Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
RocketJeff Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Update Agent 10.0.3 to 10.1.1

OK, since having a PSE contract is not working at all for us(can't EVER get a right answer ) I'll try the forums. I had a 10.0.3 deployment. I upgraded to 10.1.0 then to 10.1.1. Without updating the agent because I hate this product forcing me to update via a web console when I can use a bundle to push the agent to my PCs. Seriously what is ZEN for anyway. So now I want to upgrade my agents from 10.0.3 to 10.1.1. Now I'm being told that this is impossible and that Novell in their infinite wisdom chose to make the path to upgrade 10.0.3 to 10.1.1 impossible. When I run PreAgentPkg_AgentComplete.exe I get an error that says....

ZENWorks Adaptive Agent already exists on the device
Press Enter to continue

Is it true that upgrading the agent is impossible? Why would I want to upgrade 5000 of my PCs from 10.0.3 to 10.1.0 reboot, then redistribute 10.1.1 to my PCs and reboot again. I've been give two options. (1) Backrev my main ZCM server to 10.1.0 and then upgrade the agents(twice). (2) Uninstall then reinstall.

Neither of these options sound good to me. I need to upgrade these agents. Any ideas?
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies
baltazb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Update Agent 10.0.3 to 10.1.1

I understand the frustration, it looks like Novell needs to fix the method of updating the agents. This is a link that could potential solve the issue.

ZCM 10.1.1 cumulative manual update files

We have been able to fix the same issue by creating a bundle to copy the agent down to the local workstation and then extract it with the -d switch. From what I understand the preagent.exe wants to install in a clean workstation, therefore, giving the error that the agetn already exists.

This is how we were able to extract the agent.
PreAgentPkg_AgentComplete.exe -d C:\zcm
The agent then extracts to the ZCM directory on the local C drive. Once the agent has been extracted it automatically starts to upgrade.

Although we have found a workaround I think the linke I have provided above is the answer to this issue, because it allows for system updates to happen even if agents are not baselined.

ZCM 10.1.1 cumulative manual update files

RocketJeff;1693384 wrote:
OK, since having a PSE contract is not working at all for us(can't EVER get a right answer ) I'll try the forums. I had a 10.0.3 deployment. I upgraded to 10.1.0 then to 10.1.1. Without updating the agent because I hate this product forcing me to update via a web console when I can use a bundle to push the agent to my PCs. Seriously what is ZEN for anyway. So now I want to upgrade my agents from 10.0.3 to 10.1.1. Now I'm being told that this is impossible and that Novell in their infinite wisdom chose to make the path to upgrade 10.0.3 to 10.1.1 impossible. When I run PreAgentPkg_AgentComplete.exe I get an error that says....

ZENWorks Adaptive Agent already exists on the device
Press Enter to continue

Is it true that upgrading the agent is impossible? Why would I want to upgrade 5000 of my PCs from 10.0.3 to 10.1.0 reboot, then redistribute 10.1.1 to my PCs and reboot again. I've been give two options. (1) Backrev my main ZCM server to 10.1.0 and then upgrade the agents(twice). (2) Uninstall then reinstall.

Neither of these options sound good to me. I need to upgrade these agents. Any ideas?
0 Likes
rvhskent Absent Member.
Absent Member.

you should definately checck the 10.1.1c cumlative update. If i remember the 10.1.1 documentation, to deploy it in the first place you need to have 10.1 baselined (by telling the system that you already have the agents at 10.1 and you want to move to the next level).

I'm not sure why you hate having the zcc handle your update to 10.1.1 and you would rather re-invent the wheel and create bundles to try and do the same thing.
I totally agree that the agent update, install, and repair part of the agent is awful and i've had to manually rip and replace hundreds of agents in the last year. you should put in an enhancement request begging novell to work in some sort of agent repair ability into the product. it's much easier to deploy the product on virign machines than to fix broken agents which doesn't seem right.

you should look into the command line zenworksuninstall.exe (i think it's called) if you really want to rip and replace lots of agents. it was a little tricky in older agents but 10.0.3 should be workable. But with the recent release of the 10.1.1c agent you should definately try that first as the documentation indicates it's designed to pull 10.0.3 agents up.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can confirm that 10.0.3 can be updated directly to 10.1.1 using the
10.1.1c update patch.
If 10.0.3 is not updating, you may be missing the SYSTEM_UPDATE.DLL
(systemupdate.dll?) from the ZENworks folder.............

