Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server migration to new hardware

HI

I'm looking to migrate 2 of my zcm servers on to new hardware.

Of which I have 3

How do I go about preforming a backup and then restoring?

I'm hoping to replicate what I have at the moment just on newer hardware O/s etc etc

I had a quick look at the disaster recovery but it only seems to go into detail if you have one server

Thanks

john
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi

I did 12 primary servers last year much like yourself, upgraded them from Server 2003 -> Server 2008 R2, but was using the same hardware. So re-install of the OS but you would have similar process for it.

Big one is if one of those servers is the CA, then make sure you back that up! Backup content repo otherwise you will need to wait for a sync to happen between the primaries which can take some time depending on the links ?

Check out this doc and section 2.2 - http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/pdfdoc/zen11_sys_disaster_recovery/zen11_sys_disaster_recovery.pdf

Also really useful is the zman zsb command, for some reason not in the DR doc ???? This is used if your calling the server the same name. I have folder with all my ZEN servers in, so when registering it goes to the root of the server folder. This will make it swap over otherwise you end up with multiple servers with the same name.

zenserver-backup (zsb) (file path)
Backs up the configuration files needed to duplicate this server on another ZENworks Server.
(file path) - Path to the file to which the ZENworks Server configuration files are backed up. If the server contains the embedded database, use the database-backup command to back up the database. To restore the server on another server installation, you must first restore the configuration files by using the zenserver-restore command, and then restore the database. The command prompts for a passphrase to encrypt the backed-up file. Make a note of the specified passphrase because you need to enter it for restoring the server.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/pdfdoc/zen11_utils/zen11_utils.pdf

As your going to new hardware not so bad. I wasn't going to new hardware as i said so didn't have the option of replug in the old hardware. What I did to test my process was run up vm of a new zone and tested the process away from the live ZONE.

Hope that helps.

thanks

Spencer
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spencapl;2270118 wrote:
Hi

I did 12 primary servers last year much like yourself, upgraded them from Server 2003 -> Server 2008 R2, but was using the same hardware. So re-install of the OS but you would have similar process for it.

Big one is if one of those servers is the CA, then make sure you back that up! Backup content repo otherwise you will need to wait for a sync to happen between the primaries which can take some time depending on the links ?

Check out this doc and section 2.2 - http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/pdfdoc/zen11_sys_disaster_recovery/zen11_sys_disaster_recovery.pdf

Also really useful is the zman zsb command, for some reason not in the DR doc ???? This is used if your calling the server the same name. I have folder with all my ZEN servers in, so when registering it goes to the root of the server folder. This will make it swap over otherwise you end up with multiple servers with the same name.

zenserver-backup (zsb) (file path)
Backs up the configuration files needed to duplicate this server on another ZENworks Server.
(file path) - Path to the file to which the ZENworks Server configuration files are backed up. If the server contains the embedded database, use the database-backup command to back up the database. To restore the server on another server installation, you must first restore the configuration files by using the zenserver-restore command, and then restore the database. The command prompts for a passphrase to encrypt the backed-up file. Make a note of the specified passphrase because you need to enter it for restoring the server.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/pdfdoc/zen11_utils/zen11_utils.pdf

As your going to new hardware not so bad. I wasn't going to new hardware as i said so didn't have the option of replug in the old hardware. What I did to test my process was run up vm of a new zone and tested the process away from the live ZONE.

Hope that helps.

thanks

Spencer

Thanks Spencer thats great going to have a go this week will let you know how it goes
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.