Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Safe to delete old tftp-*.zip files?

Jump to solution

As our content repo volumes are nearly out of disk space, I'm going in looking to identify what we can remove to free up space, as a first step before trying to throw more storage resources at the problem. (We currently run ZENworks 11.4.3, and are on the very edge of upgrading to 2017u4 with a possible subsequent upgrade to the latest release, which is why I'm reviewing our storage situation.)

One of the things I've encountered is that %ZENWORKS_HOME%\work\content-repo\tmp\imaging\ on our first primary contains (among other things) over 500 files named as 'tftp-[32-digit base-16 string]-[13-digit base-10 number].zip', totaling over 1GB, timestamped at various dates in 2011. If memory serves, that would be the year this primary server was first installed.

There are also a number of other files with this pattern from more recent years, and one named 'ntfsdriver-[13-digit base-10 number].zip', totaling less than 1MB combined.

Are these files important to keep around, or can they be safely deleted? The fact that this is under a directory named 'tmp' would seem to imply the latter, but I don't want to take any chances, and I haven't found anything documenting the function and purpose of these files or this directory in any meaningful way.

Any other tips on how to identify what can be safely deleted from the content repo (whether by direct filesystem access, or by deleting e.g. bundles from within ZCC) would also be appreciated. I've looked for a way to report bundles by size, but although you can get a size calculation on any given bundle from within ZCC, I haven't found any way to get such information on a more bulk basis.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Safe to delete old tftp-*.zip files?

Jump to solution

Hello,

First by reading through this it seems you are still running 11.4.3
For your information, in 2017 Update 4 there has been an issue fixed to handle cleanup correctly of orphaned TFTP content

Next in regards to old system update.
Presuming you run a Linux, the system update content is in /var/opt/novell/zenworks/content-repo/system-update/<UPDATE GUID>
You can also check the DB table zSystemUpdateEx to see which are in the system

For example if you are on 11.4.3, and 11.4.2 update is still in the system (update GUID should be 5011040200fc50000000002016051914 ) and no devices need this anymore, since any device on 11.4.0 for example will update to 11.4.3 and not to 11.4.2... then you can delete 11.4.2 using zman sudu 5011040200fc50000000002016051914

Next to System Update content you also have so called superceded files, to check if these can be cleaned up check this TID https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7012095

Finally to find large bundles, try using the following query on the DB:
=======================================
SELECT ZO.Name AS 'Object Name', ZO.Path AS 'Path in ZCC', SUM(DISTINCT ZC.PackagedSize)/1048576 AS 'Compressed Size in MB', SUM(DISTINCT ZC.UnpackagedSize)/1048576 AS 'Uncompressed Size in MB', ZD.Hostname AS 'Content Server', ZCS.SyncState AS 'Content Sync State'
FROM zZENObject ZO inner join zLinkedObject ZL
ON ZO.ZUID=ZL.ContainingObjectUID inner join zContent ZC
ON ZC.ZUID=ZL.ContentUID inner join zContentSyncState ZCS
ON ZCS.ContentUID=ZL.ContentUID inner join zDevice ZD
ON ZCS.ServerUID=ZD.ZUID
GROUP BY ZO.Name, Zo.Path, Hostname, SyncState
ORDER BY 'Compressed Size in MB' DESC;

If you are indeed still running 11.4.3 I would highly suggest to consider upgrading towards ZENworks 2020 (primaries need to go through ZENworks 2017 and then upgrade to ZENworks 2020)

Regards,
Johan

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, it should be safe.

"zman sudu" can be used to delete old System Updates that may have been applied to the server.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Note: You can also go through your bundles and delete old versions.  This may allow content from the Content-Repo to cleanup over night.

(Later Versions contain a setting to allow only a certain number of old versions to be retained.)

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
I know that I can delete old bundles and old versions of current bundles. My problem is with identifying which bundles are taking up space; I've looked at quite a few, and even applying what knowledge I have about which ones are likely to be larger, I haven't managed to identify more than a handful which seem to be of any significant size.

Are there any meaningful ways to get a listing of bundles by how much space they take up in the content repo, in 11.4.3?

