Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
stedwards_suppo
New Member.

UEFI Imaging using pxe menu

Hey guys,

We're currently imaging Windows 8.1 using legacy BIOS by using a custom pxe menu, linked to config files for each computer model which dumps an image bundle created in Zenworks. Here's an example of a config file:

ZENWORKSAPPEND 1
DEFAULT imaging
LABEL imaging
kernel boot\linux
append 5 initrd=boot\initrd mode=2 rootimage=/root install=tftp://$PXESERVER/boot splash=silent vga=0x314 tftptimeout=50 $KERNEL_PARMS IMGCMD="img -rp images/430_Win8"

Now that all of our devices support UEFI, we're looking to switch over to it. I've created a UEFI Windows image which I am trying to deploy, but I can't get the config file right located in:
/srv/tftp/efi/x86_64

There are some config files already in there, which I have used to try and make a custom one with, but I just can't get it to boot and deploy an image bundle. Here's the contents of my config file I have so far:

image=/efi/x86_64/linux
label=NovellB_EnableZEN
description="Enable ZENPartition"
initrd=/efi/x86_64/initrd
append="mode=5 splash=silent showopts vga=0x0314"
IMGCMD="img -rp images/830_Win8_UEFI"

Help is greatly appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
stedwards_suppo
New Member.

Re: UEFI Imaging using pxe menu

Do in some more testing with the efi booting if I copy the z_auto.conf to a different name and a pxemenu item for it then run that at boot the laptop won't download files from the tftp server and looks for the cdrom or hdd.

Any clue what is wrong?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Can you try 11.3.2? I see this in the list of fixes for 11.3.2: 892133 - Custom menu scripting PXE with UEFI partitions not working (same menu as with BIOS)

Also see: https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks113/zen11_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bve6kpq.html#bvekwrt

Thomas
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi

Just as Thomas wrote, try 11.3.2 and see if this solves your problem. I've had a lot of work getting this to work... had to create subfolders. So the files had to get the same name as the once in the default folder.

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
VossiusGymnasiu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For me it as worked with:
this option in pxemenu.txt
[Main]
MenuTitle = ZENworks Preboot Options
option = "execute;Start HP800G1 Cur;ZENworks Imaging in Automated Mode;efi/x86_64/bootx64.efi;efi/x86_64/hp800g1cur.conf"

and my hp800g1cur.conf is:

#====================== WARNING! ======================#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
#
# Modifying this file is unsupported and can have
# unpredictable results on ZENworks Preboot Services
#======================================================#

image=/efi/x86_64/linux
label=NovellB_Manual
description="Manual Mode"
append="mode=2 splash=silent showopts vga=0x0314 IMGCMD=\"img -rp /2015/hp800g1cur.zmg\""
0 Likes
stedwards_suppo
New Member.

Thanks, Vossius. Sorry for the late reply, I managed to get this working.

Although, due to the limited Zenworks Imaging support with Surface Pro 4's we're forced to use third-party WinPE imaging for these devices.

I was wondering, is it achievable to image from the PXE menu using WinPE as it is with Zenworks?

I have created a Third-Party Image bundle like all of our Zenworks Image bundles, but I cannot figure out how to deploy the contents of the bundle from the PXE Menu.

Has anybody done this?

This is the efi winpe.conf I've been working with.

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
#
image=boot\pxeboot.0
label=NovellB_WinPe
description="WinPe"
0 Likes
matt3680 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I know this is a late reply - but it appears you have to use "mode=2" to make the custom IMGCMD command run (my IMGCMD just runs my custom menu.s file). However, if I switch to mode=2, it also auto-reboots the computer after it's done imaging. I'm looking for a way to prevent the auto-reboot at the end of imaging - do you know a way around that?
0 Likes
matt3680 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry, I should've tried more things first before I posted. VossiusGymnasium was right with the mode=2, and I just had to alter my settings.txt to have MANUALREBOOT=NO. That worked for UEFI autoload my custom menu.s menu, the tech can make a choice from the list, and after the machine finishes imaging, it waits for the tech to reboot or shutdown the machine.
0 Likes
stedwards_suppo
New Member.

Thanks for your reply, Matt.

I actually got this working yesterday before I saw your post. Here's my conf file:

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
#

image=/efi/x86_64/linux
label=NovellB_Manual
description="Manual Mode"
append="mode=2 splash=silent showopts vga=0x0314 IMGCMD=\"img -rp /images/430_Win10\""

One thing to note is that I couldn't make menu items appear in the PXE menu if the .conf file started with a number. In my pxemenu.txt example, I had to add 'hp' to to 430_win10.conf otherwise the option would be blank.

[Main]
MenuTitle = ZENworks Preboot Options
option = "execute;Start ZENworks Imaging;ZENworks Imaging in Automated Mode;efi/x86_64/bootx64.efi;efi/x86_64/z_auto.conf"
option = "execute;Start ZENworks Imaging Maintenance;ZENworks Imaging Linux Session in Interactive Mode;efi/x86_64/bootx64.efi;efi/x86_64/z_maint.conf"
option = "execute;WinPE Maintenance Mode;Launch WADK WinPE environment;efi/x86_64/bootmgfw.efi;efi/x86_64/winpe.conf"
option = "execute;HP ProBook 430;ZENworks Imaging in Automated Mode;efi/x86_64/bootx64.efi;efi/x86_64/hp430_win10.conf"
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.