Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
daniel_99_1999 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Surface Pro 3 BSOD

Hi Craig,

SR 10997408241 logged
0 Likes
StefanKernWorth Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Heya,

are there any updates on this topic so far? I wasn't able to find the patch (or was it a public test-version?) someone mentioned in here that should fix this problem,
we're currently also experiencing a crash on a new Lenovo laptop which I'd like to test if this is fixed there too.

Best regards
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Stefan,

There is no reason to think this impacts any device other than the Surface Pro.

#1 - Unless you are using ZESM for other security policies that require controlling hardware, it is best to not load the drivers. This is the proper fix, since MOST Crashes when ZESM Drivers are loaded are actually due to the OTHER Drivers.
Loading low level security drivers unnecessarily is not recommended.

#2 - If you are using ZESM, I would open an SR.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
JHakvoort
New Member.

We have the same problems here with the Surface 3 and 4 Pro (ndis.sys, zeswifi.sys or irql_not_less_or_equal errors).

We are now testing with "Location Awareness Lite" (thanks for the advice).

We activate this option. But how can we see the option "Location Awareness Lite" is active?

The process "ZESService" still looks active (but we don't use it).
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

JHakvoort;2426999 wrote:
We have the same problems here with the Surface 3 and 4 Pro (ndis.sys, zeswifi.sys or irql_not_less_or_equal errors).

We are now testing with "Location Awareness Lite" (thanks for the advice).

We activate this option. But how can we see the option "Location Awareness Lite" is active?

The process "ZESService" still looks active (but we don't use it).

ZESService is used for BOTH "Full" and "Location Lite".
It is always required.

There are a few ways to verify, but I prefer to run MSINFO and look to see what Drivers are loaded.
There should not be an "Z" Drivers related to ZESM.
--
0 Likes
JHakvoort
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2427013 wrote:
ZESService is used for BOTH "Full" and "Location Lite".
It is always required.

There are a few ways to verify, but I prefer to run MSINFO and look to see what Drivers are loaded.
There should not be an "Z" Drivers related to ZESM.

The only driver loaded with a "Z" is: "zesfw" with the description: "Novell ZENworks Location Awareness" and the location: "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\zesfw.sys". Is that right?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

All my lab devices are running Full ZESM so I cannot 100% verify this instant, but I don't believe even that should be loaded.
From memory, that is the driver causing the issue.

Along with "Location Lite" being set, do you see ZESM listed among the installed spokes on the agent? This needs to bet set to uninstalled, or ZESM will load drivers.
Also ensure "Client Self-Defense is disabled, or I believe it will also load drivers".
--
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craigdwilson,

I just did some searching and yes, that's the driver...

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
JHakvoort
New Member.

This is a nice comment to my earlier reply. Good news.

After activation of "Location Awareness Lite" the problems seems to disappear.

The driver "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\zesfw.sys" is still loaded.

The bluescreens are gone (it seems to be). So we are happy 😄
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hello there,

I can confirm that the Bluescreen problem is happening not only on the Surface Pro 3 which we have but additionally on a Lenovo ThinkPad E560 (both with Windows 10) connected either via LAN or WiFi (doesn't really matter).
Freshly installed ZENworks, rebooted, logged in and right after the Desktop loaded I had the very first Bluescreen happening (ndis.sys). Really annoyed of this by now to be honest, you can't really give a laptop in this state out to a customer...

I'll try the solution mentioned here to disable the service but this is definitely not a permanent solution to this problem.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

nshawatnovell;2421020 wrote:
There is a FTF to replace the ZesWiiFi driver, with a fix for this BSOD.

Self extracting EXE to patch to 11.4.1 ZesWiFi, this driver is NOT Microsoft Certified (WHQLed)

A release version of this driver will be included in the ZENworks 11.4.2 update.

Would you be so kind and provide a link if possible? I can't seem to find it, either it got removed or I'm simply not looking hard enough 🙂
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

StefanKernWorth,

the link was to bugzilla, and we're not authorised to get it. FTF
should not be posted here - there's a process to get FTFs - by all
means open a SR with Micro Focus and quote that bug

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.