I used to have query-level access to our external ZENworks database server, and can probably get it back if necessary.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
I'm only mostly sure I can rely on your response, since as far as I can tell there aren't any system updates involved in what my question was discussing.

I would be more comfortable with deleting these tftp-*-*.zip (or at least moving them out of the way, to other storage) if I knew what they were for, what parts of the system use these files in this directory and how, and how to tell after the fact whether those parts of the system are still functioning.

Separately in regard to system updates: I do have a number of older system updates still present, taking up several gigabytes of space - but since none of the ones newer than the oldest have managed to reach a "baselined' status, and there seem to be some unclear possible dependencies among some of the newest, I'm hesitant to start deleting the older ones. I've considered using a SR to get someone to advise and assist with space-cleanup analysis efforts (including assessing the state of older system updates) directly, but I'm not sure how fruitful that would be.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello,

First by reading through this it seems you are still running 11.4.3
For your information, in 2017 Update 4 there has been an issue fixed to handle cleanup correctly of orphaned TFTP content

Presuming you run a Linux, the system update content is in /var/opt/novell/zenworks/content-repo/system-update/<UPDATE GUID>
You can also check the DB table zSystemUpdateEx to see which are in the system

For example if you are on 11.4.3, and 11.4.2 update is still in the system (update GUID should be 5011040200fc50000000002016051914 ) and no devices need this anymore, since any device on 11.4.0 for example will update to 11.4.3 and not to 11.4.2... then you can delete 11.4.2 using zman sudu 5011040200fc50000000002016051914

Next to System Update content you also have so called superceded files, to check if these can be cleaned up check this TID https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7012095

SELECT ZO.Name AS 'Object Name', ZO.Path AS 'Path in ZCC', SUM(DISTINCT ZC.PackagedSize)/1048576 AS 'Compressed Size in MB', SUM(DISTINCT ZC.UnpackagedSize)/1048576 AS 'Uncompressed Size in MB', ZD.Hostname AS 'Content Server', ZCS.SyncState AS 'Content Sync State'
FROM zZENObject ZO inner join zLinkedObject ZL
ON ZO.ZUID=ZL.ContainingObjectUID inner join zContent ZC
ON ZC.ZUID=ZL.ContentUID inner join zContentSyncState ZCS
ON ZCS.ContentUID=ZL.ContentUID inner join zDevice ZD
ON ZCS.ServerUID=ZD.ZUID
GROUP BY ZO.Name, Zo.Path, Hostname, SyncState
ORDER BY 'Compressed Size in MB' DESC;

If you are indeed still running 11.4.3 I would highly suggest to consider upgrading towards ZENworks 2020 (primaries need to go through ZENworks 2017 and then upgrade to ZENworks 2020)

Regards,
Johan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Yes - as I indicated in the first paragraph of my initial post, we are on the very edge of upgrading to 2017u4 along that path, that being why I am reviewing storage in the first place. If other people's schedules line up, we may go forward with that upgrade as soon as this weekend.

Presuming you run a Linux,

Nope - our ZENworks primary servers are on Windows, specifically Windows Server 2012, upgraded recently with an eye towards upgrading from 11.4.3 to 2017u4 (which supports newer Windows Server OS versions).

That said, I do know where to find the system-update content in the filesystem. My problem is with knowing which older system updates are safe to delete.

The system updates which I have in the history are, from oldest to newest:

10.2. (This is ancient; I keep it around only because it is the most recent one which has actually achieved Baselined status. We are never going to want to deploy it again, for itself, but I don't know whether it's important for anything else.)

11.1a. (This is nearly as ancient, but is not yet marked baselined; I don't remember exactly why I've chosen to keep it around, but there was originally a reason.)

The Post 11SP4 Update Prereq. (Not baselined. I keep this around because it's stated as being an essential prerequisite of deploying 11.4.3 over top of 11.4 on primary servers, and I believe I recall that this is the way we would have to install a new 11.4.3 primary if we needed to do so.)

11.4.3 itself. (Not baselined, although it should be, as far as determining what should be auto-pushed if necessary goes. I keep this around because it's the current version on the primary servers.)

