ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

UEFI & ZEN Imaging Kernel

Hi,

We must to install few Latitude 10, XPS 12 on Windows 8, the image is ready but we cannot boot with the ZEN Imaging kernel on a USB (or with the bootcd.iso on a CD).
I have disabled the "secure boot mode" in the UEFI but without result.

A compatible kernel to boot with UEFI is planned ?

Have you a temporary solution to deploy the image ?

Best Regards

Michael.
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Michaelvdh,
> Have you a temporary solution to deploy the image ?

See:
http://forums.novell.com/novell/novell-product-discussion-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-11/zcm11-imaging/447443-efi-support.html

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We tested the Latitude 10 and had the same issue. Dell gave us a work around that used Windows Deployment Services and an external USB NIC for imaging. The dock is useless for PXE booting because of UEFI. Basically, you need a USB NIC that is supported by the ZCM imaging engine and then you have to build a USB flash drive to boot it as the Latitude 10 does not have a CD drive. The Dell instructions used SCCM, not ZCM so good luck michaelvdh. Email me if you want the Dell instructions.

The Novell article referenced by AndersG is from October 2011. It is now April 2013 Novell. Microsoft supports UEFI PXE now with SCCM 2012 SP1 by the way. I read another article from Novell on ZCM planned features and releases. It stated that EFI support was going to be phased in between version 11.2.4 and 11.2.5. I do not believe that is due out until late this year or early next year at best. 11.2.3a is current and I just verified that the new April 2013 imaging engine does not work on EFI systems. It will not even boot the CD or PXE.

The funny fact is that SLES 11 SP2 does support a PXE server that will boot UEFI systems and the installation CD for SLES 11 SP2 64-bit also boots UEFI systems and installs to them. The 32-bit SLES 11 SP2 does not do this.

Personally, I have opened at least a half dozen SR's with Novell on ZCM version 11.2.2 and up and I still have 3 major issues open right now. ZCM application linked add-on images do not apply to workstations where Windows is not installed on partition 1. (Pre-OS deployment imaging) The answer I got was delete the partition. Windows 7 and 8 both create this partition automatically so that doesn't work well and no further action on this SR. Another major one is ZCM does not apply image file sets when you select a preboot bundle and tell it to use a file set. Try it yourself. Select an add-on image in ZCC (with multiple file sets) and tell it to apply a specific file set to a machine. Now watch ZCM boot the workstation and apply all file sets on the image. That issue has been open since August or September of 2012.

Honestly, these type of delays are seriously hurting us. My bosses want to know why we are sticking with ZCM instead of going to SCCM and with issues like this, where new hardware is not supported and not planned for months, and issues go unresolved for months or more, it is very difficult to justify staying with ZCM and Novell. Novell needs to listen to its customers because these are the type of issues that are seriously cutting their market share. Add MS changing things like certain Windows features like GPO folder redirection and shifting several IE 9/10 options to GPP policies that are only supported on AD / SCCM domains and you have a perfect storm brewing against sticking with ZENworks. It is a superior product in my opinion but these issues are hard to defend against.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Michaelvdh,

yes, it's planned and being worked on right now, expected in ZCM

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I understand it’s the same problem for us and personally I like Novell and ZENworks is a good product but for an enterprise who needs to follow the technological evolution, Novell has a lot of late.
My boss was very happy from Novell and since 2 or 3 years...

We use the tablet's for our sellers and It is impossible to uniformize our IT park... All is ready for us we need to wait Novell now... And if I must wait at the next year it's not possible...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi spond,

Thanks for the information, I try my chance, you don't have a pre-beta version for the guys in the case of pfurches and me ?

Michael.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi AndersG,

the problem is that for a lot of new product there are no NIC embedded, are with a UEFI. I cannot start without USB or external CD-Rom and without UEFI bootloader on my USB Key it's impossible to launch anything and deploy the image.

Michael.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Michaelvdh,

nothing that I can share...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can you at least share the projected release schedule for 11.2.4 or 11.2.5?

We understand projects fall behind. But asking a customer to commit to an indefinite wait is too much. Novell needs to at least communicate their plans.

It might not be what we want to hear but at least we have something to tell our bosses when they come to us for answers. It will be 6 months is a better answer than "I don't know."
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Pfurches,

say around the start of August? Obviously anyone who watched the birth
pangs of 11.2.3 knows that no date is definite, but that's the sort of
timescale we're aiming for

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi pfurches,You are absolutely right. We used to deploy most our network services with Novell product, ex. Zenworks, iFolder, iPrint, Groupwise, eDirectory etc, but after a few years with endless headache with Novell buggy product, we started move to MS solution. Zenworks used to a fantastic product, We were very happy and confident with Zen 7, but after upgrading to ZCM 10 and ZCM 11, we found the new Zenworks is defect-ridden. To be honest, we like the new handy Web configuration interface and the client GUI, but the major problem is it contains a large number of bugs, from DLU(Dynamic Local User), Group Policy to Application Bundles. All these problems make us move from eDirectory to MS Active Directory and look for the MS alternatives.I have to admit that most Novell product is great if less buggy. the way and the concept how ZCM works is fantastic, ex. ZCM NAL Window provides a user-friendly way to deploy applications, but when you are actually using ZCM, you will find out a lots of its functionalities do not work as they should. The way that MS SCCM deploy applications is not as user-friendly as ZCM NAL Window, so we have to develop our own Application Windows provide a user-friendly way to deploy Apps. Our own Application Windows is not as many functions as ZCM NAL Window, but the most important part is it our own Application Windows stable and with less users complaints.I am sorry to said all these complaints, I am a faithful Novell user since 1990s. I still remember Netware 3.12, it was the only best solution for the network back to that time. I don't want to see Novell market share keep shrinking, I would like to see in the nearly future, Novell can get its dominant market position again!Come on, Novell, please listen to the users and know what they actually need, solve the problems they have and you will get your market share back!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi guys, I have no idea why my previous post have lost all the Carriage Return.I have tried to edit it again to correct it but in vain.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.