send further updates.
Novell may need to alert the customer to PULL the test file because of a
serious issue.
Novell may need to alert the customer to Update related issues since Notes
about "Test Files" would not be included in General TID or Readmes.

"Craig Wilson" <craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:yeGml.10465$5N1.3998@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> It's extremely rare that they would be coded for your environment, or you
> would need custom patches after each and every update process.
> However, Novell does not want them shared.
>
> However, such patches can sometimes be obtained by a Sysop for a poster.
> It often depends on the patch and the how close to a completed state its
> in.
>
> "rvhskent" <rvhskent@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
> news:rvhskent.3nrs2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>>
>> thsundel;1736402 Wrote:
>>> Okay, I'll keep them to my self then.
>>>
>>> Thomas

>>
>> i always assume that the patch files they send while I'm working on a
>> SR with them could potentially be coded specifically for my environment
>> also, so i have to assume that sharing them could hurt someone elses
>> system.
>>
>>
>> --
>> rvhskent
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> rvhskent's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3298
>> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=352713
>>

>
>



0 Likes
ScanDan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Regarding slow login times

I've found some timeouts in our nwgina.log (attachment) and zenlgn.log
The timeouts are red marked.

ZenLng.log


[ZENLGN-29C-2A0] Log file opened - 02MAR2009 11:58:26.906 - max log size 1048576KB (0x00100000KB, 1024MB)

ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:609] ZenLgnLoginUI entered
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] It would appear that we have been called from the Winlogon process (NWGina.dll)
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] WTSLoadDLL called!
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] WTSLoadDLL returning
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] RegQueryValueEx on value DisablePassiveModeLogin Failed: 2
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] CheckIfLoginAllowed Entered
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] Checking if this machine is an NT Server.
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] Microsoft Windows XP ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] Professional
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:968] CheckIfLoginAllowed returning TRUE
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:26:984] IsWorkstationConnected entered
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:28:984] IsWorkstationConnected returning 0
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:28:984] Calling ZENGetAssociatedRealmNames
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:29:500] ZENGetAssociatedRealmNames returned
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:29:500] Found Realm : DOMAIN
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:29:500] We found 1 realm(s).
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:29:500] Calling ZENIsServerAvailable
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:32:265] Returned from ZENIsServerAvavilable
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:32:265] LgnGetPassiveLoginRetryParameters entered
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:32:265] *pdwRetryCount = 0
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:32:265] *pdwRetryInterval = 15000
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:32:265] ZenLgnLogin entered
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:32:265] About to call ZENLogin in agent service
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] Returned from calling ZENLogin in agent service

ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] LgnSetZenUsernameHistory
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] LgnSetRealmNameHistory
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] CacheUsersZenName Entered
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] CacheUsersZenName returning: 0
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] ZenLgnLogin returning 0
ZENLGN [29C-2A0] [11:58:53:062] ZenLgnLoginUI exiting: 0

_______________

So I see that the second timeout in nwgina.log is where the zenlng.log starts with logging. But what is the matter for this timeouts?

Scandan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.