An automatically-generated update from when we reminted the internal certificate authority, this past summer. (I keep this around because we're still not sure everything's been in contact and received the update; it doesn't help that when a new machine which already has the new CA configured gets brought into the zone, it shows up as Pending under this update and never loses that status, so I can't be sure which machines really do still need this.)

All of our devices are either on 11.4.3, or on 11.3.x or older.

Are any of the above clearly 100% safe to delete?

Next to System Update content you also have so called superceded files

Yes, I'm aware of those, and of the TID you linked to; I have aleady deleted them as much as seems safe.

Thanks. That should be helpful; I'll see about getting into position to be able to run it.

For clarity: does this report the size for an entire bundle, or only for a specific bundle version? As it's possible to delete older versions separately, it might be valuable to be able to distinguish size on that level, but at the least I would need to know which of the two this is telling me.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Great to hear that an upgrade is coming soon, as Craig also already stated, in ZENworks 2020 there is a new feature that allows you to configure automatic deletion of older bundle versions, for example at zone level you configure to keep the last 5 versions of a bundle.
At another specific bundle folder you specify to keep all older versions, and at a very specific bundle you specify to not keep any older version.

As to which updates you can delete, you can safely delete 10.2, 11.1a, etc
They are of no use anymore.

Baselined or not is not really important. When an update is baselined it means that ALL devices in the zone are at that patch level.
So let's say you update to 2017 Update 4, you update all primaries, all satellites, and all workstations, and most importantly they all report back that they are updated, then an update will be baselined.
But even when there is just one device which is not updated (e.g. still on 11.4.3) the update will not be baselined, which in itself is still OK, so no problem if an update is baselined or not (in support I don't often see baselined updates..)
Note that if an update is baselined, let's use 2017 Update 4 as example again, and you connect a device to the zone with an older agent (because of base image with old agent for example) then it will automatically update to 2017 Update 4, as it is baselined in the zone.

The update 11.4.3 you can keep if you still need to update agent to 11.4.3 (do so before upgrading to 2017)
The prereq update you can keep if you still plan to add a primary before updating, which I would not recommend, better to do so after upgrading.

Another note, if you ever delete an update you can simply re-import it using the ZIP file from the download site and import it using the command "zman sui" on a primary server.
Obviously you cannot import older updates anymore, so when on 2017 Update 4 you cannot import 11.4.3 system update anymore... as there is no sense in doing so as it is superseded by the current zone level.

On the DB query, yes it will show bundles with version as well, e.g. Test Bundle@version 1 under the name column.
It can be that the query output shows the same content size for several versions, that will happen if the content has not changed between versions.

content example.jpg

As seen in the attached screenshot where Google Chrome shows same content size for all versions.
I made a change to the bundle, but not to the actual content.
If I now delete version 0 of this bundle it will actually not free up 30MB, since the content is still used by the actual published version (we use aliased content and never store duplicate content in the system)

Sorry turned out to be a long story again 🙂
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Johan

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
FWIW, I did wind up moving most of these files out of the way on the assurance of this post; I selected the other as the answer because the detail it provided about the larger freeing-up-disk-space problem was proportionally much more useful, but this response was the most direct answer to the question asked and seems to have been correct, even if it wasn't particularly detailed or explanatory. If I could mark multiple answers, I would mark this as such as well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Other places to look at for "diskspace-eaters" in older ZCM version include

- /var/opt/novell/log/zenworks/ZENServer

sometimes stuff was summing up here referencing a java pid, ending with "hprof"

- /opt/novell/zenworks/bin/tmp

filenames would start with "file". IIRC this was related to ZPM subscription downloads and could also we encountered in environments where ZPM wasn't used at all

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
Yeah, I read the discussions about those, and I already cleaned up one multi-gigabyte *.hprof file (from late February) on each primary.

So far I haven't found any Windows equivalent of /opt/novell/zenworks/bin/tmp/, and I don't find any files named matching the pattern from that directory anywhere under my %ZENWORKS_HOME% install root.

It would be convenient if I could find a way of triggering the overnight deleted-bundle-files-cleanup process on demand, rather than having to wait overnight for it to happen, but currently the need to wait isn't an intolerable obstacle.

Thanks for the suggestions, even if neither wound up being anything I didn't already know.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.