dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Setting a Default SMB printer in a pure AD environment

I have a client who is not able to set a default printer in a pure AD environment. They are pushing out the printer with ZCM but it never sets the printer as the default. Any ideas?

- Dariusz Swierzewski
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Setting a Default SMB printer in a pure AD environment

Here is what I am seeing.

If the workstation has a printer that has been set as default either by a user or application, like Adobe PDF Printer, than the newly deployed printer does not override what is set, even if you set it as default in ZCC.

Any ideas how we can resolve this issue?

If there are no printers on the PC than all works like a charm.

I do get the following error if there are or are not printers on the wks.

ERROR] [03/03/2010 13:49:54.383] [1712] [ZenworksWindowsService] [54] [dni] [printer policy] [POLICYHANDLERS.PrinterPolicy.UserDeamonNotFound] [Unable to get the user deamon while enforcing printer policy. Printer Policy may only be partially enforced.] [Failed to set default] [null]

- Dariusz Swierzewski
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dariusz71;1941210 wrote:
Here is what I am seeing.

If the workstation has a printer that has been set as default either by a user or application, like Adobe PDF Printer, than the newly deployed printer does not override what is set, even if you set it as default in ZCC.

Any ideas how we can resolve this issue?

If there are no printers on the PC than all works like a charm.

I do get the following error if there are or are not printers on the wks.

ERROR] [03/03/2010 13:49:54.383] [1712] [ZenworksWindowsService] [54] [dni] [printer policy] [POLICYHANDLERS.PrinterPolicy.UserDeamonNotFound] [Unable to get the user deamon while enforcing printer policy. Printer Policy may only be partially enforced.] [Failed to set default] [null]

Is the printer policy assigned to device or user?

Thomas
0 Likes
dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1941216 wrote:
Is the printer policy assigned to device or user?

Thomas

Assigned to the Workstation

- Dariusz Swierzewski
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dariusz71;1941232 wrote:
Assigned to the Workstation

Could you try assigning the policy to user instead and see if it works for testing purposes?

Thomas
0 Likes
dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1941233 wrote:
Could you try assigning the policy to user instead and see if it works for testing purposes?

Thomas

I am in the PC now, let me do that and see what happens. The problem is that this is a School District and these are labs, so it defeats the purpose.

- Dariusz Swierzewski
0 Likes
Highlighted
dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1941233 wrote:

Thomas

Same result, policy still fails and never changes the default printer.

- Dariusz Swierzewski
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dariusz71;1941239 wrote:
Same result, policy still fails and never changes the default printer.

Strange.. You should try reproducing this in a virtual environment. We don't use smb printers here so I can't try to reproduce.

Maybe this could be a workaround:

Set the default printer for all users on a Windows XP computer « neverblog.net

Create a script bundle to run at login @ those lab computers.

Thomas
0 Likes
dariusz71 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1941254 wrote:
Strange.. You should try reproducing this in a virtual environment. We don't use smb printers here so I can't try to reproduce.

Maybe this could be a workaround:

Set the default printer for all users on a Windows XP computer « neverblog.net

Create a script bundle to run at login @ those lab computers.

Thomas

I am chatting with NTS right now and will let you know what the resolution is if any. Waiting for a reply back from one of their ASE's.

- Dariusz Swierzewski
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dariusz71;1941255 wrote:
I am chatting with NTS right now and will let you know what the resolution is if any. Waiting for a reply back from one of their ASE's.

Cool, yes please let us know so that it may help other with same problem.

Thomas
0 Likes
rankerich Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any solution? We've got similar errors "Unable to get the user deamon while enforcing printer policy" that we can't seem to resolve...policy doesn't apply consistantly.

Same situation for us. These are school labs and iprint policies are applied to the device.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.