Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
jcmeller Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unable to read the system settings from local cache

I get this error from both a test satellite server and one I currently have in production. It happens every two hours on the refresh schedule. Does anyone have an idea as to the cause? Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
27 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unable to read the system settings from local cache

jcmeller,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
frichi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have same problem
0 Likes
martinusen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

frichi;1926559 wrote:
I have same problem

Me to. Installed a SLES11 (64bit) satellite in our 10.2.2 environment about two weeks ago. I get this error twice a day:

Full Message: Unable to read the system settings from local cache.
Additional Information: None
Severity: Error
Date: February 16, 2010 3:20:55 AM
Acknowledged Date: None
Source: /Devices/Servers/ztsat01
Message ID: SettingsModule.SettingsReadErrorFromLocalCache
Probable Cause URL: None
Log ID: c757f083d45a012dbe81648f663e7b42
Related Objects: None

The satellite has its content-repo mapped via a symbolic link. Wonder if that causes the error?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

I can make the error happen if I corrupt one of the files in /var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings by just putting junk characters into one of the xml's so it's not valid format.

Was this after an update?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

sperrin;1943140 wrote:
I can make the error happen if I corrupt one of the files in /var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings by just putting junk characters into one of the xml's so it's not valid format.

Was this after an update?

The satellite was installed after we updated to 10.2.2. The issue has been there from day one (on the satellite).
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

TID 7005418 talks about this error if you have mounted [/var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings as an NSS volume and use patch management.

Depending on the zmd-messages log (zac log level DEBUG) then refresh you may or may not see more errors around this.

If I set /var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/ to write only, for example, I can also reproduce the error.

So one or more /var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/ is possibly corrupt (invalid xml) or can't be read (ownership, rights etc) by owner (root for satellites).

If you back up the files in just this directory to another for safekeeping, a zac ref should repopulate [/var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/.

If it doesn't repopulate then there's a problem reaching the server to read settings.

I would like to see better logging here to point you to which file is giving problems, if you don't already see that in the logs. When I set up scenarios to make the error happen, I'm not getting much in the logs.

Can you send a file listing (ls -la) of [/var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/

and a zmd-messages debug and above? Since it may not read settings to get that logging run zac log level DEBUG explicitly to set it.

If we're not seeing helpful errors I want to make a bug to request more specifics in the log.

Thank you
Susan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

sperrin;1943501 wrote:
TID 7005418 talks about this error if you have mounted [/var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings as an NSS volume and use patch management.

Depending on the zmd-messages log (zac log level DEBUG) then refresh you may or may not see more errors around this.

If I set /var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/ to write only, for example, I can also reproduce the error.

So one or more /var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/ is possibly corrupt (invalid xml) or can't be read (ownership, rights etc) by owner (root for satellites).

If you back up the files in just this directory to another for safekeeping, a zac ref should repopulate [/var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/.

If it doesn't repopulate then there's a problem reaching the server to read settings.

I would like to see better logging here to point you to which file is giving problems, if you don't already see that in the logs. When I set up scenarios to make the error happen, I'm not getting much in the logs.

Can you send a file listing (ls -la) of [/var/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/cache/settings/

and a zmd-messages debug and above? Since it may not read settings to get that logging run zac log level DEBUG explicitly to set it.

If we're not seeing helpful errors I want to make a bug to request more specifics in the log.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan,
Thanks for looking into this. I will email Shaun Pond the relevant files (according to his reply)
Anders
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Also I made TID 7005698 for the condition that Anders helped us discover.

Thank you
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Martinusen,

if the log is too big to upload, you can send it to me spond at novell
dot com and I will see that it gets to Susan by another track...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Neophate Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have this exact same problem. Who can I help troubleshoot as well?
0 Likes
patrick_reeder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We get the same error message on our satellites.

In addition to the above error, I am also seeing the following on my primaries when I view the message logs from the ZCC:

Unable to refresh the system settings from https://127.0.0.1/zenworks-setting-lookup/ service.

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
0 Likes
Neophate Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If I remember correctly, we solved the primary server error messages by re-creating all the tomcat applets from the war files. We still have the sat server errors though.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Neophate;1950562 wrote:
I have this exact same problem. Who can I help troubleshoot as well?

If you open a SR, Novell can now provide you with a ftf which can fix the problem.
0 Likes
Neophate Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Funny how they have not have mentioned that during the SR I have open. But then again, they don't answer my questions or get back to me about it either.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.