Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Chris Mosentine Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Stopping Windows 10 from changing boot order

Hi all:  I have always used MBR boot partitions, but now we will be upgrading to new desktops and I am now experimenting with Secure Boot imaging.  I have a new image created and figured out how to apply secondary images as well (use partition 4).  However, Windows 10 is changing the boot order in the UEFI, moving PXE boot to the bottom of the list.  This really sucks as I count on all my computers booting into PXE first.

I need to CONVINCE Windows to stop doing this.  Is that possible?  If it is not then I will have to give up on secure boot and go back to MBR instead.

Thanks for your time, Chris.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Stopping Windows 10 from changing boot order

This has to do with UEFI vs MBR not Secure Boot.  You can use UEFI without using Secure Boot.

When booting via UEFI, the system will try and read the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) from the EFI  Partition on the primary boot drive.  The information in the BCD will generally flow back to the UEFI Firmware.

I would recommend trying to create a single Image that contains all of the necessary partitions.  This may be simpler.

The root cause of your issue is most likely the separate EFI partition you are laying down that contains BCD data  that moves the network boot down the boot order list.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Craig:  As always, thanks for your input.  Since this is my first time trying to create an image with secure boot I have a lot to sort through.

Regarding your advise on image creation, I am a bit fuzzy on what you mean.  I created my image from virtual machine set up as secure boot which was sysprep'ed.  I took the image with the command img mp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx filename.  This image did indeed capture all four partitions.  Based on your comment, are you saying I should only capture the Windows partition, or should I edit my image file and remove the EFI partition?

Another thing I question is if managing the UEFI settings via Windows Recovery/Troubleshooting writes the correct information back to the firmware or to the EFI partition?  How does one gt the EFI partition and firmware in sync?

Thanks again, Chris.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Keep in mind, I've never heard of this issue before nor did I get many hits on google searches.

However, based on your comment that the issue is specifically related to UEFI images and knowing the EFI can impact the UEFI Firmware, that is where I'm thinking the issue may exist.

One thing you may want to consider is enabling PXE Boot and moving it to the top of the order prior to creating your image. 

Note: Many Vendors such as Dell and HP have tools that allow you to configure the BIOS/UEFI.  It may be possible to configure the UEFI/BIOS as part of the imaging process.  PXE Boot Settings may be configurable this way as well.

But again, I've never heard of this issue before, so I'm just making some educated guesses.

--
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: Looks like my guess may be correct....

Here is a similar thread....no great solutions.....but some things that may help....

https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/11917/windows-10-uefi-and-fast-startup/4

--
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

https://serverfault.com/questions/714337/changing-uefi-boot-order-from-windows/748945

--
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thanks Craig, I'll check that out.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.