Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1272 views

SUSE 10 -xen

Sorry- Basically what I am asking is are there any limitations to the Number
of xen I can put on one server using SUSE 10

Thanks

Garrett


Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SUSE 10 -xen

Garrett Nunan,

> Sorry- Basically what I am asking is are there any limitations to the
> Number of xen I can put on one server using SUSE 10


Sorry, that I do not know, but as long as you have memory, I would
think that with a server running 16gb of RAM quad processor, 20 to 40
guests would be the limit.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SUSE 10 -xen

Thanks -

I also have a question on the possibility of the IO to the SAN and whether
that would present a bottle neck -

When you say 20 to 40 is this assessment based on 512mb of Ram per Xen or
are ther other factors which contribute to the limitations?

Thanks again

"Jared Jennings" <jaredjennings@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:V1q5j.5140$k06.2692@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Garrett Nunan,
>
>> Sorry- Basically what I am asking is are there any limitations to the
>> Number of xen I can put on one server using SUSE 10

>
> Sorry, that I do not know, but as long as you have memory, I would
> think that with a server running 16gb of RAM quad processor, 20 to 40
> guests would be the limit.
>
> --
> Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
> Novell Support Forums Sysop
> My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
> http://jaredjennings.org



0 Likes
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SUSE 10 -xen

Garrett Nunan,

> When you say 20 to 40 is this assessment based on 512mb of Ram per
> Xen or are ther other factors which contribute to the limitations?


Yes, based on ram. Although the RAM is shared between guests. So you do
not have to actually allocate 512 and really I specify that each guest
has 1024, but yet it's shared around.

Generally, the SAN is not a bottle-neck. vm's are not meant to be DB
servers, which use the SAN heavily. I would only use the guests for
light application type stuff and maybe some simple DB stuff. Although,
this does not always hold true. I have several customers running
iFolder on guests and it runs fine.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SUSE 10 -xen

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 05:41:19 GMT, Garrett Nunan wrote:

> When you say 20 to 40 is this assessment based on 512mb of Ram per Xen or
> are ther other factors which contribute to the limitations?


hmm wonder why this is in zcm 10 server install.. it should be in
sles.virtualization..

whatever... 20 to 40 is based on the average you can see on virtualization
servers with around 16 to 32 GB ram.. AND average normal servers.. which
would be telephone servers, license servers, etc.. servers which don't use
LOTs of memory, cpu, nic or hd io..

in general you can say for 1 core you count 4 gb of ram.. which average
usage you can run 5 to 10 machines on a box.. times 4 = 16gb and 4 cores =
20 to 40..

just rough figures and I have customers running 2 vms on a dual quad with
64 gb ram.. and that system is running full power.. so ymmv
--


Marcus Breiden

If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail
address.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.didas.de
0 Likes
jaredljennings Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SUSE 10 -xen

Marcus Breiden,

> just rough figures and I have customers running 2 vms on a dual quad
> with 64 gb ram.. and that system is running full power.. so ymmv
> --


Yet, I wonder if there is a code-level limit to the amount of XEN
guests.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.