Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Simple way to get PXE Image Menu?

Hi. I've spent quite a bit of time reviewing various posts and also the ZCM documentation. I cannot see a simple way of obtaining a menu where I can select to provide various options to the Imaging utility. Sure I can edit the initial PXE menu, but I want something which gives me a list of options like "restore image1, restore image2, backup pc" etc etc and that initial menu cannot it seems. The options look like buying a 3rd party product or compiling the initrd for myself. Sure the compiling option may sound simple to most on here, but we have zero experience (no linux base) with this and it seems quite a chore for something so basic. Hence I would request if anybody has other simple solutions we can employ?

Thanks in advance
mplep
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Simple way to get PXE Image Menu?

mplep,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_general.html

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
mjgalloway Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't have an alternate solution for you, but I can testify that the pxe menu customization + the initrd script customization does work very well. Instead of having to repackage the initrd everytime you want to make a change, a successful method is to have the script connect to a network share for the scripts, then you can just edit the scripts on the share, instead of unpacking the initrd.

I know it may sound intimidating, it certainly was for me when I began working on it, but it ended up not being that difficult and definitely worth the time.

There's some good documentation in the ZenWorks docs as well as Cool Solutions. If you do decide to use the initrd scripts method, and you're having trouble feel free to contact me at acsysnet at gmail dot com.
0 Likes
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi mjgalloway,

Thanks for your advice. I think that script on share method sounds great and the way to go. Am getting back into the imaging issue fairly soon and appreciate your input.

Any further advice from anyone glady received, perhaps even an already compiled 10.1 initrd 🙂
0 Likes
rvhskent Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mplep;1659139 wrote:
Hi mjgalloway,

Thanks for your advice. I think that script on share method sounds great and the way to go. Am getting back into the imaging issue fairly soon and appreciate your input.

Any further advice from anyone glady received, perhaps even an already compiled 10.1 initrd 🙂

I'm working thru a similar task where i want to create a pxemenu.txt submenus that will give the user a choice of images to bring down. if you look in the pxemenu.txt file there is an example submenu already there. The documentation is a little thin in the area of working with the images from teh client, there is documentation on controlling activities from the server.

Does someone have an example script? It seems like if I can get the IMG to run you can build a cmd line img file, but how can you get the Img to fire off at the end of the menu.
We went thru modifying the submenus (to boot a machine to win98 as an example) in the novell ATT for zcm but did not go as far as to launch an specific imaging task from a cfg file.

this is the stock imaging mantenance mode command that gets you to the # prompt, if i can get it to fire off a IMG i can work out the IMG commands manualy.

append 5 initrd=boot\initrd mode=5 rootimage=/root install=tftp://$PXESERVER/boot splash=manual vga=0x314 tftptimeout=50 $KERNEL_PARMS

Maybe if someone could explain what is happening in this defautl script it'll make more sense?
0 Likes
nwbazl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What we did is creating a script file called menu.txt in %ZENWORKSHOMEDIR%\Novell\ZENworks\share\tftpand add the following lines to settings.txt

tftp $PROXYADDR -c get menu.txt /bin/menu
chmod 777 /bin/menu
cd /bin

After getting the prompt just type "menu".

Unfortualy we did not manage to start menu from a script.

The other tip we are looking for bypassing the ZENWORKS Pre Boot Menu. Does someone have tips about this issue.

For ZenWorks 6/6.5 and 7 you can find a solution on: Cool Solutions: How to bypass ZENworks Preboot Menu
0 Likes
Mike021548141 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Agreed script file on a share is a good way to go. One alternative used in ZfD is use scripted image objects in the directory and use LDAP to lookup to the directory to display a list of images to deploy e.g.
Cool Solutions: ZfD PXE LDAP Image Utility

You can do a similar action by doing a SQL query to the ZCM database to get a list of images to deploy.... This will become easier once the SDK is released...

