Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
jano2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sybase internal or oracle

Hello!

Have done some testing. Installed ZCM 10.2 with the internal database. Connected to the server with a testcomputer and installed the agent. Everything seems to work fine. After that, I imported the bundles and policies. When logging in from the testcomputer the database uses 100% of CPU the server it suddenly takes forever until the testcomputer is logged in and ZenworksWindowsService.exe uses 1.2 Gb up to 4 Gb of memory and everything between 40 to 99% of local CPU. Repeated the installation from scratch two times and the result is the same.

Installed it a third time and did exactly the same but used an external oracle database instead. And the problem doesn't appear. No 100% databases and no slow logins.

I have used one server as a ZCM-server connecting to eDirectory to get the users. And when using an external database it has been installed on my PC. Ther are about 100 bundles and 100 policies imported , none of them assigned to the testcomputer. The testcomputer is a Windows 2008 server.

Does anyone have the same experiences? Or even better can someone explain whats happening.

Best wishes1
Jan
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Sybase internal or oracle

jano,

>Have done some testing. Installed ZCM 10.2 with the internal database.
>Connected to the server with a testcomputer and installed the agent.
>Everything seems to work fine. After that, I imported the bundles and
>policies. When logging in from the testcomputer the database uses 100%
>of CPU the server it suddenly takes forever until the testcomputer is
>logged in and ZenworksWindowsService.exe uses 1.2 Gb up to 4 Gb of
>memory and everything between 40 to 99% of local CPU. Repeated the
>installation from scratch two times and the result is the same.

I haven't heard that, but that doesn't mean to much. I wonder if it's the
fact that it's local or if the DB being oracle made any difference. What
if you would have used MS SQL instead of oracle on an external server?

In production I always split the two systems apart as a best practices.

--
Jared Jennings
Novell Support Forums Sysop
Senior Systems Architect, Data Technique, Inc.
http://www.datatechnique.com

My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
jano2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If i have the time, i will try as it's only in demo environment now. I also been thinking of running sybase on external or oracle on same machine. But every test take some time.

Best wishes!
Jan
0 Likes
cjwardedu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jan,

For the past week or so I have been having a similar issue that you describe with the internal database being 100% CPU on the server and ZCC freezes randomly. This issue only came up after updating to SP2 from 10.1.3. We currently only have 147 workstations and 5 server registered with ZCM with no external user sources connected to ZCM.

So far no one knows why this is happening and we have tried different troubleshooting steps to avoid having to do a disaster recover of ZCM. I finally got 10.2 baseline on ZCM and I hoping that this solves the issue as I am thinking that the problem might have been with ZCM trying to baseline a large number of workstations.

jano;1809887 wrote:
Hello!

Have done some testing. Installed ZCM 10.2 with the internal database. Connected to the server with a testcomputer and installed the agent. Everything seems to work fine. After that, I imported the bundles and policies. When logging in from the testcomputer the database uses 100% of CPU the server it suddenly takes forever until the testcomputer is logged in and ZenworksWindowsService.exe uses 1.2 Gb up to 4 Gb of memory and everything between 40 to 99% of local CPU. Repeated the installation from scratch two times and the result is the same.

Installed it a third time and did exactly the same but used an external oracle database instead. And the problem doesn't appear. No 100% databases and no slow logins.

I have used one server as a ZCM-server connecting to eDirectory to get the users. And when using an external database it has been installed on my PC. Ther are about 100 bundles and 100 policies imported , none of them assigned to the testcomputer. The testcomputer is a Windows 2008 server.

Does anyone have the same experiences? Or even better can someone explain whats happening.

Best wishes1
Jan
0 Likes
acmenews Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've had this happen once. Doing a zman db to back up the database and truncate the transaction log fixed it for me. Prior to that, I'd tried rebooting which did not fix it.

Logs had various Java SQL errors in it.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cjwardedu,

>For the past week or so I have been having a similar issue that you
>describe with the internal database being 100% CPU on the server and ZCC
>freezes randomly. This issue only came up after updating to SP2 from
>10.1.3. We currently only have 147 workstations and 5 server registered
>with ZCM with no external user sources connected to ZCM.

I know that the sybase DB for ZLM had some issues like this and I would
run a vaccum on it and it would resolve the issue. I think this is
supported on ZCM too.

--
Jared Jennings
Novell Support Forums Sysop
Senior Systems Architect, Data Technique, Inc.
http://www.datatechnique.com

My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.