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"rvhskent" <rvhskent@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:rvhskent.3jx7nb@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> you should definately checck the 10.1.1c cumlative update. If i remember
> the 10.1.1 documentation, to deploy it in the first place you need to
> have 10.1 baselined (by telling the system that you already have the
> agents at 10.1 and you want to move to the next level).
>
> I'm not sure why you hate having the zcc handle your update to 10.1.1
> and you would rather re-invent the wheel and create bundles to try and
> do the same thing.
> I totally agree that the agent update, install, and repair part of the
> agent is awful and i've had to manually rip and replace hundreds of
> agents in the last year. you should put in an enhancement request
> begging novell to work in some sort of agent repair ability into the
> product. it's much easier to deploy the product on virign machines than
> to fix broken agents which doesn't seem right.
>
> you should look into the command line zenworksuninstall.exe (i think
> it's called) if you really want to rip and replace lots of agents. it
> was a little tricky in older agents but 10.0.3 should be workable. But
> with the recent release of the 10.1.1c agent you should definately try
> that first as the documentation indicates it's designed to pull 10.0.3
> agents up.
>
>
> --
> rvhskent
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> rvhskent's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3298
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=353130
>

0 Likes
RocketJeff Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So I am able to update using the -d command and exporting the files to a given directory. Still it doesn't make any sense to me why someone would build an upgrade for an app and it not be able to upgrade.

The reasoning behind me not wanting to push the updates using the ZCM Admin console is that my long term solution will be a primary server in my main office maintaining 5000 remote desktops scattered across WAN links. Some of which could be slow. If my primary in one office or DR primary in another is responsible for pushing out the updates then my links will be completely saturated. These sites currently have NBO branch office(since Novell has no future solution for me) which I hope to eventually place SLES/VM servers to run NBO for file/print autoprovisioning edir users from my primary tree. The ZCM Agent install will be staged there and then deploy to the local sites desktop PCs. Yet Novell's solution to support SLES and zoning seems to have gone away from their project plans. It was formerly known as Corona. They were suppose to integrate ZLM and ZCM, uh, what, this past Brainshare?

Anyway, I am merely in the early deployment and testing phases of ZCM. It's currently in my data center only so I could retire altiris and image servers. But 2009 I am deploy to my entire company and need to be able to update agents regularly since ZCM seems VERY buggy.
0 Likes
Highlighted
baltazb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The deployment of the agent using the -d switch is only a workaround. The installation of the 10.1.1 cumulative patch is the solution to your issue. Also read about the concept of Content Distribution Point server (CDPs), that may be the solution for the slow link issue.

RocketJeff;1694955 wrote:
So I am able to update using the -d command and exporting the files to a given directory. Still it doesn't make any sense to me why someone would build an upgrade for an app and it not be able to upgrade.

The reasoning behind me not wanting to push the updates using the ZCM Admin console is that my long term solution will be a primary server in my main office maintaining 5000 remote desktops scattered across WAN links. Some of which could be slow. If my primary in one office or DR primary in another is responsible for pushing out the updates then my links will be completely saturated. These sites currently have NBO branch office(since Novell has no future solution for me) which I hope to eventually place SLES/VM servers to run NBO for file/print autoprovisioning edir users from my primary tree. The ZCM Agent install will be staged there and then deploy to the local sites desktop PCs. Yet Novell's solution to support SLES and zoning seems to have gone away from their project plans. It was formerly known as Corona. They were suppose to integrate ZLM and ZCM, uh, what, this past Brainshare?

Anyway, I am merely in the early deployment and testing phases of ZCM. It's currently in my data center only so I could retire altiris and image servers. But 2009 I am deploy to my entire company and need to be able to update agents regularly since ZCM seems VERY buggy.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.