MC

Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler
0 Likes
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

nwbazl;1662807 wrote:
What we did is creating a script file called menu.txt in %ZENWORKSHOMEDIR%\Novell\ZENworks\share\tftp

That was it, just what I was looking for. No decompile/recompile for a Windows numptee like me, just an easily accessible folder with a text file to edit at leisure, wonderful.

OK, the menu is very basic, but we have a list of commands which can be launched by hitting a key and then return.

In conjunctions with your suggestion. Below is what I am using (still tweaking). I renamed my file menu.s instead of menu.txt, as the latter would give me some errors when running. I also get errors when running the "clear" command in the script!?

I'm sure that lines below look terrible to a script wizard, so any improvements are welcome.

Thanks very much.

bin/bash
setterm -background blue
setterm -bold

while [ "$input" != "0" ]
do

echo "****************************************"
echo "* Imaging Menu - Choose Options and hit Return **"
echo "****************************************"
echo ""
setterm -background black
echo " Use Imaging Tool in Manual Mode with Menus"
echo "[1] Quick Create Manual Image of PC"
echo "[2] Quick Restore Manual Image to PC"
echo ""
setterm -background blue
echo "******* SYSPREP RESTORE OPTIONS *******"
echo ""
echo "[3] Restore XP User Image"
echo "[4] Restore XP IT Image"
setterm -background blue
echo "********************************************"
echo ""
echo "[!wipe] WIPE ALL LOCAL PARTITIONS - BE CAREFUL!"
echo " View Zen Image Safe Data Area"
echo " Edit Zen Image Safe Data Area"
echo " Quit"
echo " Reboot PC"
read input

case $input in

m)

img
break
;;

"1" )

while test ! $IMGNAME; do
echo -n "Enter the Image File Name without the ZMG extension on the end: "
read IMGNAME;
done;

img -makep $IMGNAME.zmg
break
;;

"2")

while test ! $IMGNAME; do
echo -n "Enter the Image File Name without the ZMG extension on the end: "
read IMGNAME;
done;

img -restorep IMGNAME.zmg
break
;;

3)

img -restorep Syspreps/user/sysprep.zmg
break
;;

4)

img -restorep Syspreps/IT/sysprep.zmg
break
;;

!wipe)
img -pd -all
;;

v)
zisview -z
setterm -background blue
setterm -bold
;;

e)
zisedit
setterm -background blue
setterm -bold
;;

"q")
setterm -reset
echo "Type 'menu' to invoke Imaging Menu"
echo "or"
echo "Type 'img' to invoke Zenworks Imaging Utility"
exit 0
;;

r)

reboot -f
break
;;

esac
done
exit 0
0 Likes
hvpstechie Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have also used this method to create a menu.

How we have gotten it to boot up automatically is add the line:

export IMGCMD="/bin/menu"

add this in the settings.txt file underneath were you have done the tftp grap and chmod

You will also need to add the "Manual Reboot= yes " option so the automatic menu will not reboot the machine.

Then if you edit the pxemenu.txt file and enable the ForceOption=1 then it will work. The ForceOption tells the zen menu to automatically select an option. 1 is for auto imaging, 2 is for Maintenance and so on.
0 Likes
ipst13 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nice information!
We're in the process of changing our way of doing with the imaging part.
Adding a script menu, that you can change dynamicaly is great for me aswell. No toying around with the initrd file anymore!

Question:
What does the IMGCMD command looks like in your settings.txt file?

I didn't find much information on the syntax of that command.

And where do you put your menu.s file on the server? directly in the tftp directory?

thanks

Cheers!
0 Likes
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ipst13;1674617 wrote:

What does the IMGCMD command looks like in your settings.txt file?

I didn't find much information on the syntax of that command.

And where do you put your menu.s file on the server? directly in the tftp directory?

Yes, menu.s went into the TFTP folder. Am not at that client now to answer the first part I'm afraid, but everything in this thread will get it going.
0 Likes
ipst13 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is for a CD/DVD setup right?
Because it doesn't seem to work for the CTRL-DEL way!

Thanks

Cheers!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.