Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Screen goes black on older laptops after applying August Upd

We are running 11.2.1. Applied the August Imaging Update. Now one of our older model laptops (Latitude D630) gets part way through the boot process and the screen goes black.

I noticed on the new models that the resolution has been increased and I am assuming that is the issue, but Novell support doesn't think so. I have an open SR, but just thought I would post.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Screen goes black on older laptops after applying August

Hello Eric,

whe have the same problems on Dell Latitude E6410 and on the E6430 we have an flickering screen. I have open an SR too. I have found that the August Imaging Driver Update have changed the Linux Kernel to 3.0. I have test this with Ubuntu Boot CD 11.10 that use the Linux Kernel 3.0 too and i have the same result. When i use the ubuntu boot cd 12.4.1 that have a Linux Kernel 3.2 all it´s fine.

Best Regards

Martin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Eric,

i have found a workaround for this problem. Edit the config file /srv/tftp/z_auto.cfg and/or z_main.cfg and add to the end by the $KERNEL_PARMS the command nomodeset

Here my config

ZENWORKSAPPEND 1
DEFAULT imaging
LABEL imaging
kernel boot\linux
append 5 initrd=boot\initrd mode=2 rootimage=/root install=tftp://$PXESERVER/boot splash=silent vga=0x314 tftptimeout=50 $KERNEL_PARMS nomodeset

I hope this help you.

Best Regards

Martin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've been having this same issue on Compaq 6710b laptops. I created a boot CD and about 50% of the time I can get to the bash prompt, the other half it goes black and I have to force shut down and try again. It seems to happen as udev is starting up.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

EHGNB

Cheers for the tip worked a treat 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is still an issue for us with the November update, we added nomodeset to PXE Kernel Boot Parameters in ZCC as a workaround
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Screen goes black on older laptops after applying August Upd

Jdofaz,

yes, the nomodeset stuff is still being worked on, we dont' want to
include it by default until we're sure it doesn't break anything

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.